Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does A Forum Put You Off Buying A Vehicle?

Hoovie

So if it affects only a small number of vehicles? why cant toyota fix the problem? They must know what is at fault? why does it ony affect a few ........well avensis too,....

Or maybe it depends on what the silly dealership has stuck in the engine oil wise?

Why is it down to oil?

I have the same engine, with Toyota's recommended oil in. No problems so far, and no signs of a problem looming.

I'm sure the higher percentage of owners who don't have this problem are probably using Toyota's oil too.

Nobody knows the exact cause (otherwise it would have been sorted a long time ago) so your conclusion is just as much speculation as any other reason mentioned on here.

Considering the cost of these engines (at Toyota's expense) it wouldn't cost them too much to rig up several engines on a test bed and run them on different brands/grades of oil and see if any of them improve or worsen this problem.

Toyota may not have fixed the problem (or maybe they have with the newer components, that is to be seen) but they have got a solution. Thats a step in the right direction.

But you may have what now Toyota knows is the right oil no doubt?

I belive there are dealerships putting in the wrong oil, and thus causing engine damage...........I`ve seen this with VW.........would explain why these engines are failing here and there........Depends where you were serviced?...............just a theory............

The A1 stuff Charlie put in his engine is poor quality, but his dealership says its ok....................they all say different things................thats why I await the oil TSB anchs mentioned.............Hopefully un-sanitaised........

But you may have what now Toyota knows is the right oil no doubt?

I belive there are dealerships putting in the wrong oil, and thus causing engine damage...........I`ve seen this with VW.........would explain why these engines are failing here and there........Depends where you were serviced?...............just a theory............

The A1 stuff Charlie put in his engine is poor quality, but his dealership says its ok....................they all say different things................thats why I await the oil TSB anchs mentioned.............Hopefully un-sanitaised........

No matter what answer i Give, you are clearly going to try and make out that there is an issue with the oil, the garage, or the technicians cheese sandwich.

I CBA anymore, and wonder why I returned to this forum after a 3 month break.

Laters.....

To suggest that most Owners are happy with their cars drinking oil is ludicrous. As for Honda putting stickers saying the car is expected to burn oil fine.. Perhaps the Honda's can do this without blocking EGRs at best and blowing head gaskets ect at worse but the Ravs cant apparently do it.... I'm not really interested in other makers woes or deficiencies and if they do have them I couldn't care a monkeys. I do however selfish it sounds have a vested interest in My car or cars.. 7 out of 22 people have posted engine replacements on the other thread 2 of which are on or about to be on engine number 3 !!!! So we as visitors would not be put off.. And We don't have a problem ?? Most Dealers are replacing engines on a weekly basis some are doing several a week SO WE DO HAVE A PROBLEM !! I can tell You that the two Members who have had rebuilt or replaced engines replaced again are NOT alone.. Many replaced engines are failing again and that sadly is a fact..

I rest my case.

We have a new member with a SR180 ,who is saying he has a clogged egr, could be something could be nothing?

Jedz....saw his posting, now cannae find it. Could you guide me to title thereof please ?

Big Kev

We have a new member with a SR180 ,who is saying he has a clogged egr, could be something could be nothing?

Jedz....saw his posting, now cannae find it. Could you guide me to title thereof please ?

Big Kev

I guess its this one, just fell off page 1 http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133500

A forum wouldn't put me off buying a car. it would enable me to go into the purchase eyes wide open.

Even with the negativity on here at the moment with the 2AD engine, the Rav is still a brilliant package. I tell everyone i can to buy one. I'm looking at a landcruiser next. Some amazing examples out there with 200k on the clock. whatan advert for the brand.

The trick with car forums is to compare them against each other. Rav's are certainly not without their issues, but if you look on the x-trail or freelander forums, there's an endless catalogue of woes. I did check out the reviews and posts before going car hunting and didn't even get as far as test driving an x-trail.. The Rav is the best in it's class and I'd rather have a Toyota than anything else..

As a side note, my wife's Alfa 147 has never let her down in 5 years and has now done over a hundred thousand miles. All the electrics work, the engine's sweet and it's fun to drive. The chances of getting a good Alfa are pretty slim though according to the forums.. she just landed on her feet! If anybody's interested, it's now for sale as she's inherited a VW Bora Tdi.

Would a forum put me off buying a vehicle? It depends. If I heard there were many problems with a car but the manufacturer was not making any attempts to fix the problems within the warranty period, that would be offputting.

On the other hand, I would be impressed if an extended manufacturers’ warranty was put in place to deal with a particular problem – such as seen on here with the Rav engines.

What would influence me is the past experiences of a particular brand and the level of customer service from the dealership.

When i bought my Rav, I really really wanted a T180, but at £27000 well TBH my house didn't cost that 30yrs ago, And despite all the woes Charlie has had with his, If i had the money and needed another car i would genuinely buy it, its a superb motor that could not have been better looked after, and i am afraid that Charlie is going to sell it or PX it when he has got everything sorted, so no amount of (bad press) would put me off, because I know that our Ravs despite current problems are GREAT cars.. :thumbsup: Stew