Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Yaris Horn? Why Oh Why!

dannyb999

fire engine horn.....................no comment!

• 4 years later...

Yes, it can be done. Now, my horn actually sounds like a car horn!

I had a new, louder horn put into my 2007 Yaris sedan by a mechanic. Unfortunately, it involves removing the front bumper (1.1 hours to take off/put back on) to get to the existing horn and wiring. I bought an electric-powered motorcycle air horn as well as the wiring kit (you need additional wires, a relay and a bigger fuse) but couldn't install it myself due to the need of removing the bumper. So, I just had the mechanic do the labor.

In terms of cost, the horn and wiring kit totaled about $60 online (bikerhiway.com I believe). It took the mechanic almost 4 hours of work to do the complete installation, but, fortunately, he capped the labor charges at $150 (I am very thankful!).

• 4 weeks later...

From Yarisworld, for those looking. I will probably be getting something similar.

FIAMM 123db Horn Installed

FIAMM 'E' Freeway Blaster Horn (high tone - 132 decibels not 123 as stated in the thread title...i got dyslexic) with lifetime warranty installed today.

Easiest thing I ever put on this car to date...5 minute swap out using factory single wire harness...$12 @ Autozone.

FIAMM, an Italian company, is OEM supplier to Porsche, Ferrari, Alfa, Audi, and BMW among others.

I promptly threw that Denso goat bleating 4 oz. POS in the trash.

Check out the tone here:

http://www.fiammamerica.com/Product.asp?ProductID=155

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=FIAMM

• 2 months later...

Could someone message me with where I could get an air horn from or a decent, reliable horn that sounds cool for my Yaris? I too dislike the car horn. My old Honda was the same and it does seem to be a general thing with Oriental cars.

Could someone message me with where I could get an air horn from or a decent, reliable horn that sounds cool for my Yaris? I too dislike the car horn. My old Honda was the same and it does seem to be a general thing with Oriental cars.

how many times do you use youre horn, :censor:

Could someone also message me explaining what a twin tone air horn is and how it works? It seems Stebel Nautilus is the leading manufacturer but which model do I get?! Do I get the ultra compact one or the standard black one?

Could someone also message me explaining what a twin tone air horn is and how it works? It seems Stebel Nautilus is the leading manufacturer but which model do I get?! Do I get the ultra compact one or the standard black one?

cant beat a black horn :lol:

I don't use it that often but when I do I want it to make a big sound and statement along the lines of "I'm here!" Rather than "excuse me, if it isn't too much trouble, would you mind acknowledging my presence?"

Could someone explain what a twin horn is and what a decent horn to get would be?

You could get something like this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165704

Twin horns are just what they say................One high tone and one low tone.

That way the full sound range is covered

i think having air horns on non classic cars is illegal, but dont quote me?????????

i think having air horns on non classic cars is illegal, but dont quote me?????????

Not so sure about that..................The ones I linked (for illustrative purposes only) are E Aproved and are suitable for fitment to all makes and models, and are suitable for upgrading standard horns (according to the write up)

Air horns that play tunes ARE illegal, but straight twin tone horns are acceptable.

They do become illegal if used when stationary or in a built up area between certain times at night.

how many times do you use youre horn, :censor:

Very rare in all honesty, but when I need it I need it, hence the need for a louder and less comical sound. Could a horn from another Toyota be used on a like for like basis? I’m sure the Avensis or something in that size category has a more substantial horn sound?

One high tone and one low tone? Apologies for being thick but I still don't understand. Do you mean that it is one horn but with a high and low sound pitch so that by adjustment you can set it to how you like?

Also, in a Yaris, the horn is right at the front of the vehicle (just before the grill) so how do I stick one of those ring twin air horns thingies to it? I'll have to remove the grill or something and have the red hooter sticking out!

One high tone and one low tone? Apologies for being thick but I still don't understand. Do you mean that it is one horn but with a high and low sound pitch so that by adjustment you can set it to how you like?

Also, in a Yaris, the horn is right at the front of the vehicle (just before the grill) so how do I stick one of those ring twin air horns thingies to it? I'll have to remove the grill or something and have the red hooter sticking out!

Twin Horns = Two horns............one fixed at high pitch and one fixed at low pitch, so the sound is across the pitch range

You do not have to use air horns as electrical two tone horns are available.

If you wanted to fit air horns you would have to extend the wiring from the current horn location and position the twin horns in another suitable position (possibly under the bonnet or inside the front fairing)

I had a look in Hallfords today and the horns they had were far too big to fit onto my car and damed heavy too. I may just stick with my little horn as I seldom use it anyway. Nor do I want to extend the wires and stick it somewhere else. I'd probably end up frying something...

• 3 weeks later...

I think the horn sounds great lol but i may pop down to the scrap yard and take two horns off an avensis and plug them in lol same connecters as well

haha :D

just need ot copy Dan aka yaristsport aka !Removed! hobbit and his dukes of hazard horn on the yaris  :D  :lol:  :D

ya jokin arnt ya??

Nope not joking, Dan's horn sounds just like the dukes of hazard :)

Got a pair of Yarisis.is.is.ss anyway, the 1l Frenchy sounds ok-ish, the 1.3 Jap sounds like Maggie's out of the Simpson's, if you know what I mean!!! I think even Noddy would get embarrased by it! :lol:

• 4 years later...

Incredibly old topic I know but I finally decided to fit the Stebel disc horn that I bought years ago to my Yaris.

Unfortunately, the standard disc horn on my car has one simple connector that plugs into the disc horn and the Stebel has two bronze connectors. Is there any way that I can get an adaptor or something from the existing plug to then split into two and connect to the Stebel or have I just wasted money and bought the wrong horn for my car?

Thanks.

The Yaris horn has a 12v feed and then earths to the bodywork. I would have thought the new horn has a 12v and an earth terminal if you can work out which is which just connect the earth to the horn mounting bolt and it should work.

The Mk3 Yaris' horn actually sound quite loud and purposeful. Nought wrong with it in my opinion

Problem is that the connector from the car seems like a universal plug thingy and there is nothing like that on the car horn I've bought. Just two bronze connectors!

A horn's a horn,

how often is it used?

had my yaris for 7 yrs and needed to sound the horn a couple of times.

if you are using quite often theres something wrong with your driving.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links