Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clicking From Front Wheels... Cv Or Not ? (Backlash Noise)

Gabaunion

Avensis 54 plate diesel

Click from front wheels on pull away and (engine breaking) slow down Getting louder every day.

Not constant clicking when turning.

Simplest way to check the state of your cv joints is to drive on full steering lock. No noise = no problem.

Simplest way to check the state of your cv joints is to drive on full steering lock. No noise = no problem.

No noise on full lock.

Noise only when pulling away, or slowing down with the engine.... ie on and off the throttle in first gear, one click each way.

But it does sound exactly like a cv joint click, just not continuous.

• 3 weeks later...

The wear may be on the inboard CV joint. This wont make a noise which changes on full lock. I would raise the front wheels of the ground together. Hold the wheels and turn them on their spinning axis about 90 degrees back and forth. If you can feel any slop or knock you may be able to narrow the problem down. holding the drive shaft when an assistant moves the wheels in the same way is another method to narrow the problem down. If you are unable to isolate the issue to the drive shafts then there could be a problem in the gearbox differential.

The wear may be on the inboard CV joint. This wont make a noise which changes on full lock. I would raise the front wheels of the ground together. Hold the wheels and turn them on their spinning axis about 90 degrees back and forth. If you can feel any slop or knock you may be able to narrow the problem down. holding the drive shaft when an assistant moves the wheels in the same way is another method to narrow the problem down. If you are unable to isolate the issue to the drive shafts then there could be a problem in the gearbox differential.

Alternatively hearing only 'ONE SINGLE CLICK' generally means that the brake caliper support brackets are missing a pad clip which allows the pad to float and knock against the support bracket.

Alternatively hearing only 'ONE SINGLE CLICK' generally means that the brake caliper support brackets are missing a pad clip which allows the pad to float and knock against the support bracket.

Thankyou.

I am not a mechanic, I dont know what an inboard CV joint is, I assume the inside joint (as it doesn't bend so much with steering?)

I am sure it has nothing to do with the caliper. I am also sure I can feel backlash, but I don't understand the 90 degrees... surely just 1 or 2 degs would be huge....?

There is also a noise that is remarkably similar when the engine moves about ---(when it doesn't want to start and is jumping about) I was thinking an engine mount, but it is a very similar noise.

Thanks again....

Gaba

Get the front up - then hold one of the wheels 'as if it's a steering wheel' - rotate it by up to 90 degrees - rocking it back and forth. You may hear a knocking from the other wheel/gearbox/cv joint/inner cv joint etc.

If all well and good - the engine mount could be the problem. However if it is you should be able to hear the knock on each and every time you blip the throttle and/or change gear and stress the engine.