Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Cleaned Today

Big Kev

Last cleaned mid 2010 at about 12k miles, so armed with lots of recent negativity, removed it. (25k)

If ever there was an advert for Shell V- Power diesel, this was it.....the two corner vent holes in the static part on the inlet manifold were ever so slightly gunged but not anywhere near blocked or choked, and the black stuff was a very soft and sticky finger nail blackening soot,

The actual valve (removed part) was easily cleaned by brake cleaner Anchorman left me yonks ago, and it melted what little sticky tarry stuff was in it.

Cannot hide my glee at this finding, albeit it does not mean I am NOT driving one of the "future problematic" engines....for now all is well.

Against previous kind advice re "snake oil", I am half way through a tank of V-Power to which I added the requisite amount of BG244.....WISH SOMEBODY COULD EXPLAIN WHY IT DEFFO RUNS A BIT SMOOTHER, AND UNDER HEAVY ACCELERATION, THE SLIGHT INJECTOR RATTLE I ALWAYS HEAR HAS BEEN TOTALLY SILENCED.....?

Chuffed Kev :D

Last cleaned mid 2010 at about 12k miles, so armed with lots of recent negativity, removed it. (25k) If ever there was an advert for Shell V- Power diesel, this was it.....the two corner vent holes in the static part on the inlet manifold were ever so slightly gunged but not anywhere near blocked or choked, and the black stuff was a very soft and sticky finger nail blackening soot, The actual valve (removed part) was easily cleaned by brake cleaner Anchorman left me yonks ago, and it melted what little sticky tarry stuff was in it. Cannot hide my glee at this finding, albeit it does not mean I am NOT driving one of the "future problematic" engines....for now all is well. Against previous kind advice re "snake oil", I am half way through a tank of V-Power to which I added the requisite amount of BG244.....WISH SOMEBODY COULD EXPLAIN WHY IT DEFFO RUNS A BIT SMOOTHER, AND UNDER HEAVY ACCELERATION, THE SLIGHT INJECTOR RATTLE I ALWAYS HEAR HAS BEEN TOTALLY SILENCED.....? Chuffed Kev :D

All good to hear Kev although not totally unexpected ;)

I'd like to think the V-Power helps but personally i think that usage is the main factor. Our Verso is used on start stop work all day (Mrs CC Community Physio) so it gets warm on the first journey but then driven from cold on a short journey (10mins) and then parked for 45mins this normally happens 6 or 7 times a day.

I strip ours when i get chance and its normally pretty caked, thats running it on V-Power or normal Shell.

Car always feel more responsive after a clean.

I've been saying it for years, but there is always a sceptic out there to argue the pro's of supermarket fuel.

I'm a firm believer that a couple of extra £'s on each tank of fuel could well prevent hundreds of £'s at a later date when things start to clog up. If the internal parts are staying cleaner, then the DPF (if fitted) should need regenerating less, saving fuel by not burning carbon so often.

The EGR should be cleaned as part of the service but as an hour's labour is £100 Mr T would have servicing prices that were way out of line compared with the compeition. Its not as if they are cheap now.

Thankfully though it is a very easy job and i wouldn't want to apy someone £100 to do, and i'm no mechanic.

Big question - If Mr T cleaned as EGR's as part of the service would they be replacing less engines?

I've been saying it for years, but there is always a sceptic out there to argue the pro's of supermarket fuel.

I'm a firm believer that a couple of extra £'s on each tank of fuel could well prevent hundreds of £'s at a later date when things start to clog up. If the internal parts are staying cleaner, then the DPF (if fitted) should need regenerating less, saving fuel by not burning carbon so often.

Forgot to say that I omitted to plug the electrics back in after cleaning the valve, so got the wee engine light / fault sign on. Having paid £23.00 for wee fault reader on eBay, had the light and fault cancelled in seconds...RESULT.

Nice offer of fault finding help at end of your signature, Davey, so same applies in G33 or nearby....can read faults, but nae techy questions or I do my wee false fainting turn......

Big Kev

I'm always happy to help if possible. I can read/clear fault codes and read live data on my mobile, so it's a very useful feature for under £25, but nobody has asked me to help them yet.

Nice one Kev !! Strangely My EGR was spotless despite My engine drinking oil at a huge rate.. I took it apart for a look when I realised my new engine had developed a bigger thirst than the original one and expected it to be sooted up and require a clean and maybe also indicate a fault that would underline what was going on . But it was really clean after nearly 9.000 miles....

I have put some Wynns gold something or other? in mine which counteracts the effects of low sulphur diesel and lubricates things as well, TBH when i bought it i thought it was an oil additive, but no you add it to a tank of diesel and it lasts about 3500 mls, Where does one get this BG 44 from and again is it a diesel additive :unsure: Stew

I have put some Wynns gold something or other? in mine which counteracts the effects of low sulphur diesel and lubricates things as well, TBH when i bought it i thought it was an oil additive, but no you add it to a tank of diesel and it lasts about 3500 mls, Where does one get this BG 44 from and again is it a diesel additive :unsure: Stew

eBay or here

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/section.php/99/1/diesel/04a95c0b770b8a1d08105bcb3b1e6c74

header.jpg

Categorized | Engine Cleaning, Fuel Additives

We try BG44K and BG244

Posted on 20 August 2008. Tags: bg 244, bg 44k, bg244, bg44k, carbon remover, engine cleaner, fuel cleaner, fuel injector cleaner, injector cleaner

Ok, so we try the petrol and diesel cleaner that everyone is talking about!

There has been a lot of talk on the web and amongst garages & tuners about the BG range of products and services; in particular, BG 44K for petrol and the new BG 244 for diesel. There is no doubt that BG Products Inc is not only a well established organisation but their reputation is reportedly huge in the US.

Remarkably, their products are so well respected that many manufactures and dealers now use them as part of routine servicing. For example, you could take your Lexus to your local dealer and find that a can of BG44K makes its way in to the tank to clean the entire fuel system and remove all carbon build-up, in addition to the normal scheduled service.

So, what exactly are BG44K and BG244? Well, the following is taken from the website www.powerenhancer.co.uk and explains more about the product:

“This patent-protected, modern treatment, which is simply added to a full tank of petrol, safely cleans away accumulated deposits in parts of the engine fuel system (including injectors) and from the intake components, intake valves and combustion chambers.

Gone are £100+ garage bills to remove and clean petrol or diesel fuel injectors, or worse, authorised dealers telling you your vehicle requires new injectors with some repair bills running well into four figures. Gone is the need to tear down engines to remove built-up carbon deposits. In fact, in the US BG 44K® as well as other BG products now feature as part of routine car servicing by established car manufacturers and their dealers networks. The same is now happening in the UK.

With a recommended use of every 10,000 to 12,000 miles, one treatment is all that’s required for you to notice the difference in starting and engine running. Most notice a difference within 1/3 of a tank through the treatment.

Please don’t confuse BG 44K® with off-the-shelf injector cleaners. There is no comparison and no better product available on the market today. Other cleaners don’t provide the necessary cleaning power to completely remove deposits, gum and varnish from fuel injectors. Furthermore, they barely touch the carbon deposits that accumulate over time. At best, they maintain a cleaner fuel system; the problem being that’s it not convenient nor cost effective for you to have to add a cleaner every time you fill your vehicle with fuel.”

This is a bold statement but unfortunately a true one. Most off the shelf cleaners are actually “fuel conditioners” and even though they play a role whilst in the fuel tank, they seldom have any long lasting effect, and that is because they don’t touch the carbon or hard gum deposits. What they tend to do is help “improve” the quality of the combustion and reduce emissions, usually to help pass exhaust gas emissions tests, but that’s all.

“Similarly, don’t confuse BG 44K® with “magic” additives that claim increased horsepower or wildly improved fuel economy. What BG 44K® actually does is restore the performance of your engine back to when it was new. Lost performance and degraded fuel economy will be restored and your vehicle will perform as it did when it left the factory.”

This is refreshing to see. A company that is actually realistic on the expected results of their products. In our business, we see too many over exaggerated claims of performance, reduced MPG etc.

“What makes BG 44K® so effective? A main contributory factor is a key active ingredient called Polyether-amine. As acknowledged by the Engine Manufacturers Association (www.enginemanufacturers.org), PEA as it is commonly known, is the only recognised and approved chemical compound for dissolving and removing hard baked carbon deposits.”

We are very well familiar with PEA chemistry and can confirm that it is the only proven compound for safely and effectively remove carbon build-up in a combustion engine.

“So how does this make BG 44K® significantly more effective than other cleaners or fuel alone? Well, the amine family of chemicals contain Nitrogen so by simply carrying out a titration test to measure the levels of Nitrogen one can determine the effectiveness of the product.

FACT: Internal combustion engines are inefficient and whilst this remains the case they will accumulate deposits. Whilst steps have been taken to include detergents in fuel, unfortunately, they DO NOT contain enough Polyether-amine based chemistry to keep an engine free from deposits.

BG 44K® does contain a strong Polyether-amine based proprietary formula and the results speak for themselves. We would urge you to search on Google, where you will find many links to websites owned by car manufacturers and dealers supporting the use of BG products, not least, BG 44K® and other Total Deposit Control® products. You will also find a wealth of positive feedback and testimonials from those who have tried and continue to use BG 44K®. BG are experts in deposit control and removal for the combustion engine and have lead the way in this field for years.

How You Can Verify It Works Too – Our Challenge to You…

If the own a petrol vehicle then before adding the contents to your tank of fuel, remove one of the spark plugs from the engine and shine a torch down the spark plug hole. You will notice that the top of the piston is black and coated with a carbon build-up. Similarly, the valves and other parts of the internal intake system are likely to be in a similar condition (see images below). Now add BG 44K® to a full tank of fuel and drive the car normally. The carbon will start to dissolve and will be removed through the normal engine combustion process.

The Challenge….

After you are 1/3 of the way through that tank of fuel, remove the spark plug again and shine a torch down the spark plug hole and re-check the condition of the top of the piston. You will notice that much of the carbon is removed and that you will clearly see signs of a cleaner piston and without deposits. After 1/2 to 3/4 of tank of fuel, all you will see is a clean piston with no carbon deposits. We were even able to read the part/serial number on the top of the pistons in our test vehicles! Not only does it thoroughly clean the entire fuel system but it also removes all carbon deposits. “

Ok, so we took up this challenge and ordered a can of BG44K for our Toyota MR2 Turbo (petrol) and BG244 for our Audi A6 2.5TDI (diesel) test vehicle. The results were interesting to say the least.

For the MR2, we pulled all the spark plugs and shoved an endoscope down into the combustion chamber and as expected after 82,400 miles of use, the pistons, valves and combustion chamber were coked-up with carbon.

We need to mention at this point that these products come in cans and not easy to pour bottles, which we would have preferred. However, disposable funnels were provided and we found that they did the job without creating a huge mess. As per the instructions, we emptied the contents into the fuel tanks respectively and filled up with fuel on top.

For our tests, we just drove the cars normally – general commuting and so on. What became apparent very quickly with the MR2, after approximately 50 miles, was that it felt much smoother. Furthermore, the tick over when at standstill was smoother. We weren’t expecting a result as quickly but we put this down to the high concentration of PEA, which although is still very safe for the engine, it is not cheap to produce.

Because of the quick results, we decided to pull the plugs out again after only 100 miles and check for carbon build-up. Sure enough, it was almost gone with some traces left but the components were mostly back to bare metal. We were impressed. A check after 200 miles revealed completely clean piston tops. The engine note was also notably quieter; again, this is down to the carbon removal.

Overall the car felt great, was picking up speed quicker and was much smoother. Now, let’s not fool ourselves – it hasn’t gained an increase in performance over factory figures, but more accurately, has restored the engine back to the power it had when it left the factory.

The BG244 on our Audi gained similar results. It just picked up smoother and was more responsive. There also notably less clatter. But what really impressed us was the reduction in smoke both when the turbo kicks and at higher RPM.

We accept that these aren’t the most scientific of tests but for these type of products we are firm believers in gathering empirical data rather than squatting over an engine dyno. After all, these particular cleaners were not exactly aimed at increasing performance. Instead it just so happens to be a bi-product of a cleaner and thus more efficient engine. As such, we are confident that both BG44K and BG244 do what they say on the tin. Our only criticism is the cans that they come in. They are virtually useless for pouring into a fuel tank. I know that some retailers are providing a free funnel but even then it is difficult to use. If you can, try to obtain the BG clip on funnel as this makes it much easier. Alternatively, pour it into a 5 litre jerry can with some fuel and then add it to the tank

Strange, my 10,000 mile experience of v power is here

http://www.toyotaown...0

Sorry Phil....smee being a bit thick here....what point are you making...?

I looked back at your previous posting / link, only to find the exact thing I referred to.....an EGR that indeed has some soot / carbon, but certainly the holes are not blocked by any means. Is that not further testament to V-Power, or is that indeed your point I am missing....? There is indeed a fair bit more shuch than I experienced in mine today, but having seen photos of somebody else's EGR after normal and/or Supermarket diesel, your photo is not that bad.

Big Kev

Question.. Why is the EGR in My car spotlessly clean after 9000 miles and for about half that mileage it has been consuming oil big style ?? I wish I had taken a picture of it now !!

Perhaps its because its been fed V power 90% of the time ??

Sorry Im using my phone and it keeps losing signal and not saving my post everytime i submit!

I wasn't expecting that much soot to be honest, as you mentioned, yours wasn't as bad?

I predominantly do short journeys of under 20 miles so maybe that's why..

Question.. Why is the EGR in My car spotlessly clean after 9000 miles and for about half that mileage it has been consuming oil big style ?? I wish I had taken a picture of it now !! Perhaps its because its been fed V power 90% of the time ??

Just about to ask exactfully that question, Muckeroony.....consider ma wee fat bubble well and truly mildly deflaticated, as I thought my not too dirty EGR would be some kind of indicator that all was none too bad on "other well documented fronts which I have not yet succumbeded to...."

shrinking kev

Sorry Im using my phone and it keeps losing signal and not saving my post everytime i submit!

I wasn't expecting that much soot to be honest, as you mentioned, yours wasn't as bad?

I predominantly do short journeys of under 20 miles so maybe that's why..

Me also too forbye, Phil, since I stopped working. Am helping modernise The Mayor of Hiroshima's bungalow only a few miles from here, so short journeys are order of the day (hence a wee injectment of BG244...)

Would estimate 50% of what I see in your valve approx.

Big Kev

Kev, I think you are taking this detailing to far, have you treated it with jetseal 109....

Gus

Couldn't get it to spread properly using wife's lekky toothbrush, Gus....wee surprise awaits her in ten days....thank goodness she only brushes her dentures every two weeks, mate.

Bad Kev

Question.. Why is the EGR in My car spotlessly clean after 9000 miles and for about half that mileage it has been consuming oil big style ?? I wish I had taken a picture of it now !!

Does it smoke much Charlie? I just wonder if your turbo is using oil and not the engine??

Does it smoke much Charlie? I just wonder if your turbo is using oil and not the engine??

No Mate no smoke at all and I have stood outside the car with one leg stretched inside and pressed the gas pedal.. No smoke....

Kev, I think you are taking this detailing to far, have you treated it with jetseal 109....

Gus

Couldn't get it to spread properly using wife's lekky toothbrush, Gus....wee surprise awaits her in ten days....thank goodness she only brushes her dentures every two weeks, mate.

Bad Kev

You cannot beat the wifes toothbrush, for getting doggy poo off the soles of your trainers :naughty: Stew