Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oily Question (Not About Type Tho)

webleymk3

My engine seems to har gotten a bit clunky of late and I way to check the oil for consumption.

I know this sound stupid but when I the best time to check it. I know you don't do it with the engine running but should it be when hot or cold for the most accurate reading..

Cheers

My manual states when warm, but has been switched off for 5 mins, in reality I dont think it matters a great deal as long as you are consistant to monitor consumption.

Gus

As with all my cars i let the car stand overnight in the garage (level floor) so all the oil thats going to settle in the sump,then settles in the sump.and the oil is dipped under the same conditions each time. and i have the oil just 1mm above max mark on the stick. doing this in the road outside ones house you have things like road camber/slopes etc giving a wrong reading.

As the man said 'it works for me'.

I agree with Acetip on this one! Better to have the car parked in the same place standing over night on a level ground. You always know where your upto then...