Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting Front Mud Flap With Side Steps

I have checked the pinned articles and there is not anything about fitting the front mud flaps when the side steps are fitted, has anyone got any instuctions/pictures that will help me or am I lining myself up for writing one?

Gus

I have checked the pinned articles and there is not anything about fitting the front mud flaps when the side steps are fitted, has anyone got any instuctions/pictures that will help me or am I lining myself up for writing one?

Gus

Gustavus....bearing in mind your advancing years, do what I did re the side steps....give them to a wee local indie with ramps, as it's a dawdle with under-access. Totally feasible "off ground" but a literal pain in the neck. Fitting the fludmaps not difficult though......

Big Kev....at least one of us cares aboot ye....

you cheeky "auld" bugg devil ;) the side steps are fitted, factory order you see :P and the rears mud flappers are fitted but the useless T workshop have said we will put the front ones in the car for you to fit as we wont/cant fit them as we would have to modify them.

Gus

you cheeky "auld" bugg devil ;) the side steps are fitted, factory order you see :P and the rears mud flappers are fitted but the useless T workshop have said we will put the front ones in the car for you to fit as we wont/cant fit them as we would have to modify them. Gus

Oops...complete miscomporehendication there Gus....await Charlie's input....I am sure he got round this problem for a neighbour who was told the fronts couldnae go on too. Severe apologetications,

Big Kev :flowers:

Which steps do you have Gus? Are they the standard steps with longditudinal rubber strips or the 'Stylish' ones with rubber studs?

If the former they should be dead easy, if the latter I believe you do need to modify them.

See PDFs

Front mud flaps - no over fender.pdf

Front Mudflaps set PZ416-X0962-00 AIM 00518-0.pdf

urm think they are the ones with the studs, I vaguely remember someone saying they used a dremel to modify the mudflaps, hopefully a junior hacksaw will do!

Mega Kev no apologies needed - I appreciate at your age these things happen (my grand daddy told me) :goof:

Dave, Kev, many thanks I guess I need to get the car and flaps in front of me.

Gus

Gus, I would be very interested to see what you get and what you do with them! I have the same sidesteps as you :)

Charlie's yer man for the modification. As Kev said, he did indeed do the deed :)

Send hm a PM and I'm sure he'll elaborate on what needs doing/difficulty.

David (Hoovie) I'll practice on mine and next time you are down my way, I can get a chance to do it right (think I got that the wrong way round?)

Good idea Dave (Davrav) will get a pm drafted and sent.

Gus

edit found Charlies post, doesnt look too difficult.

Does anyone have any of the cheaper copy sidesteps on their Rav,and if you do what do you think of em??

Mrs P. would like a set on the new Rav,but was roughly quoted £500 from Toyota fitted :eek:

I have been looking at These which seem to have a good feedback and nearly half the price of original Toyotas.

Also does anyone know if the mudflaps off a 2002 4.2 will fit a 2004 4.3??

The new Rav we are having doesn't have the mud flaps fitted and the dealer told us to take em off the old Rav and put em on the new one??

Thank you :thumbsup:

If the mud flaps are Toyota ones they will not fit as they are moulded to the wheel arch profile and the two cars are different.

Can't comment on the side steps. The genuine ones do come up on e-bay and are not difficult to fit.

David.. Its only on the latest model that You cant fit mud flaps.. On the 4.3 you definately can and also on the 4.2 I'm almost certain...

I fitted a full set of four mud-flaps to My neighbours 2011 version... All it took was a little trimming and fettling with the dremel and on they went and a factory fit they are as well...

So it is possible to fit the standard genuine Toyota Mud flaps to the very latest cars.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fitting mudflaps to the car with the later steps fitted is a doddle.. Simply hold them up to the mounting points and You will see where You have to trim... Take Your time and a true factory for is easy..

I'm sure all You old boys will be aware of the old adage measure twice do one ? My dear old Dad used to say it so I feel sure You older bug..... Chaps will remember ??

A dremel is Your best pall here.. cut and file a wee bit away at a time as once cut it cut and cant be put back.. Really is a piece of cake and an hours work if You take your time and seek perfection ....

I'm sure all You old boys will be aware of the old adage measure twice do one ? My dear old Dad used to say it so I feel sure You older bug..... Chaps will remember ??

Could not agree more Charlie, as I sit here in my office looking at a piece of steel value £3K, with only 1 bore machined and already JUNK

:giljotiini:

sounds simple enough.

It sounds also that it would be worth making a template using maybe a bit of sheet styrene and then transferring that over to the actual mudflap (would also be able to simply reverse the template for the opposite side :)

Next Question ... what Mudflaps? I see a cpuple of different styles on eBay - any suggestions to the ones to go for?

OH, and I don't know what you mean about measure twice twice?? I'm working on something and no matter how many times I measure and cut the piece, it is still too short!

Buy the genuine Toyota ones anything else will be crap and may not modify as well.

Tip.. Put the top most bolt in loosely and just ease the flap to the side so as to machine wee bits away at a time.. This will aid a perfect fit ... Without a Dremel or a similar tool the job would be impossible...

Buy the genuine Toyota ones anything else will be crap and may not modify as well.

Tip.. Put the top most

Could not agree more Charlie, as I sit here in my office looking at a piece of steel value £3K, with only 1 bore machined and already JUNK

:giljotiini:

bolt in loosely and just ease the flap to the side so as to machine wee bits away at a time.. This will aid a perfect fit ... Without a Dremel or a similar tool the job would be impossible...

Coooorrrr Thats one expensive way of learning to measure twice.......

Had dialogue with Parts-King on exactly this subject in October last year and the answer was no for the front mud flaps.....will toddle off and buy the Dremel this afternoon. Top posts as ever.

can I rent it off you when you have finished..... or I could just bring the mud flap up, not sure a stanley knife and a junior hacksaw will cut it (pun intended)

dont forget the pictures and write up of how to do it.

Gus

Anything is possible my friend!

Mudflaps on order from Kingo and will take a week or so to arrive, am going to wait and see how much 'adjustment' is required before popping out to buy the Dremel type device. No worries with posting the final outcome, assuming I don't make a complete mess of it!

Can't wait to stop the crud up the side of the car to be honest.

Mudflaps arrived in the week from Parts-King, many thanks great service as ever. Fitted this morning. 30 minutes tops and only had to cut off the lower tab on the front flaps to make them fit just fine. Rear flaps need a pilot hole drilling but no drama and all parts supplied fit for purpose.

Andy

Apologies if I am missing some thing here but I have OEM side steps/runners and OEM mudflaps all round retro fitted by Mr T for £350 & all fit perfectly fine.....not sure why £500 has been referenced in this thread...........is the dealer wearing a mask?? :P

Hi.

I think the key point is about the type of side steps/runners, as mentioned by DavRav near the start of the thread

What type of runners have you?

Hi.

I think the key point is about the type of side steps/runners, as mentioned by DavRav near the start of the thread

What type of runners have you?

OEM ones - here's a few pics via flickr as the gallery seems to be down again:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52210934@N06/6932490837/in/photostream/

you have the OEM ones that don't need flaps modding. The other OEM steps have a different profile, hence the problem.

Well the latest side steps on a new Rav (piccies will eventually follow) do not allow front mudflaps to be fitted no matter what modifications are applied.

Gus