Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My First 2008 Xtr Diesel - First Impressions

Fizzbang

Well, been driving it a few days now and find it a damn fine car.

It's diesel engine is very evident in the first few gears, but once you are up into the higher gears it purrs along.

Seems to pull well in the higher gears too, allowing a nice acceleration when needed.

I found the ride on motorways to be bouncier than i expected after owning my avensis.

The mpg seems to be sitting on the 50 mark..so i have no idea how correct or accurate that is untill a little while.overall, very nice car..and i am very happy so far.

Got a black 57 plate diesel myself 18 months ago. It's an absolute delight to drive- especially after driving vans/landrovers the rest of the time!

I suppose it's what your used to but it's so refined to me, I drive it with respect and it performs admirably. Just changed the oil/filter and it's even smoother now!

Stick to the service schedule and treat it well and you'll reap the rewards!

Dave

Mine is the year later 2009, you can see from my signature what to expect, That is the average over three years, 31k miles, do not believe what it tells you as it is telling you porkies, only believe a brim to brim test.

Gus

To re set the average MPG press the wee sticky out button on the clock panel until You reach average MPG then press it again and hold it in till the numbers all go to zeros ... Trust Me 50 MPG is not on with the diesel engine !!

I think the On board computers on Toyotas have tended to be quite 'optimistic' :) My own one is actually spot on but not sure if that is due to finally getting it finally sorted in the latest models or if I was lucky!

My wife's RAV seems quite accurate on the average fuel calculation. Last fill up it said 29 mpg and that was exactly the brim to brim calculated figure. It's a 2007 petrol, so I think that is very good.

David

Exact same car as us - we're very happy with it too. Says 43mph on trip computer, and in reality it fairly accurate at around the 41 mpg mark which aint bad for the town driving shes doing.

Mine usually says 45-46mpg when in fact I works out to be more like 34-35mpg.

Best ever was 56.8mpg on the dash and actuall worked out to 44mpg!!! That was a 300 mile drive to Cornwall at a steady 70mph.

My wifes automatic Rav is disappointing at 32mpg overall.

I'm starting to get a little concerned at the reports of the Automatic diesels economy figures !

32 MPG just sounds way low to Me.. Can the fact that the transmission is auto make that much difference ? Surely not...

What are Owners of the later 150 BHP engines with manual trans getting ?

My annual mileage is circa 25K so it does make quite an impact.. I was thinking about what Hoovie was saying about His one not doing great mileage...

Blimey. My Jag with over twice the power does 42 on the motorway and 35 / 37 round the houses and that's a 3.0 V6 with two turbo s..

Was looking at a Mates brand new Mitsubishi Shogun today.. The new Shogun is a hell of a tool. 3.2 engine. Fit and finish is superb. Its a top of the range one with Ivory leather and Fosgate HI fI. Biggest sunroof I've ever seen on a car and a ruddy great wheel bolted to the back door.. Massive screen Sat nav.... He is getting 35 MPG round local driving..

Autos are very refined but not good on fuel Charlie. Its a combination of the box and the D-CATsystem.

My manual will do 40 knocking about in summer and less (35ish) in winter. These are very short trips that get nowhere near normal temp. If I go up to Kevs in the north pole, it will do 40 at 75-80 or if I back it off and set the cruise to just under 70 it will do 45-47. That is calculated brim to brim. The trip meter is accurate on long trips but tends to read a bit under on short trips (e.g. it does better than the trip meter shows)

Not just my wife's, my friend has got the same car, same age and his mpg is slightly lower. And yes my 3.0ltre diesel Jag is better!!

I am going for max economy on my current tank of diesel to see what can be achieved for the kind of routes I travel.

Currently I have done about 275 miles and am averaging 34.5mpg. Given Of those miles I am typically cruising at about 50 mph when the limit is 60 and driving like I am wearing a trilby and NO traffic delays on those miles and no significant conurbations, I would be hard pushed to ever better 35mpg in any circumstances.

Well, been driving it a few days now and find it a damn fine car.

It's diesel engine is very evident in the first few gears, but once you are up into the higher gears it purrs along.

Seems to pull well in the higher gears too, allowing a nice acceleration when needed.

I found the ride on motorways to be bouncier than i expected after owning my avensis.

The mpg seems to be sitting on the 50 mark..so i have no idea how correct or accurate that is untill a little while.overall, very nice car..and i am very happy so far.

Can't speak for the 4.3 but the petrol 4.2 I had, which was a lovely car, told shocking porkies on the dashboard. Indicated 40 = actual 32 in trilby hat mode - nice description, that :thumbsup: - but when you have two prolapsed discs, what price comfort, eh? Luvverly driving seat even if it was only fabric covered

Mike D

I think the On board computers on Toyotas have tended to be quite 'optimistic' smile.png My own one is actually spot on but not sure if that is due to finally getting it finally sorted in the latest models or if I was lucky!

The Avensis i'm running is also spot on when comparing to the manual calculation, the Verso was very optimistic the Yaris is showing less than the actual value. Presumably the new cars must have a new system.

I think the On board computers on Toyotas have tended to be quite 'optimistic' smile.png My own one is actually spot on but not sure if that is due to finally getting it finally sorted in the latest models or if I was lucky!
The Avensis i'm running is also spot on when comparing to the manual calculation, the Verso was very optimistic the Yaris is showing less than the actual value. Presumably the new cars must have a new system.

The read out on my Verso is accurate (currently on 53mpg overall) :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links