Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Do You Use To Diy Diagnose/repair

kevinlear

Hello guys.

I wonder there should be some car maintenance DIYers here.

So what tool or device do you use to do daily diagnosis in your car? :driving:

My left ear (half deaf in the right :) )

you must be kidding man ... :D

My left ear (half deaf in the right :) )

you must be kidding man ... :D

Fraid not. Typical case of experience - old enough to have it - too old for the body to use it :ermm:

(Frequently heard a change of or new noise in a car before anything more obvious showed up, so I'm always alert to how the thing sounds.)

Fraid not. Typical case of experience - old enough to have it - too old for the body to use it :ermm:

(Frequently heard a change of or new noise in a car before anything more obvious showed up, so I'm always alert to how the thing sounds.)

Sorry, I mean I'm not very experienced, sometimes I may recognize the noise and know something must be wrong, but I can't figure out more details like what probably the problem is..

So a scan tool may be helpful for me so that I will have an idea on what to check.

Sorry, I mean I'm not very experienced, sometimes I may recognize the noise and know something must be wrong, but I can't figure out more details like what probably the problem is..

So a scan tool may be helpful for me so that I will have an idea on what to check.

Fair enough. Unfortunately instrumentation on cars doesn't tell you a lot much of the time. Many problems that arise may have no or little effect on things like oil pressure or coolant temp. Scantool only tells you what the ECU thinks is going on, though not saying that can't be useful.

Do you have anything that you are expecting to go wrong? Is there something you are especially neurotic about? (Most people have a pet worry - eg. if it's a flat tyre, then a tyre pressure monitor would be the thing to fit.)

For "daily diagnosis" just get to know your vehicle. When you are driving you can feel it through your hands and bum, hear it, and indeed smell it. You are like a spider in the middle of a web waiting for that interesting twitch - though in this case you should be hoping to starve :)

Check under the bonnet regularly, while running - cold and hot, to get the 'normal' sounds and heats in your head. And obviously check fluid levels and for signs of leaks regularly.

If your worried you could use the fine offices of Mr T...

And don't forget to take plenty of tenners :D

Mr T needs feeding with them..........

Fair enough. Unfortunately instrumentation on cars doesn't tell you a lot much of the time. Many problems that arise may have no or little effect on things like oil pressure or coolant temp. Scantool only tells you what the ECU thinks is going on, though not saying that can't be useful.

Do you have anything that you are expecting to go wrong? Is there something you are especially neurotic about? (Most people have a pet worry - eg. if it's a flat tyre, then a tyre pressure monitor would be the thing to fit.)

For "daily diagnosis" just get to know your vehicle. When you are driving you can feel it through your hands and bum, hear it, and indeed smell it. You are like a spider in the middle of a web waiting for that interesting twitch - though in this case you should be hoping to starve :)

Check under the bonnet regularly, while running - cold and hot, to get the 'normal' sounds and heats in your head. And obviously check fluid levels and for signs of leaks regularly.

Thank you very much for your suggestion, it will be a long way for me, by noises,driving feelings,smells...

Do you think it is better for me to get a simply, cheap code reader.. when I find somewhere is wrong, like, engine system, read the fault code first, to see where the problem is, so could know which area should I check..

Or else..

Thank you again!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links