Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drain And Refill Raditor

ramonford

I need to recharge the engine coolant and seek advise on how to go about this.

Is there an easy way to do this without having to remove the under tray.

Also please could some one tell me the correct coolant to use.

Is it worth doing a reverse radiator flush.

Thanks in anticipation for any help

Hi there

I have the mk 2 Yaris, just had a look at the cooling system. On the mk 2 there's a drainage tap at the bottom of the radiator with a very small pipe that has a hole in it placed, so on that model it appears you can drain the coolant without having to remove the undertray, not sure if the mk 1 is the same.

As for coolant itself, I'd go for Toyota's mix which is a pink fluid. I don't know for definite but I think it's a whole ready mix that goes straight into the cooling system. Watch out for air locks though if/when you carry out the work.

I'm not sure about a reverse radiator flush, don't think that would be needed.

Let us know how you get on

I need to recharge the engine coolant and seek advise on how to go about this.

Is there an easy way to do this without having to remove the under tray.

Also please could some one tell me the correct coolant to use.

Is it worth doing a reverse radiator flush.

Thanks in anticipation for any help

Your Yaris should be filled with super long life coolant which will be pink in colour, and has a 10 year life. Look for a label under the bonnet. Mk.1 Yaris has a drain tap on the bottom of the radiator, passenger side, no need to remove tray. There is also a cylinder block drain plug which is located at the transmission end of the engine block, on the front on 1 litre models or at the back on 1.3 litre. either use a container to catch the antifreeze or, it has a stub fitting to which a hose of suitable diameter can be fitted. Use Toyota super long life anti freeze which is ready mixed, pour it in very slowly, and I do mean very slowly, otherwise you will create an airlock. Do not flush the cooling system because the residual water this will leave in the system will dilute the new coolant. When filled, run the engine at tickover squeezing the top and bottom hoses periodically to disperse the air. Do not forget to drain and refill the header tank.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Thanks to both Adam and Geoff for your advice, much appreciated.

The Yaris in question is in fact a mark 1/face lift model, and I have checked the coolant and it is indeed pink/red. I had not realised that this has a life of 10 years and the header tank has never been topped up. So am I correct in assuming that this should be OK until the 10 year time is up?

As and when I do change the coolant I will use Toyota approved long life and take your advice about reverse flushing.

Any other tips more welcome

Thank you for your time and advice

The Yaris in question is in fact a mark 1/face lift model, and I have checked the coolant and it is indeed pink/red. I had not realised that this has a life of 10 years and the header tank has never been topped up. So am I correct in assuming that this should be OK until the 10 year time is up?

As and when I do change the coolant I will use Toyota approved long life and take your advice about reverse flushing.

Nothing wrong with flushing the cooling system if you then use concentrated antifreeze to maintain the correct strength. But as Toyota super long life is ready mixed this is not really an option. If you asked a dealer to do the job they would simply drain and refill.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Nothing wrong with flushing the cooling system if you then use concentrated antifreeze to maintain the correct strength. But as Toyota super long life is ready mixed this is not really an option. If you asked a dealer to do the job they would simply drain and refill.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Thanks for the tip Geoff.

Looks as though I will just drain and refill at the 10 year time limit.

Any idea what a Toyota main dealer would charge for this service

AND REMEMBER,,,,,DO NOT TIP THE OLD FLUID DOWN THE DRAIN

OR LEAVE IT LYING AROUND , AS ANIMALS (CATS) WILL DRINK IT, AS IT IS SWEET TASTING.

THEY WOULD DIE AN AGONISING PAINFULL DEATH !!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links