Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 Avensis D4D Cold Start

steveone

My 2008 avensis d4d has been a pig to start since the weather turned cold.

It will start eventually after half a dozen tries.

There is no smoke when it starts or when running except when accelerating hard at high revs, this is normal with a diesel.

I have replaced the glow plugs as one of them was faulty but still it does not like starting in the cold mornings.

If the outside temperature is above about 8 or 9 degrees it starts fine but when it drops closer to freezing it starts to play up.

It fires once and stops. This happens four or five times then if I keep it cranking it eventually picks up and is fine for the rest of the day.

It runs smoothly and power and fuel consumption are about the same as when it was new (surprising as it has done 193000 miles).

I have read that the EGR valve can cause this, but as everything else is OK is this likely to be the cause.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Steve

Hi Steve,

The 1st thing I'd do is clean the EGR valve out! then change the fuel and air filter and give the MAF a spray with some electrical contact cleaner. As you've changed the glow plugs are you sure that they are all heating up?

Cheers

Taff

Once it starts does it "chug" for a few seconds as if its somethings blocked and then it runs smoothly?

Once it starts it takes a few seconds to settle and runs smoothly.

Cleaning the egr is my next job for this weekend.

Yes the glow plugs are all OK, two of the old ones were duff.

My 2008 avensis d4d has been a pig to start since the weather turned cold.

It will start eventually after half a dozen tries.

There is no smoke when it starts or when running except when accelerating hard at high revs, this is normal with a diesel.

I have replaced the glow plugs as one of them was faulty but still it does not like starting in the cold mornings.

ADVICE: IN CASE YOU VE DISCLOSED ONE AS FAULTY -- IT IS NECESSARY TO CHANGE THEM ALL TO HAVE THE SAME HEATING EFFECT !!!

If the outside temperature is above about 8 or 9 degrees it starts fine but when it drops closer to freezing it starts to play up.

ADVICE: IT IS CORRECT -- DIESEL IS COLD AND ESPECIALLY WHEN ATOMIZERS (NOZZLES) ARE WORN DOWN A COLD JET CAN NOT BE IGNITED AT ONCE BUT AFTER SEVERAL TURNS AND COMPRESSION IN THE CYLINDER. THE NOZZLES WEAR IS CONFIRMED BY YOU GIVING YOU SMOKE.

It fires once and stops.

ADVICE -- PLEASE READ 2ND ADVICE

This happens four or five times then if I keep it cranking it eventually picks up and is fine for the rest of the day.

It runs smoothly and power and fuel consumption are about the same as when it was new (surprising as it has done 193000 miles).

ADVICE -- INJECTORS MUST BE INSPECTED ON THE FUEL STAND + CYCLE JET PORTION MUST BE EQUILIZED IN ALL FOUR INJECTORS TO HAVE NO OVER FUELING EFFECT/SMOKE/POOR STARTING UP.

I have read that the EGR valve can cause this, but as everything else is OK is this likely to be the cause.

ADVICE -- egr IS EASY TO TEST HAVING OPENED IT AND EVEN CLEAN TO EXCLUDE THIS SPOT IN THE ISSUES CHAIN.

CHEERS/IGOR

Just bang a tin of BG244 in the fuel tank and all your problems will be over I bet!... Use V-Power heavy oil instead of the !Removed! supermarket stuff...

Hi

My 07 2.2 39000 mile Avensis has just come out of the garage for the same reason, according to the service guy he said they changed the fuel suction valve on the back of the high pressure pump,definately cured the starting problem but dropped my fuel economy by about 12 mpg,another 3 days in the garage and they have now changed the EGR valve and done an ECU update but mpg is no better,booked in for 40000 mile service tomorrow so will have to see if that helps if not back to the drawing board.

cheers Andy

When the Injectors when on our 2.2 were changed it had done 55k ish, the symptoms were poor cold starting, it would fire on the 3rd or 4th attempt and run like it was missing for a few seconds. Once driving all was fine but then the next day it would happen again.

It was a warranty job for us, thankfully.

Just finished replacing the fuel filter and cleaning the EGR valve, it was completely blocked with soot .

Had a quick run round to make sure everything was ok and I am sure there is a lot more power than before.

Fingers crossed it will start OK in the morning, forecast tonight is -5.

Will let you now how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice guys, it was a simple job.

Just been out and noticad something strange.

Start up OK then as soom as I move off both traction control and vsc warning lights come on. Don't think I disturbed anything what can it be. What has vsc to do with traction control?

The VSC cuts off the power by using the TC, both are normally knocked off at the same time.

All sorted now, light were due to a connecttor on top of the air cleaner I left unplugged. {Plugged it in, disconnected the Battery to reset and that's OK.

Even better, having replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the EGR it now starts first time and after about 400 miles I can definitely say it has more power and burns less fuel.

Thanks to all for the advice!!!!

All sorted now, light were due to a connecttor on top of the air cleaner I left unplugged. {Plugged it in, disconnected the battery to reset and that's OK. Even better, having replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the EGR it now starts first time and after about 400 miles I can definitely say it has more power and burns less fuel. Thanks to all for the advice!!!!

Thats good to hear :D

• 2 months later...

When I start my Avensis 2.0 Diesel 08 plate it starts then stops, then i sart it again and it is ok for the rest of the day, i have seen comments previously relating to cleaning the EGR valve, i have done this it was really thick sooty and gummed up, even though I have cleaned I still have the same problem, if I start the car with my foot just ever so slightly touching the acceslerator it starts and stays started but if I go to pull away within a couple of seconds it wants to die unless I keep revs high and slip the clutch, my drive is pretty steep until you get to the kerb, I have just put in some Wynns DC3 diesel Clean to see if this helps, any ideas on what i should have a look at now.

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links