Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Bought A 2008 Diesel Xtr...have I Bought Well?

Fizzbang

Hi,

Just joined the site after making my forst ever purchase of a RAV4. I just waved a sad goodbye after 12 years of owning my old Avensis 1.8 SE. and this is my first forray into RAV4's. Have I made the right choice?

Hi David . Welcome to the Forum.. Have You bought a petrol or diesel ?? Petrol ones seem to be virtually trouble free where the Diesel ones can have engine problems...

Your user name fits you purchase perfectly :D :P

And welcome to the forum......:D

Me and Charlie are not the best members to ask to be honest..... :P

Hi, Just joined the site after making my forst ever purchase of a RAV4. I just waved a sad goodbye after 12 years of owning my old Avensis 1.8 SE. and this is my first forray into RAV4's. Have I made the right choice?

A bit late to be asking now if ya haven`t Fizzbang :lol:

A very good purchase you have made there Fizzbang.

You have a very good car and ignore all the !Removed! talked about Engine Problems, as IF you do end up having a problem with it due to a design issue with the pistons, just remember it is covered under warranty for another THREE YEARS - how many other 4 year old cars have that guarantee for free??

Yeh Your right 2 engines in six months is not !Removed!.. Its quite normal.. Anyway lets hope David has bought a petrol one,,, ;)

Charlie, to put things into perspective, you are one of only two members on this Forum who have had two engines, and while it is a PITA for it to happen, both were replaced gratis, so A ) it is not a sure thing and B )the extra warranty offered is such that IF a Diesel RAV4 were to have that problem, chances are it would show up within the 7 years and get sorted with the new design, so a Diesel RAV4 of 2008 vintage is still a good buy IMO.

Charlie, to put things into perspective, you are one of only two members on this Forum who have had two engines, and while it is a PITA for it to happen, both were replaced gratis, so A ) it is not a sure thing and B )the extra warranty offered is such that IF a Diesel RAV4 were to have that problem, chances are it would show up within the 7 years and get sorted with the new design, so a Diesel RAV4 of 2008 vintage is still a good buy IMO.

David. Yes just two of Us with new engines .. But how about the countless others that have had just the one ?? What was it another 9 ??

Yes They were Gratis.. And extremely grateful I am .. Unfortunately now the cars have such a bad reputation the trade in values have tumbled.. So that is one that I have to swallow...

You did however buy well and I congratulate You on buying so well. But please try and put Your self in My position ? It is I that have a car that I am struggling badly to sell and trade in values are very weak. That My Friend is not !Removed! !

Hi,

Just joined the site after making my forst ever purchase of a RAV4. I just waved a sad goodbye after 12 years of owning my old Avensis 1.8 SE. and this is my first forray into RAV4's. Have I made the right choice?

MAY I BE THE THIRD TO SAY WELCOME TO THE FORUM, DAVID.....PLEASE DO NOT EXCUSE CAPITALS....yes, you have bought well, you will love the car, and as has been stated, some diesels have indeed been troublesome, but you are well covered on extended warranty should you be one of the minority who suffer from the design problem.

Big Kev

Hi

I have an 06 d4d, 45k goes like a dream, engine sweet as a nut, no water or oil problems, always use cheapest supermarket muck.

mike

Have I made the right choice?

Well, I hope so 'cos that's what I've got :lol:

Welcome to the club and enjoy your RAV David :thumbsup:

Looks like we have "Fizzbanged" David off.

Regards Clare

Looks like we have "Fizzbanged" David off. Regards Clare

Yeah he aint been back yet :lol:

He's probably too busy enjoying his new motor :D

Has anyone got one of the newish petrol engined RAVs with the CVT ? I would be interested to know the mpg achieved in the real world....37.7 mpg is official combined which seems mighty impressive to me.

David

Well, thanks for the somewhat mixed number of replies...i have a toyota used approved..so i hope the problem..if there surfaces in the first 30 days...but...it looked pretty good and is a 2008 XTR...i'll keep you posted..I pick it up tomorrow from the garage .

30 days? If Toyota Approved used you should have a 12 month warranty anyway.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of info here and the Rav is still the best package out there in its segment.

Well, thanks for the somewhat mixed number of replies...i have a toyota used approved..so i hope the problem..if there surfaces in the first 30 days...but...it looked pretty good and is a 2008 XTR...i'll keep you posted..I pick it up tomorrow from the garage .

Heed well the words of DP there David....30 DAYS WARRANTY ON TOYOTA USED APPROVED....? Not correct I trust.....?

Big Kev

As part of the "Toyota Approved" deal, there is a 30 day Exchange (e.g. 'return and chose another vehicle' ) agreement in there, so if there is something about the car he doesn't like, and even if that does not constitute a defect, he can still swap it for another vehicle within that 30 days - that is what I *think* he is meaning.

Good choice. All cars have their problems (as we have experienced with BMW and Mercedes); with the RAV4 diesel there is the engine thing but it's covered by Toyota and apart from that they are a very solid, versatile car with a superb 4WD system. I love mine.

As part of the "Toyota Approved" deal, there is a 30 day Exchange (e.g. 'return and chose another vehicle' ) agreement in there, so if there is something about the car he doesn't like, and even if that does not constitute a defect, he can still swap it for another vehicle within that 30 days - that is what I *think* he is meaning.

It's usually 30 days, or 1000 miles, for the exchange, whichever comes sooner. So watch your mileage, just in case.

It is a diesel...on my drive now...and i love it.

Yes, i meant the 30 day exchange..which s a great featurevof the used approved.

But i don't think this is going back.

I asked them at the garage about the engine issue and they confirmed all that has been said, they also said they themselves have done 2 with the problem, but said not to worry, it will be taken care of.

so next stop David is to enjoy your new motor and hope for a bit of snow for some extra fun :thumbsup:

If you check out the Pinned "hints and tips" section, you may see a few things there which could take your fancy as well :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links