Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Installing Tpms System

Hoovie

Introduction:

A Full-Information TMPS System allows you to constantly be informed of Tyre Pressures rather then - at best - checking them once a week, if that (truth be told for most people). Having this proactive info means you are much more likely to be running the right pressures (so improved safety and economy) and also catch a puncture and deal with it before it is too late and your tyre is no longer repairable.

Complexity:

Sensor Fitting - Need to be fitted by a Tyre Fitting Company

Display - Can be fitted without tools if using as supplied - Velcro to secure and Accessory plug to power. I hardwired, so used soldering Iron, shrink tubing and electrical tape.

Complexity - None, if installed as supplied; Medium if installed as I did.

General - This kit can be used on any car.

WriteUp:

I fitted a TPMS System on my RAV4.2 a few years ago and really missed it after I sold the RAV4, so when I got myself a 2011 RAV4.3 , this was the first thing on my 'Pimp my RAV' list of things to do :thumbsup:

In the UK, TPMS was fitted to the T180 and SR180 RAV4.3 models but not on any other models, and even on those two models it is a very basic warning system. I fitted a much more informative system as will be seen :)

This is the kit I got .....

TMPS-Box.jpg

It is exactly the same as the TyreSure TPMS kit I had on my RAV4.2 but branded with another name and as I was very pleased with that one, decided to go for same type again.

What you get in the box is:

Sensors and Display

TPMS-Sensors.jpg

The Sensors are pre-programmed to the display and the 4 positions in the display

Valves and Cigar Lighter power lead

TPMS-Valves.jpg

The unit uses a mini-USB power connection but importantly it supplies a +12V signal to the Display Receiver rather then a typical mini-USB +5V power, so care should be taken not to plug in something like a phone to charge without realising (the manual does make a clear point of it, but maybe easy to forget over time or a new driver uses the car)

Manual

TPMS-Manual.jpg

The Manual is actually very good and explains how to reprogram the sensors after a tire rotation or sensor replacement, and also explains in detail how to hard-wire the power (which I did)

So that is the Kit.

I purchased from Amazon.com at a then unit cost of $139 (£92.86). The unit on Amazon today has gone down to $108. That is less then half the price of the Tyresure unit!

With international shipping and import duty deposit, the total cost was around $180 (£118.88 )

Not all wheels can be fitted with Sensors due to their internal design shape, but the wheels I was fitting them to were the 18" RAV4 T180 Wheels, which usually have OEM Sensors anyway, so I was confident they would fit.

I simply had to have the Tire Company drop the tires off the Rims to fit the sensors, and then refit the tire and rebalance the wheel.

I also got them to fit the wheels to the RAV4 in replacement to my existing wheels as the TPMS set were fitted with Continental Cross Contact Winter Tires. Total charge including 20% Tax was £48 ($72) for the fitting.

Shiny Winter Wheels with TPMS now fitted to a very Dirty RAV4 SR ....

RAV43-2011SR-WinterWheels2.jpg

:eek:

Positioning of the Receiver is a bit limiting in choice and I decided on using the gap between the mirror and the windscreen top as it was just the right size and nicely visible from the drivers seat.....

TPMS-Display.jpg

You see the display on the right hand side (UK Car of course :P ) with the tire pressure in PSI

the insets on the left show the Tire Temps (these are in Celsius, but you can select Fahrenheit if you prefer) and below the temp is the Battery Status (not sure how much I would use that option?)

The display requires constant power and I did intend to tap into the roof lighting but despite the great guide on here on RAV4World on removing the roof console, I found it just would not release from the headlining and was concerned about breaking something if I tried any harder. Instead I used the +12V and Neg from the Auto-Dipping mirror as the power usage was so minimal for the display, that would be fine.

I know TPMS is a standard fitment to many cars, but if you don't have TPMS (or maybe want a better system - if allowed to substitute aftermarket for OEM?) then this Orange TPMS unit is great value, especially at the current Amazon.com Price (as of Jan 2012, where the kit has lowered to under £100 delivered)

Fantastic write up Hoovie…

Installing a TPMS display was the first mods I did on our RAV.

Similar unit, but I installed it next to the heated seat switch, in front of the power outlet..

(using the power outlet to feed the TMS display.. )

I also had one fitted to a previous car, and it saved me a few times…

I don't even have a RAV yet and just have loads of these things bookmarked ready for when I do get one . . . knowing my luck the previous owner will have already added every possible gadget and gizmo it is possible to add ;)

knowing my luck the previous owner will have already added every possible gadget and gizmo it is possible to add ;)

I suspect only if previously owned by Hoovie, AKA Pimpmeister :lol:

I don't even have a RAV yet and just have loads of these things bookmarked ready for when I do get one . . . knowing my luck the previous owner will have already added every possible gadget and gizmo it is possible to add ;)

So ye ARE still interested in Charlie's then, Tony....? Fit any more pimpments and it would need a secondary Battery....!!!!!

Ah think as well that Hoovie could be shcm's long lost twin brother, only separated because the first one born was away playing with or pimping their incubator....?

No offence taken I'm sure.....

Big Kev :thumbsup:.....just clocked the phoaty of Hoovie's car.....if he knocked somebody down, they would send him their dry cleaning bill.....!!!!!

Similar unit, but I installed it next to the heated seat switch, in front of the power outlet..

It was after I wrecked an expensive tyre on my HR-V after a puncture and just had no feeling of a deflation, I thought TPMS systems were a good idea and caneasily pay for themselves after just one event!

By the sound of it, you fitted yours in a similar place to where I fitted mine in the RAV4.2 ....

RAV42-TPMS.jpg

Very handy location, but the one thing I don't like about this display is the power connection is so obtrustive. A nice right-angled 3.5mm jack would have been just as good and much neater - but I can live with that one thing with all the benefits it gives :yes:

So ye ARE still interested in Charlie's then, Tony....? Fit any more pimpments and it would need a secondary Battery....!!!!!

Ah think as well that Hoovie could be shcm's long lost twin brother, only separated because the first one born was away playing with or pimping their incubator....?

Big Kev :thumbsup:.....just clocked the phoaty of Hoovie's car.....if he knocked somebody down, they would send him their dry cleaning bill.....!!!!!

Kev - the foaty is from a while ago, when the roads were awfy slippy and the weather was dreich.

RAVII is nice and clean now :thumbsup: this is him just 30 minutes ago .....

RAV-SR-Cleaned.jpg

And as far as being schm's twin, I think it is clear who ended up with the brains (and it ain't me :lol: )

Hubcap Hoovie of the Planet Pimp :driving:

It was after I wrecked an expensive tyre on my HR-V after a puncture and just had no feeling of a deflation, I thought TPMS systems were a good idea and caneasily pay for themselves after just one event!

By the sound of it, you fitted yours in a similar place to where I fitted mine in the RAV4.2 ....

RAV42-TPMS.jpg

Very handy location, but the one thing I don't like about this display is the power connection is so obtrustive. A nice right-angled 3.5mm jack would have been just as good and much neater - but I can live with that one thing with all the benefits it gives :yes:

Kev - the foaty is from a while ago, when the roads were awfy slippy and the weather was dreich.

RAVII is nice and clean now :thumbsup: this is him just 30 minutes ago .....

RAV-SR-Cleaned.jpg

And as far as being schm's twin, I think it is clear who ended up with the brains (and it ain't me :lol: )

Hubcap Hoovie of the Planet Pimp :driving:

noo that IS better......

Aye, The local Mr T's has one in, but it's away being 'Prepped' should be back tomorrow and then I am going to give it a good test on my normal day to day routes, just to see how it handles, and any clue of fuel (although I'm starting to forget about that issue . . . . ), of course if I get the local one then I can pimp away :D . . . until the engine goes probably in 18 months time just after the 7 year warranty expires :shock: . . . . Charlies all the way :thumbsup:

Nah, I'm the thick one. Me brother's IQ (and I don't mean a Toyota) is about 20-30 points higher than mine.

Nice mod anyway. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links