Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Tyres For The Rav?

cumbrialass

I want to change the tyres on my RAV 4. [2003 model] I'm not impressed with the Tranpath s that are on at the moment. The grip is poor in wet and mud and especially when cornering. Despite carefully driving on snow last week the car skidded as soon as I turned a corner. I do go off raod a couple of times a week [ muddy woodland tracks but also do quite a bit of motorway driving. I'd love to hear what tyres other Rav drivers have.

Hi Kath. Welcome to TOC :)

My RAV4 2005 model was great in the snow on the General Grabbers UHP and I used the car to go up and down between Scotland and Devon many times and was always sure-footed, so I guess that covers the Motorway side ;)

I want to change the tyres on my RAV 4. [2003 model] I'm not impressed with the Tranpath s that are on at the moment. The grip is poor in wet and mud and especially when cornering. Despite carefully driving on snow last week the car skidded as soon as I turned a corner. I do go off raod a couple of times a week [ muddy woodland tracks but also do quite a bit of motorway driving. I'd love to hear what tyres other Rav drivers have.

Hi Kath,

I've just fitted a set of Cooper CS4's to our 3-dr (mainly because I got a particularly good deal on them - I was orig going to fit Conti Cross Contacts) and I'm really impressed with them. They've performed very well in the wintry conditions over the past week or so (mostly A-roads, M-ways but some back lanes around S. Yorks) and are particularly quiet even compared to the Bridgestone Duelers that were on previously. They're a nice looking tyre as well (that's important, ya know ;) ).

Have had Duelers on our other 5-dr since new in '02 and have always found them to be very good.

Jim

Hi Kath

For a 2003 model I think you might find it hard to beat the General Grabber for performance/value.

Lots of people seem to rate them highly.

I found Bridgestone Dueller OK but quite expensive to replace - but price offers on tyres vary alot of course.

Kwik fit doing 25% off at moment

Cheers for the replies. I'll have a look out for them, see if i can get them locally.

Ps Average mileage 31.5

Ref Firemacs comment, I think you would find it hard to ever improve on the Conti cross-contacts (my favouriite Make and got them on my Winter Wheels) but they do cost.

The General Grabbers are actually made by Continental effectively (General is a US subsiduary) which is probably why they are so good as well :)

I did find the Grabbers a big improvement on the Duelers as well in fact - transformed it.

When I bought my Rav 4.2, the dealer put cheapo goodride tyres on it and they are completely pants. Tyres make such a difference to the handling of a vehicle, that it's best not to scrimp on them. As soon as funds permit, I'll be fitting General Grabber AT2's, which last forever and will go anywhere. I had a set on my old Jeep Cherokee and they did everything you'd ever need..

It's worth remembering that General tyres are the US subsidiary of Continental, but at a better price.

My 2.0 vvt-i 2000 Rav4 5DR is wearing Federal Couragia SU tyres and my experience so far is extremely good. They were / are great in the snow :-)

i am in fact satisfied with Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6 during 3 winter seasons and especially at minus 20 C.

you can also consider them for years. cheers/Igor

Thanks all.

So far the General Grabbers are looking favourite.

[ l noticed Yokoham Geolanders on one of the new RAVs in the local garage but user opinion is always best.] :flowers:

Thanks all.

So far the General Grabbers are looking favourite.

[ l noticed Yokoham Geolanders on one of the new RAVs in the local garage but user opinion is always best.] :flowers:

I've got the GG UHP's on mine. They are now uni-directional (well mine are) but they didn't used to be.

Hi again Kath

The Yokohama Geolander are original eqipment for the RAV 2006 on - great tyres but maybe not for the previous series model - I still think the Gen Grabbs are probably your best bet