Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil Change

DjRav

Sorry if this has been covered, but I can't see it! I'm going to do an oil change next weekend. Had a full service by main dealer last time and will do next time.

But for this "service" I was quoted £139 but when quizzed they said its ONLY an oil change. Got a price from Kingo for a filter so I'll order that tomorrow but I've two questions;

Is an oil change ALL that's required? Can't help thinking there's more to it!

Oil choice- some recommend Morris oil, so I was looking at "Morris multi life c3 5w30" which I believe is fully synthetic (as recommended on their web site using my number plate). Or is there something better?

Cheers,

Dave

You are correct. The interim service is an oil change and a visual check only..

Provided You have the correct wrench ( PM Me if You don't I will send You My one) and a pair of functioning eyes You can do Your self.

Anchorman or Mistermena or perhaps Jedi ????? Will advise which oil is best but from memory Morrises semi synthetic is the way to go and an OE filter......

Sorry if this has been covered, but I can't see it! I'm going to do an oil change next weekend. Had a full service by main dealer last time and will do next time.

But for this "service" I was quoted £139 but when quizzed they said its ONLY an oil change. Got a price from Kingo for a filter so I'll order that tomorrow but I've two questions;

Oil choice- some recommend Morris oil, so I was looking at "Morris multi life c3 5w30" which I believe is fully synthetic (as recommended on their web site using my number plate). Or is there something better?

Cheers,

Dave

Here comes a can of worms, Dave....only JUST LAST WEEK I was topped up by Mr.T. as "part of the ongoing service" with Havoline 5w/30 SEMI SYNTHETIC OIL in my SR180, WHICH WAS SERVICED LAST JULY AT 20K WITH 5w/30 FULLY SYNTHETIC. (Please note the top up was just that...a top up....)

To the best of my knowledge and Service Receipt reading, the 20k service was the first time FULLY SYNTHETIC had been put in my car, and I am assured that both oils are totally mixable and compatible.

The very helpful Service Operative did not say the following, but this is what I take from the conversation and he neither agreed nor disagreed......

"Regardless of which GOOD oils I put in my car, if I have a problem 2AD engine, the known problem will surface...."

Point.....? If I were you, Dave, I would be using Semi Synthetic and pocket the sometimes substantial £ difference.

Incoming......

Big Kev

Provided You have the correct wrench ( PM Me if You don't I will send You My one) and a pair of functioning eyes You can do Your self.

Anchorman or Mistermena or perhaps Jedi ????? Will advise which oil is best but from memory Morrises semi synthetic is the way to go and an OE filter......

Visual check sounds in my capabilities! I bought a wrench last week (like a set of over sized pipe pliers) and I'm poised to order the filter from parts-king which I presume is the dogs!

Cheers,

Dave

Here comes a can of worms, Dave....only JUST LAST WEEK I was topped up by Mr.T. as "part of the ongoing service" with Havoline 5w/30 SEMI SYNTHETIC OIL in my SR180, WHICH WAS SERVICED LAST JULY AT 20K WITH 5w/30 FULLY SYNTHETIC. (Please note the top up was just that...a top up....)

To the best of my knowledge and Service Receipt reading, the 20k service was the first time FULLY SYNTHETIC had been put in my car, and I am assured that both oils are totally mixable and compatible.

The very helpful Service Operative did not say the following, but this is what I take from the conversation and he neither agreed nor disagreed......

"Regardless of which GOOD oils I put in my car, if I have a problem 2AD engine, the known problem will surface...."

Point.....? If I were you, Dave, I would be using Semi Synthetic and pocket the sometimes substantial £ difference.

Incoming......

Big Kev

You're right, I was going to put semi-synthetic in as that's what's in it now. But when I put the number plate in the Morris's web site it recommends full synthetic?! But then doing a search on a well known selling site I came across a 4 x 5l pack (20litres) of the good stuff for £65 with delivery. That's cheaper than Halfords own! Also 20 litres will do the Rav twice and my "other" car (whose name isn't usually mentioned here) once (needs 7.2 litres! But then it was due a service 6 months ago and is systematically neglected!)

Also (everything crossed) I haven't had any "needs a new engine" symptoms except a little coolant loss which seems to have been a one off.

Dave

Visual check sounds in my capabilities! I bought a wrench last week (like a set of over sized pipe pliers) and I'm poised to order the filter from parts-king which I presume is the dogs!

NO NO NO Do not attack the filter housing with anything but the correct sized socket/wrench !! its a 64.5 mill large socket that You need ... I will find the right torque settings for You later on for the sump plug and the filter housing......

The right or OE filter has a wee adaptor so You can drain the oil out of the old one before removing it.... That way is less messy !!

Please lets not start about oil again or I'm away to find a short rope and a high rafter !!!

Morrises semi synthetic is the way to go. Anchs will advise Mate. Trust Him He knows better than the Vodaphone Kid !!

64.5 Charlie (I think you did a typo).

The socket Kev got of eBay was very good quality;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Release-64-5mm-Aluminium-Oil-Filter-Wrench-Toyota-Lexus-GS-ES-LS-/360428470899?pt=UK_Measuring_Tools_Levels&hash=item53eb360273

You will also find the full service schedule in the service book.

You will find the oil change much easier with the plastic shield off the bottom.

64.5 Charlie (I think you did a typo).

The socket Kev got of ebay was very good quality;

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item53eb360273

You will also find the full service schedule in the service book.

You will find the oil change much easier with the plastic shield off the bottom.

Ooops .. Corrected ....

Cheers,

Dave

I was just wondering how Toyota would react in the case of the extended engine warranty claim if you have no proof that the oil change was done. I have just had Toyota do an interim service on my car (even though it pained me to let them) just to keep the service record up to date so that they will have no excuses if the unspeakable happened. They used 5.9 ltrs of Mobil ESP fully synthetic and a genuine filter which adds up to around £68.00, so the service costs £60.00 in labour, total £128. So £60.00 maybe the cost of less sleepless nights and that is peace of mind to me ...... just my take on it.

Pete.

All fully synthetics and semi`s are not the same...........anything with A1/B1 I would not trust in this engine,,A5/B5 is dubious???

C2 and C3 spec seem to be ok.....from what people are saying on the forums

The stuff Mistermenia uses Mobile 1 ESP ticks all the right boxs,its covers most of VW`s strick oil standards, and Anchs has had no problems with the Morris semi he uses (which one is this Don as there are a few 5w/30).......These so far are doing the job in these engines as far as I can see.

Still suprised Toyota have no oil standards? or do they? I wonder if all dealerships are using the mobile ESP stuff?

If in doubt, and it was my engine I would but in oil with a Vw 504/507 oil spec approval.

Just my 2 p`s worth again :D

Cheers,

Dave

I was just wondering how Toyota would react in the case of the extended engine warranty claim if you have no proof that the oil change was done. I have just had Toyota do an interim service on my car (even though it pained me to let them) just to keep the service record up to date so that they will have no excuses if the unspeakable happened. They used 5.9 ltrs of Mobil ESP fully synthetic and a genuine filter which adds up to around £68.00, so the service costs £60.00 in labour, total £128. So £60.00 maybe the cost of less sleepless nights and that is peace of mind to me ...... just my take on it.

Pete.

Spot on Pete....the exact reason why I just gave MrT £319.00 for two MOT's and 2 services. The MOT's are £54.00 each, leaving the balance to pay for the 30k "interim" service and also the 40k "major" service which they informed me would alone have been £430.00. Would I have paid that for the 40k alone....? Like Friar.....these offers are obviously means of retention, but this one makes sense and carries on the "traceability and culpability" GOING FORWARD INTO THE UNKNOWN.....

Big Kev.

Pete.

Interesting point, as I would rather go to an indie than the dealer.

From looking into protecting my warranty, I can get the service done without going to a dealer. But I need to go to a VAT registered indie garage and get invoices showing OEM-level parts and consumables are used.

And as discussed on another thread, there is the issue of whether a dealer stamped-up service book would make it easier/ financially better to part-exchange, as it allows the dealer to put the car onto an Approved Scheme. As HonestJohn says, many franchised dealers (particularly Audi dealers) will not buy in stock that has not been Audi-maintained throughout its life.

I was quoted 158 quid for an interim service which on the face of it seemed not to bad... Then I was advised on here that the service consists of juts the oil and filter change and less of an inspection that You can get free at any Toyota dealer ( Free Visual Health Check...........

So under the watchful eye of a mechanic Friend I did the job Myself... I also removed all the brake pads for a dust off and a proper inspection and lubed every part that needed lubing...... Then had the book stamped...

My Mechanic Friend did the brake fluid change .. Job done ..

Total cost ? under 30 quid....

Cmon MrT We want to use You but who really wants to pay 158 quid for a blooming oil change ??

Kev I take Your point but most local MOT stations will do You a trade MOT for 35 nicker... That leaves a fair margin for the Dealer no ???

They buy their oil in !Removed! great drums and costs far less than half what We punters pay over the counter for a fancy tub with a load of old cobblers written on it

Edited by Red Yaris 54
Inflammatory personal comment removed

So just my pennies worth on this one!... Mobil 1 ESP (5w-30) meets all the top specs for a cracked synth oil as Jedi says in conforms with the latest VW 507 00 specs, which is very good as the flash point in very high as is the viscosity index. The TBN number is good for a low ash content oil meeting the C2 spec. Genuine Toyota oil filters can be bought off eBay for 0.99p!!! Yep... I bought 10 of them and with postage it cost me £16. I also bought genuine Denso (Mr T) fuel filters for £4 including delivery! These are over £40 from the main dealers. I have 7 standing by for my 20k fuel filter changes.

Go onto eBay and you'll be able to get fuel filter for less than a tennor (There are some on there atm, afaik) so a fuel filter in for next to nothing. There is a seller of Fleabay that sells 2x5ltr of Mobil 1 ESP for £62 (Ish) delivered called Matt Lewis Motor Sports! My mate Acetip also bought from the same seller as I did and very happy. If the OP is anywhere near to Cardiff I'll give you a genuine Toyota oil and fuel filter for free.

Mr Yaris. If You cant spot the difference between a bit of fun and inflammatory comment perhaps You should consider Your position as a Moderator !!

I was quoted 158 quid for an interim service which on the face of it seemed not to bad... Then I was advised on here that the service consists of juts the oil and filter change and less of an inspection that You can get free at any Toyota dealer ( Free Visual Health Check...........

So under the watchful eye of a mechanic Friend I did the job Myself... I also removed all the brake pads for a dust off and a proper inspection and lubed every part that needed lubing...... Then had the book stamped...

My Mechanic Friend did the brake fluid change .. Job done ..

Total cost ? under 30 quid....

Cmon MrT We want to use You but who really wants to pay 158 quid for a blooming oil change ??

Kev I take Your point but most local MOT stations will do You a trade MOT for 35 nicker... That leaves a fair margin for the Dealer no ???

They buy their oil in !Removed! great drums and costs far less than half what We punters pay over the counter for a fancy tub with a load of old cobblers written on it

Charlies cool :D !!!! I get his humor !!!! :thumbsup:.....................................I think????? :laughing:

I give him enough stick about his engine and oil....he deserves to give some back!! :thumbsup:

As for anyone else.............Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :fishyface:

That was a joke to anyone who got the wrong end of the fish :D

I use bog standard B2 semi-synthetic in mine;

http://www.morrislub...36&idProduct=45

I changed the oil in Guy's T180 and he brought the oil that RRG sold him which was the bog standard B2 oil just the same. I only think that the later D-CATs like Hoovies should have C2 oil.

Kingo has told us there is 2 grades of Toyota oil, basically semi-synthetic and fully synthetic. The dealers seem to be using either and in some cases both!!!

If anyone wants Morris's C2 oil you can get it deliverd for much less than some of these prices you keep scaring me with. Appropriately enough, Morris's call their C2 oil "C two" and you can get it for £42.52 deliverd to your door;

http://www.morrislub...6&idProduct=252

My semi synthetic is only £28.38 delivered but I get it for about £20 (shcm can you confirm) from a local motor factor.

Tim

Where is the link for those filters? I have seen them online before but they were for US V6 engines. There are many versions of this paper element but most are too short and will not filter the oil properly. From memory they should be 3.5/8" long.

I use bog standard B2 semi-synthetic in mine;

http://www.morrislub...36&idProduct=45

I changed the oil in Guy's T180 and he brought the oil that RRG sold him which was the bog standard B2 oil just the same. I only think that the later D-CATs like Hoovies should have C2 oil.

Kingo has told us there is 2 grades of Toyota oil, basically semi-synthetic and fully synthetic. The dealers seem to be using either and in some cases both!!!

If anyone wants Morris's C2 oil you can get it deliverd for much less than some of these prices you keep scaring me with. Appropriately enough, Morris's call their C2 oil "C two" and you can get it for £42.52 deliverd to your door;

http://www.morrislub...6&idProduct=252

My semi synthetic is only £28.38 delivered but I get it for about £20 (shcm can you confirm) from a local motor factor.

Tim

Where is the link for those filters? I have seen them online before but they were for US V6 engines. There are many versions of this paper element but most are too short and will not filter the oil properly. From memory they should be 3.5/8" long.

Hi Don,

Here is a link to a Genuine Denso fuel filter. I'll see if there is any more oil ones to be had... http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Here are some oil filters. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-TOYOTA-OIL-FILTER-04152-0R010-AURIS-COROLLA-AVENSIS-ETC-IAD-2AD-ENG-NEW-/270904163541?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f13257cd5

I was very lucky to buy mine very cheap as no one else bid on the guys sale.

This is what Guy was sold for his T180. Quite a good price delivered!!;

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item53eb7039f0

Its what they call FE (Fuel Economy) oil.

This is their super duper fully synthetic PFE (Premium Fuel Economy) C2 oil;

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item53eb54e5d7

Jolly Good Show, min.....just bought 2 x 5 litres of the cheaper of the two above to do more regular (6 monthly) oil changes on Funnerburd Too Petrol 3 Door....stonkingly good price....thanks for nod. Must get some filters now, maybe from that pie eating Russian Wine consumer near That Wales.....

Big Kev :flowers:

Other pie eating Russian Wine consumer from Wales here! :eat: :D

Come down for a pint of Brains SA mate and I'll give you a filter :yes:

Just like to confirm for the record just how much it pains me to have any car of mine serviced by a Dealership or any garage for that matter having been in the trade all my life and never ever let anyone else work on my car .... but I'm no fool and with this ongoing 2AD engine problem I will stick to their rules for now especially as they seem to be less willing than they used to be to do warranty work without a long drawn out process and to quote Toyota "every warranty claim will be judged individually" so I take it that they will have no real grounds of refusal if "THEY" serviced my car.

Thanks to all the links on prices for oil and filters,

Pete.

Are there any technical data sheets available for these oils?......

Just like to confirm for the record just how much it pains me to have any car of mine serviced by a Dealership or any garage for that matter having been in the trade all my life and never ever let anyone else work on my car .... but I'm no fool and with this ongoing 2AD engine problem I will stick to their rules for now especially as they seem to be less willing than they used to be to do warranty work without a long drawn out process and to quote Toyota "every warranty claim will be judged individually" so I take it that they will have no real grounds of refusal if "THEY" serviced my car.

Thanks to all the links on prices for oil and filters,

Pete.

No probs my mate :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links