Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radio Reception Gone

PuervesGrundy

Hi,

I lent my car ('00 Mk1 Yaris) to my Dad the other day and it came back with no radio reception. I don't know what he did but I can't seem to get it back at all. I've tried disconnecting the Battery for 10 mins to see if that would fix the problem but to no luck.

The unit is the original bottom of the range stereo that came as standard.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what's wrong?

When you say no radio reception, do you mean the set is totally dead, no illumination, nothing, in which case check the fuses. If you mean the radio lights up and the Speakers crackle but no signal then the aerial plug into the set is the likely suspect, but you need to remove the set to check. There will also be a fuse inside the radio. Remember the set has two power supplies, one permanent to preserve the presets and one switched. More information needed really.

Regards Geoff Peace.

When you say no radio reception, do you mean the set is totally dead, no illumination, nothing, in which case check the fuses. If you mean the radio lights up and the speakers crackle but no signal then the aerial plug into the set is the likely suspect, but you need to remove the set to check. There will also be a fuse inside the radio. Remember the set has two power supplies, one permanent to preserve the presets and one switched. More information needed really.

Hi,

The radio powers on and works fine, it's just crackly and I can't hear a thing.

I can't really understand how it's gone wrong as it's been in the car since it was new and never been removed.

When you say no radio reception, do you mean the set is totally dead, no illumination, nothing, in which case check the fuses. If you mean the radio lights up and the speakers crackle but no signal then the aerial plug into the set is the likely suspect, but you need to remove the set to check. There will also be a fuse inside the radio. Remember the set has two power supplies, one permanent to preserve the presets and one switched. More information needed really.

Hi,

The radio powers on and works fine, it's just crackly and I can't hear a thing.

I can't really understand how it's gone wrong as it's been in the car since it was new and never been removed.

It seems like an aerial fault. Check the plug into the back of the radio, sometimes unpuging and repluging a few times cleans the connections, you will need to remove the radio first. It could be the aerial itself, they are not cheap to renew , the roof mount can leak water into the signal amplifier beneath.

Regards Geoff Peace

It could be the aerial itself, they are not cheap to renew , the roof mount can leak water into the signal amplifier beneath.

Regards Geoff Peace

Hi,

Unfortunately, I think that's what's happened. My sunroof was leaking badly during the recent rain and it's probably destroyed the aerial.

How much is this going to cost to fix?

As a student I'm struggling to run the car as it is so I'm hoping there is some cheap solution.

Has someone nicked the aerial? :lol:

That joke might have been mildly funny earlier on in the thread before I realised that this is going to have me severely out of pocket.

Could anybody give me any insight into the procedure for replacing an aerial system in a Mk1 Yaris, no?

It could be the aerial itself, they are not cheap to renew , the roof mount can leak water into the signal amplifier beneath.

Regards Geoff Peace

Hi,

Unfortunately, I think that's what's happened. My sunroof was leaking badly during the recent rain and it's probably destroyed the aerial.

As a student I'm struggling to run the car as it is so I'm hoping there is some cheap solution.

If you go to a Toyota dealer I am given to understand it will cost around £375. I think you would be better going to an independent auto electrician.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Regards Geoff Peace

Hi,

If you go to a Toyota dealer I am given to understand it will cost around £375. I think you would be better going to an independent auto electrician.

Regards Geoff Peace.

ubik.

I'll try and source one from a scrapyard and then ring an auto electrician.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Regards Geoff Peace

Hi,

Regards Geoff Peace.

ubik.

I will try and source one from a scrapyard and then ring an auto electrician. I presume you can fit a used one?

Regards Geoff Peace

Hi,

Regards Geoff Peace.

Oh no....

I will try and source one from a scrapyard and then ring an auto electrician. I presume you can fit a used one?