Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Water Pump Leak Covered By Warranty?

_flip_

Hi guys.

I have a 2009 2.2d Verso SR. I am still in my warranty period, just, as start date was 7th march 09.

Just had my 3rd service and told that water pump is leaking and needs replacing and a large cost associated!

I would like to know whether this kind of thing should actually be covered under warranty or if it's normal for it not to be (and why in that case)?

I'd hate to think that a main dealer would be intentionally trying to rip me off by making me pay when I didn't need to - but does this sort of thing happen?

I am going to phone and ask about this (now that I've realised it!) - but wanted to get a feel for what's happened with others...

Thanks for any replies guys!

Flip.

I recon that it should be covered under warranty! Why not drop an email to Toyota customer services? Forum members like "Ormi" and "DevonAygo" or Anchs could have the answer to this one...

Anything diagnosed by the dealer prior to the warranty running out will still be covered if the warranty subsequently runs out and the dealer can't get the car booked in to do the work. You have to make sure your dealer has reported it to Toyota GB.

P.S You don't work for a Sunday newspaper do you? :lol:

How odd, a car in warranty has an issue and the dealer tells the customer the price. I would be asking them on the spot why they have actually flagged this and not just replaced it.

Presuming the car has done less than 30k?

Ha! No, not going for a scoop!

Thanks for replies - I will phone them tomorrow and question it. I have it in writing from the service that the water pump is leaking, and I've double checked that I am still in warranty (albeit for 2 weeks).

I just worry that they will just front it and say its not covered for some reason, and then I don't know how I should escalate that....

And to latest question - yep, I've only done 20k miles.

Honeybear1980 had the water pump changed on their 58' 2.2d SR that was just out of warranty, so be strong! Wear and Tear on a water pump will be an interesting conversation if its a similiar price to the £650 mentioned.

I think the dealers like to tell people these need changing if the coolant level is down a bit, the pump "leaks". Our Verso and old Corolla both got this advice once out of warranty and both ran for 2+ yrs and the coolant didn't disappear. It just needed a little top up at each service.

The dealer sounds like he's pulling a right fast one here! If they give you the run around then its staight on the blower to customer sevices!... Hope you get it sorted mate and money back!!!!....

Ok... I called this morning and said I'd checked and was still in warranty and the guy said yep that's fine, it will be done under warranty! I asked was he sure because why was I given a cost in that case - and he said the other guy 'doesnt really know our warranty procedures that well'..... Riiiiight.

He said the car would need to go in before it ran out to be covered - which I think is not right as it was identified already! But I'm booked in anyway so shouldn't be a hassle.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Result!!!... Nice one mate. He !Removed! knew I bet!!!!....

Yeah - it really is bad that we still have to be on our toes, even with 'reputable' main dealers with this type of stuff...

Glad your sorted, very worrying though, some people would just pay.

Why would the dealer do this? Doesn't he get reimbursed by Mr T for any warranty work he does?

Its either someone who is totally clueless on the service desk which is unlikely, or the dealer wants the work, bad.

Labour rates are lower on warranty work and they would make no profit on the parts, either way i'm glad this isnt my local dealer. Sorry Flip ;)

Well done Lookers on a fantastic job!!! :arrgg-matey: :doctor:

Must make bonus for Feb, whatever the cost to our customers spiteful.gifbangin.gif

Dam it some fecking Toc'ers tipped the bloke off, take that Mr Dealer bash.gif

My car, a 2.2D4D Verso, 4 Years old, was diagnosed with a leaking water pump @ the 80,000 mile service and I was quoted in the region of £500 for a replacement. I wasn't happy and took it to a different Toyota garage nearer home. They told me it could be done under an extended warranty as there were issues with the pump in general. They replaced it FOC but rang me a week later to say that Toyota had declined to pay the full cost and I had to pay £190. They also cleaned out the EGR for only! £140. In the event 2000 miles down the road the trio of lights came on resulting in an engine replacement. I had no sign of excessive oil use or head gasket failure but wonder if the pump failures could be connected to over pressurisation of the coolant system? The engine was replaced FOC with no argument. Does anyone think it would be a bit cheeky to try and claim back the cost of cleaning the valve and, perhaps, the pump?

Does anyone think it would be a bit cheeky to try and claim back the cost of cleaning the valve and, perhaps, the pump?

If you dont ask you dont get, water pump is a bit cheeky as its not related to the engine issue but the blocked EGR is.

@ Flip

Funny one this (not laughing mind) but I got my water pump replaced (had to pay most of the cost myself, car under 4 years old but out of warranty) at the same dealership as you.

They told me it was very rare (couldn't think of a time in the last few years) that they have had to replace a water pump on a car of my age / mileage. Then you turn up a few days later for the same issue on a newer car with less miles!

Hmmmm.....

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone, Newbie member to this forum, just had a bad day banging head against brick wall ie talking to Toyota dealer & Toyota customer services!!

My tale of woe, its my wife car Corolla Verso 2.2D SR 57 reg bought new from dealer serviced and maintained. 2009 service water pump replaced under warranty (16000 miles on clock) fast forward to 2012 service & Mot, the water pump had failed again (38000 miles on clock) this time cost me £500 to replace!!

Welcome to TOC Ian.

I'm not sure how long the extended warranty on the water pump is, it might be worth finding that out first! Depending on that result, you may be able to get Toyota to agree a 'goodwill gesture' as they've done that in the past.

Good luck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links