Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Installing The New Head Unit On Saturday Some Questions

Scorpion-gb

Okay, all the parts are here ready to fit the Pioneer head unit, fillers, Toyota to ISO connector, Ipod adaptor cable, etc, etc.

Reading through the installation instructions it says I have to splice a wire into the 'Vehicle injection computer' so that the navigation system knows what speed I'm doing and how far I've travelled!!!!! It also says, 'failure to do this will increase errors in location display'. No !Removed! way I'm I touching /splicing into what I assume is the ECU.

Why on earth would you have to do that, surely your position and speed are calculated by satellites, hence GPS? Has anyone else come across anything as bizarre as this?

Also, I have no intention of watching a DVD on the move (or any other time come to think of it), so will not attaching the wire from the head unit to the 'handbrake on' wiring have any other detrimental effect?

Any advice greatfully accepted! :thumbsup:

Okay, all the parts are here ready to fit the Pioneer head unit, fillers, Toyota to ISO connector, Ipod adaptor cable, etc, etc.

Reading through the installation instructions it says I have to splice a wire into the 'Vehicle injection computer' so that the navigation system knows what speed I'm doing and how far I've travelled!!!!! It also says, 'failure to do this will increase errors in location display'. No !Removed! way I'm I touching /splicing into what I assume is the ECU.

Why on earth would you have to do that, surely your position and speed are calculated by satellites, hence GPS? Has anyone else come across anything as bizarre as this?

Also, I have no intention of watching a DVD on the move (or any other time come to think of it), so will not attaching the wire from the head unit to the 'handbrake on' wiring have any other detrimental effect?

Any advice greatfully accepted! :thumbsup:

tell us the wire it is referring to for the "injection computer" - connector and pin number. I have posted an article with some pin outs which schm added his technical excellence to for better explanation - they will be somewhere here (not sure exactly where but a search will find it) - I suspect it may actually be referring to the VSP signal (as mentioned in a previous post and its use alongside the GPS for vehicle location determination)

the DVD wiring thing to the handbrake - chances are that it wants a wire grounded to allow a DVD to be watched, so if you leave it floating, you cannot watch a DVD, moving or otherwise. FWIW, I found it too much hassle to try and find a handbrake activiated ground and I just wired that to a switch I fitted to one of the blanks and left it off by default so no DVD, and when on the odd occasion I DID watch a DVD when parked up (maybe 3 or 4 time max), just flicked the switch to ground the wire :thumbsup:

Good Luck!

No idea where it wants the speed detection wire attaching to mate, there's just a crappy little drawing in the manual, will need to do some more research (thought this was going to be an easy install!)

DVD wire should be attached to to the power supply side of the handbrake switch according to the instructions.

There's also a wire for 'reversal signal input' so that the navigation system knows if the car is moving forwards or backwards!!!

No idea where it wants the speed detection wire attaching to mate, there's just a crappy little drawing in the manual, will need to do some more research (thought this was going to be an easy install!)

DVD wire should be attached to to the power supply side of the handbrake switch according to the instructions.

There's also a wire for 'reversal signal input' so that the navigation system knows if the car is moving forwards or backwards!!!

Speed Detection - sounds to me that you connect that wire to the VSP signal that I am sure will be present somewhere on the Radio Wiring Loom (as the OEM HU has the On-Board Computer on it, it must have that info to beable to display avergae speed, economy, etc, I would expect)

Here is a link to the wiring info - it does not have all the pins identified - maybe someone could point out the relevant one as I don;t have my RAV4.2 Manual installed on this PC to look.

Ref DVD - so rather then grounding it, you need to provide a +12V so you can watch a DVD :)

Reverse signal is pretty normal - that way it knows if you are reversing or not - very relevant for navigation instructions as if you went backwards and the nav system did not know, it would assume you have turned round and then the route would be recalculated as you are now pointing in the opposite direction. It DOES make sense :thumbsup:

Have Fun!

I think it's asking for the speed pulse signal which it needs in case you lose your GPS signal and it calculates your position by speed/distance travelled.

The reverse connection is not important.

What car are you fitting the unit into? Let me know or PM me and ill tell you the exact wire it needs to be connected to its an easy job so dont worry too much

To be honest even if you don't connect them the navigation will work

As for the DVD by law it needs to be fitted to stop you from watching while driving. But you can fit it on a switch as someone has suggested on one of the posts

The speed detect wire is for dead reckoning. The reverse wire is for in case you get lost reversing into a parking space. The handbrake wire might possibly unlock both the DVD and the extended navigation control.

At least two of the three are available at the back of the radio, perhaps not the handbrake.

See page 11 and 12.

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7B8B1CC2A2-5221-4C77-B4E5-211AE648614F%7D/TNS%20200%20(RHD).pdf

I think it's asking for the speed pulse signal which it needs in case you lose your GPS signal and it calculates your position by speed/distance travelled.

What car are you fitting the unit into? Let me know or PM me and ill tell you the exact wire it needs to be connected to its an easy job so dont worry too much

As for the DVD by law it needs to be fitted to stop you from watching while driving. But you can fit it on a switch as someone has suggested on one of the posts

As already stated the speed sensor in most models should be already in the loom for the head unit, with it connected the gps will be accurately faster to allocate vehicle speed on the map.

Re reverse signal , it should give a signal to change over to view from main screen to a reverse camera if installed, don't think the gps will require a reversing signal!! :thumbsup:

As already stated the speed sensor in most models should be already in the loom for the head unit, with it connected the gps will be accurately faster to allocate vehicle speed on the map.

Re reverse signal , it should give a signal to change over to view from main screen to a reverse camera if installed, don't think the gps will require a reversing signal!! :thumbsup:

GPS does not, but SAT NAV ROUTING can benefit!!! (as already explained :rolleyes: )

Gentlemen, my thanks to you all, once again, for your invaluable assistance!

Yaris 781, I'm fitting the head unit into the Rav, model details in my profile.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

If its a 4.2 then it's a violet and white wire you need to splice into its on the 18 pin connector

If you turn connector with the tab facing you its the 3rd position from left on bottom row. If you get stuck let me know and I'll scan a wiring diagram

Hope that helps

Thanks Yaris but ...............

18 pin? Excuse my numbness but I've taken a picture of the Toyota to ISO connector I bought and there doesn't appear to be an 18 pin plug.

The first picture is of the adaptor linked to the Pioneer ISO cable. The second shows what I assume is a 10 pin plug and the third shows a 4 pin plug. Am I making it more complicated than I should?

Pioneer006.jpg

Pioneer002.jpg

Pioneer003.jpg

Cheers!

hi. the 18 pin connector was used on the oem head unit and probanly just lying unconnected now. pin 16 is the vehicle speed signal. click on the link i posted in one of my replies and you will see a complete pin out. :thumbsup:

hi. the 18 pin connector was used on the oem head unit and probanly just lying unconnected now. pin 16 is the vehicle speed signal. click on the link i posted in one of my replies and you will see a complete pin out. :thumbsup:

as Hoovie said its the connector that was on the original head unit

Okay folks, the head unit is fitted and working! Took about 2 hours, but I was taking my time as I didn't want to make any mistakes.

Many, many, thanks for all the advice given above as it proved invaluable.

I will post a guide to the installation later on in the hope that it may aid anyone else who wants to fit a new head unit.

Did you manage to find the speed pulse signal etc wires?

I did mate, thanks to Hoovies diagrams in post #4, it was pin number 16 on the 18 pin connector.

Thank you for your help.

I did mate, thanks to Hoovies diagrams in post #4, it was pin number 16 on the 18 pin connector.

Thank you for your help.

That's brilliant. It's easier with diagram. Glad it's all done