Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Bought A 2008 Diesel Xtr...have I Bought Well?

Fizzbang

Potential issues are ok when you know about them, enjoy your new motor thumbsup.gif

Potential issues are ok when you know about them, enjoy your new motor thumbsup.gif

Could not agree more !! Enjoy that motor David !!

Could not agree more !! Enjoy that motor David !!

....AND do not use SUPERMARKET DIESEL....

:giljotiini:

Kev what a load of balls about super market diesel.

As Ive said before I do 290.7 miles to and from Reading to Newcastle every week and get 42.7mpg. I have a 56 plate 2.2 diesel 6 speed manual and I use what ever fuel I can get normaly Sainsbury or Tesco. I've just clocked 99,000 miles (I bought the car on 16k 6 months old). It's sweet as a nut and still going strong and awesome in the snow. Only thing I wish I'd have got was cruise control but I'm planning on retro fitting it.

Anyway welcome to the forum!

Kev what a load of balls about super market diesel.

As Ive said before I do 290.7 miles to and from Reading to Newcastle every week and get 42.7mpg. I have a 56 plate 2.2 diesel 6 speed manual and I use what ever fuel I can get normaly Sainsbury or Tesco. I've just clocked 99,000 miles (I bought the car on 16k 6 months old). It's sweet as a nut and still going strong and awesome in the snow. Only thing I wish I'd have got was cruise control but I'm planning on retro fitting it.

Anyway welcome to the forum!

....and therein may lie the answer....your car gets up to normal operating temperature and does very long sustained runs, thus clearing itself out of the rubbish that fuel can and does incur....? Would swap ye photos of my EGR of two weeks ago....short journeys hardly ever at decent temperature....only slightly sooty, but photos came out very blurred. Its first 5k was not in my ownership, and wee wummin only did very short journeys, so it got cleaned at 11k and needed it more than it did at 26k with decent fuel....ye pays yer choice and ye makes yer money, mate. Going by the sooty wee problems that are causing well documented headaches hereon, an extra £3.00 a tank load is bearable even to us retired folks.....

Konvinced Kev

Hi

I have an 06 d4d, 45k goes like a dream, engine sweet as a nut, no water or oil problems, always use cheapest supermarket muck.

mike

So does mine after a new water pump, also fitted gratis outside of warranty. Can't fault the service or the car to be fair.

Welcome to the forum.

This fuel issue has and will be argued time and time again...

My experience is that using Vpower I get way better mileage over the same monotonous 360 mile commute.... This is fact NOT fiction! I do this run monthly so there is no mistakes here.

This is backed up by the computer,,,, The range left on it after that 360 mile drive,,, The amount showing on the fuel gauge,, And the amount of fuel put into the tank to brim it again.

Plus the information given to Me by one very knowledgeable service Manager means I would only now use cheap fuel if I could not get decent stuff.....

To those who count the pennies at the pump.. Fine carry on. But count them again at the end of the tank or long journey ???

My experience is that using Vpower I get way better mileage over the same monotonous 360 mile commute.... This is fact NOT fiction! I do this run monthly so there is no mistakes here.

This is backed up by the computer,,,, The range left on it after that 360 mile drive,,, The amount showing on the fuel gauge,, And the amount of fuel put into the tank to brim it again.

Plus the information given to Me by one very knowledgeable service Manager means I would only now use cheap fuel if I could not get decent stuff.....

To those who count the pennies at the pump.. Fine carry on. But count them again at the end of the tank or long journey ???

How quick would you expect to see results? I tried a couple of tanks of VPower and saw no improvement what so ever. Gave up and went back to Morrisons (most convenient) and/or ordinary Shell (if I'm passing one when needing a tank full).

Dave

How quick would you expect to see results? I tried a couple of tanks of VPower and saw no improvement what so ever. Gave up and went back to Morrisons (most convenient) and/or ordinary Shell (if I'm passing one when needing a tank full).

Dave

As a gift from God, I have already been telt I am talking <the spuds of lurrrrvve>s about this fuel thing, Dave, but it really has been borne out by Charlie on one particular thing.....on a long journey, ye get more miles t'galleon. The important thing there is you need to be doing long journeys to see an immediate benefit, e.g. from Berkshire to North East of That England.

Just as importantly, you are running a 2AD engine, which is rumoured to have problems (lol) with build up of black sooty deposits.....why exacerbate said situation....? Seems like giving somebody with diarrhoea a sandwich with crushed laxatives tae me...

It took Charlie a wee while to be converted, and nobody has said "it makes the car run a lot better"....so I will....mine is a Lindop Chipped SR180, AND RAN LIKE A PILE OF MERD WHEN I TRIED £20.00 WORTH OF TESCO WEE-WEE.

Last comment....Big Kev :fox:

Seems like giving somebody wiyh diarrhoea a sandwich with crushed laxatives tae me...

Last comment....Big Kev :fox:

laughing.giflaughing.gifyucky.gif

We have had our 2008 XTR diesel for almost a year now and we love it. Would definately recommend. Only issue i have had is a slight knocking sound when on full lock at slow speed, although ive been told this is fairly common and an easy fix. Still under 'approved' warranty so plan on taking it in shortly for its next service and hope they will sort it then.

There is no doubt that the Rav is a cracking car and one I really do like... Why do I walk past the Jag every day and jump in it ...................

My rather vociferous points at the beginning of the thread show My dissapointment in what should have been Our ideal second car.. Toyota have been outstanding though and this is one of the main reasons that the next car will be a new SR...

Back to that fuel issue.. Below is a copied quote from another thread

Quote..

Vpower diesel is about 5 pence a litre more than ordinary diesel so X say 60 litres that's 3 quid..

My regular commute from Scotlandshire to the Midlands 360 miles. Same rout taken each and every time .. Same 75 MPH on all motorway sections on cruise control. All A and B roads driven carefully changing gear nice and early keeping revs low ..

Car .. 2006 T180 with New 3/4 engine . Injectors and EGR and DPF all changed 5 to 6 thousand miles ago.. Fitted with Lindop Toyota tuning box set at default position 6.

The trip taken with tank brimmed at the Forth Road Bridge..

Then Re filled near to Jct 7 M5.

Using Vpower.. Trip complete Remaining range 135 miles and just over the quarter tank on the fuel gauge needle..

Using ASDA Diesel Same trip same conditions same driving style.. Trip complete. Remaining Range 65 miles near to empty on the fuel gauge needle....

So thats a difference of 70 miles extra using Shell Vpower Diesel... Lets say the car does 40 to a gallon on a steady long run like this and diesel is £6.50 a gallon....................... Well You do the sums

Unquote

Now lets be honest here I believe I am regarded as bieng honest and frank in My opinions ( Sorry ) So if Vpower was crap I would say so but it more than pays for the initial outlay at the pump by how much is left in the tank after My aforementioned commute. All physics ect ect You cannot argue with the figures............

Charlie Farlie wrote

My rather vociferous points at the beginning of the thread show My dissapointment in what should have been Our ideal second car.. Toyota have been outstanding though and this is one of the main reasons that the next car will be a new SR...

Is this an official announcement Charlie,or have i missed the thread saying you are still staying with a Rav :huh:

Looks a very neat package but I doubt those low profile tyres will do much for it's capability in snow.

I just couldn't own a car with a name that sounds like 'Toe Rag' though :rolleyes:

I think this fuel thing will be argued until the cows come home.

I run mine on V power, nearly all of the time only because it runs and feels slightly better and I like that. (but my old 4.3 ran like a 3 legged dog on BP Ultimate.)

I too have all my figures and actually normal "Shell Fuel Save" comes out slightly better mpg wise than Vpower. However, I can possibly see reasons for that. e.g. most of the normal diesel fills were in the summer, when the vehicle will do better anyway. Or maybe I grow a couple of devil's horns on V Power, because it feels better.

Although, I have done runs similar to Charlie, (Brum -> Inverness) and normal diesel still slightly better (but not much). Maybe vehicle slightly less loaded on the way back (try getting "super" diesel anywhere North of Sterling to fill up with to come back).

This is the point. Peoples driving styles, the weather conditions at the time, all vary so much that you can never get controlled conditions to get real definitive data. A lot of data statisitically analysed over a long period can help, but most people don't or can't run their "experiments" for that long.

I still feel (and it is only a feeling) that the higher cetane fuels, will run smoother (and importantly cleaner!), but will have a lower calorific value (so slightly less mpg), than the lower cetane ones.

If Charlie was up for it, I'd be interested to see what would happen on Normal Shell (not super market, e.g. Asda) compared with V power.

What we really should do, would be to take the RAV off Charlie, fill it up with one or the other and not tell him. Then see what happens. Not having a go at Charlie, but we can all get influenced subconciously, knowing what fuel we are using at the time, which may affect the way we drive at the time.

There were no mpg gains in my rav using super fuels......maybe the engine sounded quiter, but nothing noticable in the mpg department, I ran super fuels for 2 months.....now I just use sainsburys normal stuff..... Also ran super petrol in a golf no mpg gains, just thought the engine sounded quiter???....that just gets sainsburys best also....:D

Charlie Farlie wrote

Is this an official announcement Charlie,or have i missed the thread saying you are still staying with a Rav :huh:

Yes Paul the new SR is or will be the weapon of choice.. To buy any other car is just cutting off My own nose to spite My own face ??

The Rav is a great long distance tool that gives Us everything We want with very sensible running costs.. Add a relatively high level of toys and an after-market tilt and slide electric sunroof and that will do... I just hope that I / We don't have quite so many issues with the next one. But If issues arise I feel confident that Toyota will step up and fix them ...

Nice one Charlie :thumbsup:

Lovely looking car i think.

Just hope all is well with the one you get.

Nice one Charlie :thumbsup:

Lovely looking car i think.

Just hope all is well with the one you get.

Thanks Paul .. :thumbsup: