Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Any Ideas?

anchorman

My car has got one of those little Toyota Security stickers in the top left of the screen. The trouble is its gone all bubbly and I've got another with the Toyota recovery phone numbers on. It won't readily peel off - it just chips off a molecule at a time.

Is there an easy way to get it off?

Charlie - is there a chemical or cleaner you know of that will do it?

My car has got one of those little Toyota Security stickers in the top left of the screen. The trouble is its gone all bubbly and I've got another with the Toyota recovery phone numbers on. It won't readily peel off - it just chips off a molecule at a time.

Dab it for a while with a rag soaked in white spirit? Alternatively, a spray with WD40 can work wonders. Or how about some of that Sticy Stuff remover that you can get from those nice folks who put homewares catalogues through the letter box? The juice of a freshly squeezed orange can remove quite a lot of this stuff - it's the main ingredient of the sticky stuff removers.

I will give it a go but the plastic seems quite thick so I don't know if it will penetrate. I think it need something to melt it.

:thumbsup:

Hey I've just found a use for the margin on the right. If you drag the smiley box over it fits just nice!

I will give it a go but the plastic seems quite thick so I don't know if it will penetrate. I think it need something to melt it.

:thumbsup:

Hey I've just found a use for the margin on the right. If you drag the smiley box over it fits just nice!

" I think it need something to melt it." - Blowtorch....??

Seriously, I've had this problem as well (when the Club Toyota membership renews). Persevere with the white spirir, it's formidable stuf!!

Tyre buffing solution Mate . Shifts anything and is safe on glass.. If You get unlucky and scratch the glass I have some ceruim oxide powder here which will polish any marks out of glass even ones made by Women with diamond rings...

Heat is also good as You will know but its hard on glass especially if near to plastic trims..

The same bonded stickers are found on Motorbikes.. Tyre buff and a little heat and they go soft very quickly...

I removed some stickers from my rav a while ago.......Anch's ..don't be scared :lol: ...but....

A good sharp new stanley blade to scrape it off,then white spirit on a scouring pad to remove the glue.

Then if needed a quick polish of the glass to finish it off ....

Hope this helps,if i can help you just once........ :thumbsup:

I removed some stickers from my rav a while ago.......Anch's ..don't be scared :lol: ...but....

A good sharp new stanley blade to scrape it off,then white spirit on a scouring pad to remove the glue.

Then if needed a quick polish of the glass to finish it off ....

Hope this helps,if i can help you just once........ :thumbsup:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Dont use a Stanley blade !!!

Pleeeeease trust Me Tyre buffing solution is deadly !! Stinks like a dead badger in the hedge but simply melts those awful bonded laminated stickers that the Japanese seem to love ...

Polishing glass is a bit of a speciality of mine.. Windscreens that are scratched badly can be restored often to better than new by machine polishing using a wee cut down spot pad and cerium oxide.. The results can be amazing.. But a ruddy great scratch inflicted with one of Stanley's finest could be irretrievable

Hi Don,

my first line of attack with this sort of problem is Panel Cleaner as it won't harm the plastic trim. I have to admit to using it for all sorts of things. It's really good on cornflakes :rolleyes:

Know nothing about buffing solutions and the like, but I have some stuff called "goo gone" which seems to shift any kind of residue :)

Thanks for the ideas folks.

I've got some cerium oxide left over from polishing a scratch left by a bit of grit under a wiper. It worked a treat but made a hell of a mess. Do you mean apply it with a buffing wheel Charlie? There was a small rotary wheel in the kit but it flung white powdery solution everywhere.

Also, when you say tyre buffing fluid, you mean that they clean tyres before applying a patch? Its like acetone smelling stuff that evapourates very quickly if we are talking about the same stuff. That is probably like panel cleaner too Chris?

Did ah not sell you some Autosmart "Tardis" last week under the guise of 12 year old National Product....? Just recently removed very same thing from F2 by gently using a Stanley Window Scraper, and dabbing residue of adhesive with said Tardis....utterly dead clean, spotless, rien de damage (that's Francais, btw.....)

Lubricate glass first with glass cleaner I also sold you, prior to use of Stanley Scraperiser.

Big Kev...ah'll keep ye right....

P.S. Wife really loves reversing sensors you fitted last week, but is asking if you are finished with the rear bumper you "took away to clean nicely"....? Sensors tend to blow about in the wind without the bumper.....?

Kev the answer is blowing in the wind- Q for a song.

Anchs I also used the removal stuff from the well known door to door company and it worked!!!!. Those damn stickers fade like there,s no tomorrow.

That,s what you do at the Weekend then? How about a trip over the Irish sea , excellent B&B and it,s FREE

Regards Clare

I will have a go when I get chance (probably next weekend now). Got some AG tar remover and various other suggested potions.

We never did front sidelights on F2 Kev. Just turn lock, pop out the stud and ease the liner in.

I will have a go when I get chance (probably next weekend now). Got some AG tar remover and various other suggested potions.

We never did front sidelights on F2 Kev. Just turn lock, pop out the stud and ease the liner in.

Must be sidekick matey...was going to have a go today, and here's a granny sucking eggs moment : cover yer dashboard well during all these "chemical attacks".....Tardis really is the canine's rude bits for windscreen glues.

Big Kev

Wait until summer and it will peel off by itself. At least the white backing paper with the phone numbers on will.

After they changed the assistance numbers and issued new stickers, I've had several do this (on two vehicles) with high internal cab temperatures when sitting in the sun. I suspect they costed the stickers down.

Of course, the clear bit you want to get off stays put. Elbow grease and long finger nails?

Thanks for the ideas folks.

I've got some cerium oxide left over from polishing a scratch left by a bit of grit under a wiper. It worked a treat but made a hell of a mess. Do you mean apply it with a buffing wheel Charlie? There was a small rotary wheel in the kit but it flung white powdery solution everywhere.

Also, when you say tyre buffing fluid, you mean that they clean tyres before applying a patch? Its like acetone smelling stuff that evapourates very quickly if we are talking about the same stuff. That is probably like panel cleaner too Chris?

Yes that's the stuff Don.. Panel cleaner is IPA (isopropyl alcohol) Which may work but in reality is about half the strength of Buffing solution...

Buff will soften all the layers of bonded laminate stickers where IPA Tardis ect ect is only really of use to remove the glue residue...

Between 1993 and 2007 I had 27 brand new Motorcycles and all had those stickers. Most bikes had several. Suzukis had 5 or more... So it took a while to sort out the best thing for softening them up so We could prise the darn things off...

In the end most of My Mates used to bring their bikes round to My place to get theirs off ......

Don polishing windscreens can be done with a small spot pad on a small 3 inch backing plate on a normal Rotary polishing machine..

Speeds need to be very slow which is the best way to break down the compound in any polish anyway..

Many windscreens get dust or sand induced scratches which are not noticeable in some lights but horrible in others.. I would always polish the whole screen so as not to finish up with patchy areas..

Use the same routine as when polishing body panels and spray a mist of 50/50 water and detailing spray to lube the polish or it will go dry and fling everywhere...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links