Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mot - Plates & Tints

97paseo

Mine failed it's MOT today due to the illegal plate spacing - it totally slipped my mind. :ffs:

I had to get new-ones made up to put on it for 15 minutes - so sad - after all they are legal font etc & I've not been pulled for it. :rolleyes:

Anyway I was asking the guy about window tints & he said with the new regs if you have them on the front door windows they are an MOT failure....

Thought some peeps might like to know - some places can be strict so watch where you take it!

Plenty of 'flexible' MOT men about if you care to slip them a few extra notes.

Problem is they turn a blind eye to everything then, and if something is seriously wrong with your car (worn tread, for example) you won't find out until you either look yourself or have an accident!

I guess the dodgy garages get your money either way. If you don't slip them a few quid they wind up lying to you just so they can charge you for the repair.

I guess that's why I rely on the main dealer, they may be a little dodgy and VERY expensive, but I've yet to meet anyone who can truly recommend anyone (good and fair) round my neck of the woods.

Is it going to be much hastle/cost to sort your tints out???

Its a bummer these days that you hear so many different things about what is legal and whats not, a problem I think the DOT needs to see to!

There are plenty of uninsured drivers on the road, untaxed and unroadworthy vehicles, drunk drivers etc. Surely there are better things to legislate for than the tint on a window.

Rich

they didn't fail your red tinted rear indicators then? that's interesting :)

Dorset pigery were doing stop checks today for tints alone.... 10 day notice to remove... I have yet to be stoped but have put standard number plate back on ready for it ;) :lol:

INTRESTING BIT>>>

I found out about this when a eldery couple in a yaris verso came into the dealership after being stoped and told to remove the tints, this lady I can remember because she has very senitive eyes and needs the tints to drive.... she is not a boy racer causeing problems and its not a fashion statment, but she has to suffer or quit driving....Oh and does anybody know if its still legal to drive with sunglassses on??? are they going to have a crack down on that??? :angry:

Sunglasses are perfectly legal......and always will be.

Strange thing, the law. Black visors are illegal on motorbike crash helmets, but it's perfectly legal to wear the darkest sunglasses under a normal visor.

it's something to do with the fact that if you're driving in the dark you can take the shades off....it's a bit harder to change your windows every evening.

Rich

Hi everyone

Now this is crazy. A guy at work just had his Astra sxi windows all tinted. They where all done in 35%. And the company said that this is perfectly legal and he wouldn't fail a mot test??

Yet you are saying that if the windows have a tint on the front windows they will stop you and it's a mot failure :ffs: Oh well i will have to wait and see as my missus mot is due in September and mine is due next year March :help:

jerry!!

From what I can gather it's 25% (75% transmission) for the front and 30% (70% transmission) for all the other windows.

Hey guys,

I have to say I agree with Boro Sera with the uninsured/drunk drivers thing, it really winds me up - but then some coppers are power hungry :censor: ers unfortunately - shame & somewhat sad really.

I know the vehicle inspectorate are out-and-about with light meters testing people's level of tint so watch out!

All I can say is get foriegn plates as I know for a fact you can get away with everything. including speeding, parking illegally & smashing into someone else's car! Such a fair system...

Hows this get onto coppers P7SEO?!

Surely this is about MOT testing stations and people realising that the testers are different everywhere you go. It is unfortunate that it failed tho, it doesnt look like a problematic car. Dont know about the window tinting lark tho, again bad luck on that mate.

Hows this get onto coppers P7SEO?!

:D Sorry Tito. You're right, think people are saying that they might get pulled for the tints hence the link. I won't bother getting mine tinted!

It's a sad situation really. It's the Vehicle Inspectorate that's doing the stop checks anyway I think. Crazy some of these rules! :wacko:

Yea its not the fault of the Police its thier employers... the retards running the country. Cops are just doin what they are told...to uphold an idiotic law.

I mentioned a while back that this forunately means that their little motorcades will now no longer sport tints to hide the identity of government officials. Bring on the snipers...wait a sec..is that Mr Blair in that Jag..hmm...ill be right back! :thumbsup:

:arrgg-matey:

u'll still be able to tint non essential window's such as rear door window's. Otherwise it'd make Van's illegal, esp the car based Toyota Corolla bombing around here. So dignitary's in the back of thier camry's (or whatever) will still keep well hidden.

So are rear windows OK then?

My Sera has a VERY dark rear hatch window. the rest are all OK though. I'm presuming that the two rear view door mirrors cover me for that. I know that vans have to have two rear view mirrors, one each side obviously, if there is no rear window.

I agree with 97paseo about the foreign plates though. The only time I got pulled in the Sera was when it had Guernsey plates on it (and Guernsey tax). All the police wanted to know was if it was insured. Not even a producer. Result.

Rich

Hi 97 Paseo - just read your bit about tints. I don't know if everyone knows this, but apparently the sunstrips that you put on your windscreen are illegal. Because my eyes are sensitive to bright light I put a solid black strip on my w/screen. I took the car for its MoTat the end of March and was told it was illegal (although he passed it. Nice guy). Anybody know if he's right or not? B)

The % allowed for sunstrips from the screen size is so small that it makes them all a MOT failure.

As posted on here in january new legisation has been brought out regarding tints forward of the "B" pillar which means don't put them on the front side windows. If you do have them on you have to remove them, you was mean't to be called by the place where you got your tints to advise you of this new ruling, i wasn't but even if i had i would keep mine on as you need to be stopped by the police and be issued a notice to remove them. The MOT testing stations are also mean't to fail you on your tints and sunstrip so eventually none will be seen on the road at all but as we all know there are some "friendly MOT testing stations" out there :D :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links