Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 Problems - Vsc, Engine Sys, 4X4

Stuuy

Hi guys/girls,

Am new to all this so apologies if this is covered elsewhere. Was hoping for some advice or if anyone else has had this sort of problem, trying to keep it brief and not to send u all to sleep, bascially me and my wife r having issues with our Rav 4, its a 2006 (56) diesel xt4. We r just outside of the yrs warranty given from Toyota, but have found recently that warning lights r always coming on, and on a few occasions the car has died and had to be recovered.

The display mostly states 'check VSC system', 'Check engine management', 'check 4x4 system', they all come on together. As mentioned sometimes the cars dies completely, often the feeling of losing power prior to this. We have been into our local dealership at least 4 times, where their computer says nothing is wrong, there is no fault code??, or they have reset it and it seems fine. (my wife reckons the fuel consumption is worse than when 1st bought)

We've had the fuel filter changed (digging deeper the previous owner had fuel filter changed also in 09) where the car worked for a couple of months before the problem came back. We now have to try and pump the filter which seems to get the car going (rac showed us this). However the warnings still come on say every couple of months. The dealerships mechanics hoped the filter change would solve it, it hasnt, they have said it seems the car has a history of fuel issues.....nice of them to tell us that after we had bought the car.

The next step the mechanic at the dealership said would be to take parts of it to bits and really take a good look, however this is heavily labor intensive and would cost us a fortune, money we dont have. I have read somewhere that years ago there was a recall or admission of a problem by toyota which they tried to rectify? is anyone aware of this and does it sound like the same sort of thing.

My wifes reluctant to part with this rav4, however the cost of getting it checked and bits replaced every couple of months is not good, and im toying with the idea of cutting my losses and getting another car (we had a rav4 before this one which surprise had problems causing them to take the car back and give us a refund), 2 ravs and problems each time.

Sorry to bore u, hope someout there can help

thanks

Hi Stuuy + welcome, until somebody more knowledgable than me comes on, this could be an EGR issue, and if the car is also using oil it COULD possibly be eligible for a new engine, but as i say i am not the best to advise, meanwhile sit tight and i am sure someone else will advise :thumbsup: Stew

Hey

like Local hero said this could be an EGR issue. its easy to clean and therres instructions how to do it on this forum. OR it could be the brake light switch on the brake pedal. this is what weas causing my check VSC etc light to come on. however if your car is using oil i woiuld take it to a Toyota dealer and you may be eligable for a brand new engine as Toyota extended the warranty on this and yours is still covered 9I think)

Hi and welcome. As already said I would start with the EGR, I too had this problem. There is plenty of threads relating to issues with it, and with the excessive oil burning. The EGR is easy to clean, there is a good tech pinned at the start of the Forum. Your dealer shouldn't be telling you he is going to strip bits down, the first thing he should be doing is getting the fault code.

Thanks for the response guys really appreciated, needless to say we took the car in today for it to be put through yet another diagnostic check.

This time (out of warranty of course) a fault is found which leads them to the fuel pressure. Something to do with things sticking, but in a nutshell the 'Fuel injector pump' needs replacing. The quote for this part is £900 (exclu vat), without even labor charges. The guy at our dealership said to ignore this price at the moment as he will speak to Toyota and see what they can do.

As per my previous post, we've been having problems with the vehicle not starting for some time and have had it looked at but no-one has been able to pin point the problem. Where the fuel filter (or cap) has been changed we have managed to get the car started by manuelly pumping it, so in my opinion (for what its worth) this problem has been going on for sometime.

There were issues when we first bought the car from the dealer, we had to wait an extra day as it wouldnt start and they were looking at the problem. One would guess this fuel injector pump has been faulty for some time? Anyone with techy knowledge can shed any light on that? maybe it will explain why the car has had starting problems, has died on several occasions and also needed to have the filter/cap pumped manuelly to get it going?, along with my wife mentionning about the car using more and more fuelm as times gone on.

The mechanic at toyota when going through the cars history mentioned it looks like the car has a history of 'fuel problems', the fuel filter/cap being replaced on a few occasions. Could this fuel injector be the problem from years ago????

Seems when the vehicle was recovered approximately 1yr ago (2 months fter purchase), the fault codes that came up the p0088 and p0093 are the code now. Ir seems the work carried out then didnt fix the problem.....so onto their service manager and see where it goes from there

Seems when the vehicle was recovered approximately 1yr ago (2 months fter purchase), the fault codes that came up the p0088 and p0093 are the code now. Ir seems the work carried out then didnt fix the problem.....so onto their service manager and see where it goes from there

Hi,

It seems you need to try a more competent dealer, You should always be able to extract a code with these faults present or past, also stored information at the time of the fault will be present, its very inportent that the correct model is chosen on their tester all to often the user just puts in the basic details and the results are not reconnised by the fault tester. even if this car has had a previouse fuel history problems there is no need for it to have one now, its basically a tank, lines,filter, pump ,and injectors all of which have been well flushed with diesel since, never fitted a pump to a rav yet, there are two control valves fitted to the back of the pump, these are most likely to be a problem,they can be changed in place in about a hour,The vsv light and 4x4 lights come on because of a lack of engine power and are not faults in thier own right,

Where are you and what colour is this RAV. This problem rings a bell.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links