Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Overheating... Help !

Renaud Belgian Mayers

Hi guys,

I am new on here and need some help.

I do own a '92 Celica GT. She is my pride and joy.

Recently, the engine has started over heating. I can't figure our where the problem comes from.

The radiator is less than 5 years old and I do not lose any water/coolant.

When I start the car, the engine gets to temperature really fast. Less than 2 minutes.

Then it starts overheating...

The engine never overheats on idle, only when the car is driving... At cruising speed, the needle can get right past the red. But if I rev the engine, the temperature gauge goes down straigh away.

Same goes when I stop the car but let the engine idling : The temperarure goes back down...

But as soon as I restart driving at normal speed, it overheats again.

I check the water and oil every day. I don't have any leak and there is no white gunk on the oil cap which seems to show the head gasket is still holding...

In short :

The engine gets to running temperature far too quickly, less than 2 minutes.

The engine does not overheat on idle or at high rev/high speed, but overheat severly when the car drives at normal revs/speed.

Any ideas on what is going on ?

I really need to sort this out pretty quickly.

Many thanks.

Sounds like an air lock near the Temperature Sensor - if this is the case it won't gradually rise it will simply zip straight up. Try bleeding the system and refilling it and as you start it squeeze all the hoses to ensure the air escapes.

Was going to say check the thermostat but if it was that i would not cool down when at idle. Is your fan cutting in ok. if its not but working ok maybe your temp gauge sensor is playing up and giving a false reading.

you say the engine temps up afte 2 mins,is the heater giving out hot air after that short time if not then its going to be the gauge or its sensor.