Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crappy Mileage...cold? Or Egr Valve?

Stupidmia

Noticed lately that my mpg in my SR180 is a little lower. I put this down to cold weather and short journeys initially (majority being 8 mile to and from work and popping couple of miles into town), being that it doesn’t really get warmed up until I’m at my destination almost. I then read about the EGR valve carbon problem. I stripped my valve and found it chock-a-block like the pics on the stickie in this forum. Cleaned it and tried again…but to be honest, I am not seeing a real difference in mpg.

I am now putting it down to the cold weather/short journeys (I think I can recall similar MPG in the past). Does this sound right? Or could it be something more problematic?

I am averaging @ 33mpg…on A and B roads, with several stops and a 5 min queue to get onto site where I work.

Picking up a new Fiat 500 Twinair 1st March to replace wife’s Micra….planning on using it on work runs to share wear and tear between the cars (my wife was lucky if she did 1000 miles a year in the Micra…but we still needed the second car on occasion). Lets see what that returns?

Well, consumption will definitely go up at this time of year and short journeys will exacerbate this but your EGR being clogged up could indicate burning of oil. Do you check the oil level fairly regularly/have you had to top it up?

Mine is really low in the cold.

I read that the twinair gave really poor results for economy in Auto Trader I think. Might have been their test but its worth a brows.

Found it. They said 38mpg against a claimed 72. I can scan it if you like?

I think you've answered your own question, 33 MPG with all short runs sounds normal as the car does 33 officially in urban use. The cold weather will make it worse as the D-Cat system will be working to clean the emissions as the DPF wont be fully hot.

My Avensis DPF'd mobile needs 23 miles before the MPG improves in the cold weather, it reduces all the time until this point. I put this down to the time it takes for everything to get to full working temperature when the outside temperature is hovering around 0C.

To the OP . Take a look at this thread ?

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132178

Not saying Your car falls into this category but it may be worth a read ?

Not surprisingly there are many who still know nothing about the 2AD engine issues .. Just Friday I was talking to an SR 18O Owner who told Me his turbo failed after the engine burnt most of its oil.. A wonder the engine did not seize but the turbo went first.. Toyota fitted a new turbo at a cost of over £1000 and this was after a good will gesture ?? Said car is burning oil at a fair old rate..

I of course filled the Owner in on what has been going on !!

I just last week purchased a leather Drivers seat for My T180 from a breaker. Breaker informed Me the car was being broken because the engine had seized and it was an uneconomical repair !! Makes You wonder eh ??

Noticed lately that my mpg in my SR180 is a little lower. I put this down to cold weather and short journeys initially (majority being 8 mile to and from work and popping couple of miles into town), being that it doesn’t really get warmed up until I’m at my destination almost. I then read about the EGR valve carbon problem. I stripped my valve and found it chock-a-block like the pics on the stickie in this forum. Cleaned it and tried again…but to be honest, I am not seeing a real difference in mpg.

I am now putting it down to the cold weather/short journeys (I think I can recall similar MPG in the past). Does this sound right? Or could it be something more problematic?

I am averaging @ 33mpg…on A and B roads, with several stops and a 5 min queue to get onto site where I work.

Picking up a new Fiat 500 Twinair 1st March to replace wife’s Micra….planning on using it on work runs to share wear and tear between the cars (my wife was lucky if she did 1000 miles a year in the Micra…but we still needed the second car on occasion). Lets see what that returns?

Smoked? (white/gray smoke from exhause)

It's the weather.

I've lost an average of 4 to 5 mpg in the last month (and it's NOT burning any oil). I also cleaned the EGR a few months ago, it was clogged but I didn't notice any improvement in mpg at all.

Dave

Thanks for all the replies.Must admit I am getting quite a bit worried now…just waiting for my engine to faill!!

It does seem sensible that the mileage I am getting is correct given the cold starts and short journeys. When I cleaned my EGR, it was the first time it was done in 27K miles…I have now ordered some of that BG244 stuff to give it a laal treat.

I don’t see much smoke coming out of the exhaust…there has been the odd occasion in the past where I have seen a bit on a cold start…but since cleaning the EGR, I have been checking and seeing very little to nothing. I started it the other very cold day after standing all day and immediately ran round the back looking for smoke…but there was nothing coming out….that’s got to be a good sign.

For the first year and a half of owning it, I mainly used BP ultimate…on the very odd occasion when opportunity arised I would get a tank of V-Power in (no Shell garages near, so can’t do it all the time). I must admit that in the last few months, mainly since the BP garage has closed for total rebuild (there is another in next town…but it is even more expensive), I have been putting in a bit of supermarket stuff but probably more Texaco (they don’t offer a premium diesel….or they don’t at the garage I go to anyway).

I could start going back to BP Ultimate…but is it any good?

Only thing I have got to do is check the oil (I have never ever done this). Last time it would have been done would have been it's last service in August.

Thanks for all the replies.Must admit I am getting quite a bit worried now…just waiting for my engine to faill!!

Only thing I have got to do is check the oil (I have never ever done this). Last time it would have been done would have been it's last service in August.

Relax, they dont all fail!

This is really naughty, its recommended to check oil weekly! Especially as the amount of oil usage is the criteria for engine replacement.

The EGR is becoming a bit of a boogey man here :lol:

TBH, there is *only* one problem that the EGR causes, and that's if it gets jammed open. The symptoms will be a noticeable power drop and smoking at the low end of the rev range until you reach the turbo threshold because the engine will be sucking in exhaust gas when it isn't supposed to.

Even if it gets clogged up it's okay, as long as it doesn't get jammed open. (In fact, if it gets jammed shut you get a free low-end power boost! :lol: Well, until the check engine light comes on and the car goes into limp mode... :unsure:)

Checked my oil today and after 6 months/4.5K miles, it is still at the top mark on the dipstick!

I cant imagine Toyota ovrrfilled it at last service...so its got to be a good sign??

The oil was blackish, but I imagine that would be normal?

Have set myself a weekly reminder now on my phone to check it

Checked my oil today and after 6 months/4.5K miles, it is still at the top mark on the dipstick!

I cant imagine Toyota ovrrfilled it at last service...so its got to be a good sign??

The oil was blackish, but I imagine that would be normal?

Have set myself a weekly reminder now on my phone to check it

Good Stuff, black is normal if its been in for 6mths. Touchwood ours doesn't use any either.

Yeah, that's a good sign :)

For all the talk about engines eating their oil, it's not that common except in a few known problem cases (Usually the early 1.8VVTi's)

The oil colour is good too; In fact, it's a good trick to check the oil when you're buying a second hand car - If it's clear instead of black and hasn't been serviced recently, be suspicious as to why it's had an unscheduled oil change!

Much thanks everyone....feel a bit more relaxed now