Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Page Scrolling Problems

Notebook

Hi

Still having problems with the page scrolling speed - anyone found the solution?

Thanks

Hi

Still having problems with the page scrolling speed - anyone found the solution?

Thanks

Me too Noterz....just decided to put up with it without complaining coz will just be told to "email somebody...."

Big Kev

Yep! its pretty useless, and can we have the MOSTLY used emoticons at the bottom of the post page and not a collection of ones that no-one uses Please :thumbsup: Stew

yes a slow scrolling speed is from my side, as well

agree with STEW re duty emotions

Yep same here still.

Even replying freezes up for a while :mellow:

Laptop, no problem.

Desktop - horrible.

Still hate the depressing and overwhelming black .

Use of emoticons rubbish.

Laptop, no problem.

Desktop - horrible.

Still hate the depressing and overwhelming black .

Use of emoticons rubbish.

That's Oor Davrav....beatin' about the bush....never gets t'point....I will now use an ecotimon from below.... :euro: ....it means "euro"....WTFF ?

Layout and scrolling has been ******* since the improvements...........................................................................

Thats why the forum is quiet.. I for one wont be adding My coin to the tray next time around .......................

Yeh, slow & jerky. Generally user-UNfriendly. Consequently I don't visit as often as I used to.

And what colour blind fool decided that all this black background was a good idea?? Friggin' nightmare to correct/edit anything!!

Mine must have special powers piped in from the owners club. It works fine.

I did have some problems but I went to the Control Panel then the Power Settings and set it to Maximum Performance.

It works really well now. The only exception is that the cursor doesn't always move which is a pain.

I personally wouldn't have chosen black/grey colour scheme but it is THE most modern looking forum I have come across - some would pay a fortune for a carbon fibre gear knob and you have it on a forum page. You've got some word processing abilities.

I have turned on the compatibility settings so the broken page is grey (green circle) and turn off the pop up blocker so there is no red symbol (yellow circle) - do this by clicking on them.

It took me a little while to sort it out AND I got to keep my dummy and my blanket.

Pagesettings.jpg

Well Don i have clicked on the green circled tab and the scrolling is a lot better now :thumbsup:

But i am still having to wait a while to scroll whe i open a post up??

I was trying to keep out of this, but if Anch's method doesn't work for you, what about posting a very short summary of which operating system and browser you are using?

We then might be able to spot a pattern as to what does or doesn't work. That's half way to fixing it, rather than just whining about it.

99% of you will be running windows. I know you'll say oh windows 7 and I know you'll possibly be getting auto-updates, but to find the exact version use start menu -> run and type "winver" in the box and run it.

The browser version can usually be found via help -> about. I generally don't get any problems with my usual setup. Anyway as an example:

Company laptop:

XP Pro (Version 5.1) Service pack 3

FireFox 10.0.2 -> works fine

IE6 6.0.2900.5512 -> doesn't work

(Yes, I know IE and the OS are old, but company systems don't support newer versions of IE yet)

Personal laptop (running under virtualisation):

win2000 (Version 5.0) Service Pack 4

IE6 6.0.2800.1106 SP1 -> doesn't work

(It's running this for a reason)

Personal Laptop

Linux Debian Testing wheezy

Linux 3.2.0-1-amd64

Iceweasel 10.0.2 -> works fine

GNOME web browser 3.2.1 -> works fine

Could do the same thing if you are on a tablet (and I don't mean taking medication, but I do wonder about some of you :D), or a phone.

As for smilies, I usually find, if you are using the common ones and can remember what they are called, it is often quicker just to type them directly. e.g. for the "thumbsups" :thumbsup: smiley just type what's in the box below:

i.e. the smilie name usually has a colon before and after it. Some don't have that. e.g:

smile :)

broad smile :D

laugh out loud :lol:

happy birthday :happybday:

are:

:)
:D

Just type them into your text like that and they will appear as smilies in the post.

If you can remember them, it's a lot faster, IMHO.

Mine must have special powers piped in from the owners club. It works fine.

I did have some problems but I went to the Control Panel then the Power Settings and set it to Maximum Performance.

It works really well now. The only exception is that the cursor doesn't always move which is a pain.

I personally wouldn't have chosen black/grey colour scheme but it is THE most modern looking forum I have come across - some would pay a fortune for a carbon fibre gear knob and you have it on a forum page. You've got some word processing abilities.

I have turned on the compatibility settings so the broken page is grey (green circle) and turn off the pop up blocker so there is no red symbol (yellow circle) - do this by clicking on them.

It took me a little while to sort it out AND I got to keep my dummy and my blanket.

Pagesettings.jpg

I'm a simple soul. I fail to understand the logic behind the changes. THE OLD FORUM WORKED JUST FINE!!!

I'm a simple soul. I fail to understand the logic behind the changes. THE OLD FORUM WORKED JUST FINE!!!

I have to agree with that one.The sexiest, funkiest, best looking forum in the world is pointless if the users start to disappear.Function before Form!

The Forum is hard to use and unpleasant in its colours and layout.. Members are not posting so often including Me.... Page scrolling is a !Removed! joke so is loosing posts when trying to actually post..

I always add the few quid to support ant Forum I visit often.. Wont be doing so again here on this Forum.. In fact It irritates Me personaly that much I will not be posting very much in the future..

Progress that is !!

I was trying to keep out of this, but if Anch's method doesn't work for you, what about posting a very short summary of which operating system and browser you are using?

We then might be able to spot a pattern as to what does or doesn't work. That's half way to fixing it, rather than just whining about it.

99% of you will be running windows. I know you'll say oh windows 7 and I know you'll possibly be getting auto-updates, but to find the exact version use start menu -> run and type "winver" in the box and run it.

The browser version can usually be found via help -> about. I generally don't get any problems with my usual setup. Anyway as an example:

Company laptop:

XP Pro (Version 5.1) Service pack 3

IE6 6.0.2900.5512 -> doesn't work

(Yes, I know IE and the OS are old, but company systems don't support newer versions of IE yet)

Personal laptop (running under virtualisation):

win2000 (Version 5.0) Service Pack 4

IE6 6.0.2800.1106 SP1 -> doesn't work

(It's running this for a reason)

Personal Laptop

Linux Debian Testing wheezy

Linux 3.2.0-1-amd64

Iceweasel 10.0.2 -> works fine

GNOME web browser 3.2.1 -> works fine

Could do the same thing if you are on a tablet (and I don't mean taking medication, but I do wonder about some of you :D), or a phone.

As for smilies, I usually find, if you are using the common ones and can remember what they are called, it is often quicker just to type them directly. e.g. for the "thumbsups" :thumbsup: smiley just type what's in the box below:

i.e. the smilie name usually has a colon before and after it. Some don't have that. e.g:

smile :)

broad smile :D

laugh out loud :lol:

happy birthday :happybday:

are:

:)
:D

Just type them into your text like that and they will appear as smilies in the post.

If you can remember them, it's a lot faster, IMHO.

Can i ask something really stupid? does that work on texts and emails? or is it just this forum :thumbsup: Stew

This may be the kiss of death, but I'm not ( at the moment!!!!!! ) having any problems with access or site performance. For the record I'm using:

Windows 7 version 6.1 ( Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

with two browsers:

Firefox ( personal preference ) 10.0.2

and

IE 9 version 9.0.8112.16421

update version 9.0.5

With Firefox I'm using Adblock+ which seems to make all sites work a bit quicker.

The machine is a home built desktop.

On the Laptop I'm just running IE 9 ( same version as above ) and it works fine - but I really only use it when I'm away from home so don't have a vast experience of it.

To add a little further confusion my ISP is BT and I'm getting 8.28 Mbps download and 0.87 Mbps upload.

" Can i ask something really stupid? does that work on texts and emails? or is it just this forum :thumbsup: Stew"

Just the forum Stew. Probably works the same on other sites/forums that have emoticons available.

Well folks i rarely post anything,i just read until i either can / can't find the answer.

Or i start a new / another thread on what i want to find out.

If some kind member gives me the answer to my queery....great.....& cheers

:thumbsup:

But i am on Vista !,my desktop in a refurbished hand me down,at least 6 years old.....its gets me by

And i am on no more than 1.5 meg from talk talk :angry: ( changing this year )

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium version 6.1

I've noticed comments about the new lay-out and how slow it's been from day 1

But I've had no problem with it at all until this eve. Now I'm moaning too.

Could not log on at first, then very slow, then freeze. Had to close the page and log in again.

I'm being messed about with whilst doing this post too, the curser goes walkies and i have to wait for it to come back.

Best end here, quick!

I'm not privvy to the reason the forum design was changed. When I first joined in 2006 it was blue - almost like a Ford advert if you like. The features were very limited and they updated it to the red colour scheme we had previously. When that happened there was uproar - "this is horrible, we can't find this or that" etc etc.

I suspect very strongly that the reason for changing it this time is to make it fully compatible with this lot of tosh at the bottom of the page - all these tweeting and blogging stuff. It also has more editing functionality and bigger file uploading auto save whatever that is. So you get a forum that is bang up to date with modern media.

As for the colours, well you can please all of the people some of the time etc but a colour is a colour and I sometimes look at a computer desk top and think yuk but that is there choice. When running the default colour in Vista, my TOC pages are black letters on very pale grey background and quoted posts are mid grey. If I reply to a topic the letters are white or very pale grey on black. Does anybody see something different? They are just colours/shades - ignore them and get on with it. The emoticons all come up on one page if you open up the options.

The scrolling speed on mine is as fast as any other forum or web page so I would suggest that it is something to do with your browser or computer settings. I think anyone joining from another forum will appreciate how modern it is. Steve did ask for any problems to be emailed to him so he could address them but we seem to settle on these bespoke little ranting topics so don't expect anything to change. My only snag is that I lose the cursor from time to time but it isn't life threatening so I just put up with it and play hunt the cursor.

You are correct about not being able to please everyone about colour schemes, but there are quite a few forums around where a member can select between different styles and colour schemes - that can be quite significant if a user has difficulties of vision.

This very forum has two totally different styles - the mobile version of TOC has a TOTALLY different colour scheme to the desktop version (and IMO is much nicer to read), but that not available to the typical PC user unless they want to delve into recoding the browser (I did that with Firefox to try the mobile version on the PC but I prefer to use Opera)

You say that this is the most modern looking forum around - shame it has reverted to the Henry Ford 'any colour you like, long as it is black' way of operating of 100 years ago.

" Can i ask something really stupid? does that work on texts and emails? or is it just this forum :thumbsup: Stew"

Just the forum Stew. Probably works the same on other sites/forums that have emoticons available.

Worth mentioning that there is no real standard in the implemention of these emoticons, other then they do tend to start with the colon ( : )

I use visit two key forums regularly and the common icons can vary:

:) is the same - : ) - but this is often : - ) (on Android phones for example)

:thumbsup: can be : thumbsup: or it can be : thumb:

:yes: is : yes: here but on my other forum is is : nod:

(I did type some mor stuff, but the forum just lost it :( )

Worth mentioning that there is no real standard in the implemention of these emoticons, other then they do tend to start with the colon ( : )

I use visit two key forums regularly and the common icons can vary:

:) is the same - : ) - but this is often : - ) (on Android phones for example)

:thumbsup: can be : thumbsup: or it can be : thumb:

:yes: is : yes: here but on my other forum is is : nod:

(I did type some mor stuff, but the forum just lost it :( )

Bearing in mind my complete ignorance of things computer, When i did the birthday list, i did it on "word" then copied it, then pasted into the reply box i am using now, I ended up with very dark grey writing on a black background, and so when i had to add or edit names i could not see what i was do'ing, however when i posted everything turned out normal but it was a real PITA :unsure: Stew

PS every so often my cursor goes galloping backwards thru my text, and typing words in search boxes also appear backwards, re-starting my computer usually cures it, any ideas.. wetS

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links