Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Interior Engine Exhaust Tone - Is This Normal

catseye27

Had my 2007 2.2 diesel for over 9 months now. My wife and i absolutely love the car. The selling point for us was the low rear sill which allows our labradors to easily get in and out unaided. Other than an estate could not find any other SUV which came near the requirement so to enjoy all other aspects of the RAV4 is a real bonus.

My only gripe (not the wifes i must say) is the interior engine exhaust tone under acceleration in 1st-5th gears. Is this normal for the RAV4? This becomes more of an issue when towing the caravan as i am unable to use the 6th gear which is much quieter.

Are the newer model RAV4's quieter (2010 onwards). May try one out when i take mine in for it's annual service but worried that there will be such a vast difference in cabin noise that i will not then like the vehicle i have and i certainly would not be able to afford a newer version.

Cheers

catseye27

what about noise insulation as additional option? yes it costs money but ..... or turn radio louder?

in general 1st and 2nd gears are always loud because the engine must to start moving of the car weight and all weights inside as passengers etc. i think the cure is an additional insulation. May be others think wise.

The above is true subject your injection system is in order giving no an engine hummer noise.

regards/Igor

Make sure it has a good quality air filter in it. The proper Toyota one has a layer of fibre mat on one side. Also check the inlet pipes are all installed.

Don't try a post 2009 model unless you are flush because you WILL buy one.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links