Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Cv Joint

Whiteclaw

Are the expensive to repair?

Secondly, what the hell is it? Not my car, but a friends. Makes a clicking noise when turning.

not normally difficult to repair or expensive - depends where it is. Its a cruciform joint which basically allows drive through a shafts which may alter angles - such as on a propshaft or driveshaft. they wear out. In the good old days you used to have to grease them but now they are a sealed joint which does eventually wear causing looseness and the clicking you mention.

not normally difficult to repair or expensive - depends where it is. Its a cruciform joint which basically allows drive through a shafts which may alter angles - such as on a propshaft or driveshaft. they wear out. In the good old days you used to have to grease them but now they are a sealed joint which does eventually wear causing looseness and the clicking you mention.

I think I have a hip joint and a knee joint going the same way.

If you look under any car at the driven wheels you should be able to locate a drive shaft. It's a big metal bar with a rubber booted piece at each end. Inside the rubber booted bit is the CV joint as stated these can wear at high mileages or lower ones if that rubber boot has perished or split allow muck to mix with the grease an increase wear rate. As stated you can get replacement ends from after market suppliers but some times it's easier to get another complete shaft from a breakers swap the complete bit over. The ends of a drive shaft have splines and these need matching to the hub and gear box/diff so if your getting one from a breakers make sure it's off the same model, engine and gearbox type an you should be fine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links