Do Not Sell My Personal Information

White Smoke/exaust And Tapping Noise

baz1631

Hello again gentlemen ........and ladies, ,,: got white (ish) exaust when starting from cold but goes away after engine heats up to normal temp. also got slight "tapping" noise. sounds like an old taxi!. Got new turbo fitted 4 mths ago and car runs well but this has been happening since. Mech. put some "particulate cleaner" in engine to clean out any residue oil ect, has this got anythine to do with my problem? would be greatfull for any comments. THANX GUYS :-) ^_^

Hello again gentlemen ........and ladies, ,,: got white (ish) exaust when starting from cold but goes away after engine heats up to normal temp. also got slight "tapping" noise. sounds like an old taxi!. Got new turbo fitted 4 mths ago and car runs well but this has been happening since. Mech. put some "particulate cleaner" in engine to clean out any residue oil ect, has this got anythine to do with my problem? would be greatfull for any comments. THANX GUYS :-) ^_^

Wotsha Baz min but......sounds like you have an injector "out of tolerance" perhaps ? Does it go away when heated up, and increase along with engine revs....?

Big Kev

Hello again gentlemen ........and ladies, ,,: got white (ish) exaust when starting from cold but goes away after engine heats up to normal temp. also got slight "tapping" noise. sounds like an old taxi!. Got new turbo fitted 4 mths ago and car runs well but this has been happening since. Mech. put some "particulate cleaner" in engine to clean out any residue oil ect, has this got anythine to do with my problem? would be greatfull for any comments. THANX GUYS :-)

hi mate

may we know a nature of white smoke please ?? please be precise with wording -- is that diesel unburnt smoke or condensate steam ? open bonnet and rev engine manually via throttle --- what is going on with engine noise / smoke? open an engine air filter/remove filter element and again rev the engine - what is going on? what color of coolant in the expansion plastic tank? bleed fuel system thru fuel filter and observe - whether or not an air is going out with diesel? first thing - take a white sheet of paper and ask helper to hold it against tail pipe when revved --- what is on the paper ??? water traces or unburnt diesel?

cheers/Igor

Wotsha Baz min but......sounds like you have an injector "out of tolerance" perhaps ? Does it go away when heated up, and increase along with engine revs....?

Big Kev

Wazzup B K ? Aye it increases a bit when rev are increased but goes away when enine up to temp...u must be phsycic! or is that phsycotic lol?

Big Kev

Wazzup B K ? Aye it increases a bit when rev are increased but goes away when enine up to temp...u must be phsycic! or is that phsycotic lol?

Big Kev

Sorry BK,, was thinkin of sumthin else the smoke / exaust goes away when heated and increases when revved up but clears when temp reached.! Dementia must be settin in early today :doctor: will injector cleaner help the exaust problem or am I just hpoing too much!

Oh, the joys of owning an oil-burner.

However one of the down-sides is that they take 3 years to warm up. From what I have read above, and in the mildly damp climate, your engine is taking a while to heat up the swamp lying in your exhaust to a point when the swamp becomes a steaming loch of boiling crud. It emerges as white smoke - also known as steam in some countries - and can be exacerbated by the action of a turbo compressing humid cold air.

You could try fixing it by keeping your car in an oven. :clap:

However one of the down-sides is that they take 3 years to warm up. From what I have read above, and in the mildly damp climate, your engine is taking a while to heat up the swamp lying in your exhaust to a point when the swamp becomes a steaming loch of boiling crud. It emerges as white smoke - also known as steam in some countries - and can be exacerbated by the action of a turbo compressing humid cold air.

Not really the answer I was looking for Bothy! So do I nip out and buy an aga cooker ? or can I put an injector cleaner in the tank or what?

You can't really do any harm Baz. Apparently BG244 is the one to go for.

Not really the answer I was looking for Bothy! So do I nip out and buy an aga cooker ? or can I put an injector cleaner in the tank or what?

I run both RAVs with turbos - and both in this weather emit plumes of white smoke on takeoff. However the slight difference is they reach operating temperature very very quickly. I am experimenting with one car (number 1) by keeping it in my large new garage, and have installed a large commercial Falcon oven together with a wood-burning stove. However as the car still does not have the speedo replaced, then its not been out for a trial flight. I will let you know after the test runs.... hopefully not too far away! The Falcon was in my kitchen but I replaced it with a larger 10 grid model. The wood stove is a 20kw job, but whereas the oven is on slick wheels, the stove is not yet boasting any wheels or alloys. Not that it would make any difference to the effect in the garage - dry air is what I'm aiming for.

We had some issues with starting and once fired up white smoke (not a lot though). It was only like that when really cold and required two key turns/glow plug heats before it would start. Once warmer and running for a few mins the smoke had gone. Ive since changed the glow plugs an it's gone away (theyd done 99k mind!)

We had some issues with starting and once fired up white smoke (not a lot though). It was only like that when really cold and required two key turns/glow plug heats before it would start. Once warmer and running for a few mins the smoke had gone. Ive since changed the glow plugs an it's gone away (theyd done 99k mind!)

HI GG, Yes I was thinking of changing mine when it went in for the turbo replacement, but never got round to it...........work all night sleep all day, maybe 'am just lazy!. Will need to get some soon, mine has also done around the 90,000 mark. Its a bit like me , old/ worn out/ and needing a few new bits !

I'd recommend changing them yourself it's dead easy an took 20mins. You need a 10mm deep socket to remove the glow plugs on the 4.3 and a 14mm spanner to losen the left bolt on a bracket that sits in front of the left hand/drivers side plug. Really is a piece of *****. Hardest thing was tracking down the plugs. Mine with vat from Mr T were £109 inc vat cause I needed them quickly you can shop around and get them for about £22 each.