Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Did You Buy A Toyota?

Gods_gift

Not a problem shcm, I was just interested in your engines oil consumption, being one of the unaffected models, but if its all hush hush? Just makes me wonder why?

No disrespect to you, but I'm just curious, whether the change of oil solved the problem?

Guess i'll/we'll never know, and not wanting to be banned for pushing the issue, I will have to let it drop :D

Good luck with your swim :thumbsup:

Well to answer the original question - why did I buy a Toyota?

Because I'm a smart customer ;)

When I bought my first Toyota I had been browsing and made my first visit to the local Toyota dealership. I had a look at the Yaris which looked so different at that time. I bought it because I thought it was great when I took it on test drive, it looked great, good spec and looked well made, those are the things that made me decide to buy my first Toyota. I found the staff in the dealership to be far better than those in other places. I loved that car and I would say that Toyota had me as a customer back then.

That is why I bought the car I have now, and its my second Toyota.I'm more than happy with it as well. :wub:

Bought a Corolla 1.6 vvti T3 2002 due to the reliabily associated with Toyota, and its still going strong, only issue so far 1 wheel bearing changed. Paint work and alloys still great. (In built Sat Nav was a big plus.)

Bought my RAV4 based on how welll the Corolla has performed, and the fact that my other car couldn't fit my dog in (Alaskan Malamute). Great car to drive and I'll be looking forward to many more years of driving this fantastic car. (minus the runflats!!)

Back to the topic then. I bought the Rav4.2 because my last two 4x4's were Toyota Surfs and both of them were fantastic (but way too thirsty). I also owned a BMW 320 for 7 years and the only things I forked out for were tyres and service items, a fantastic motor that never, ever, let me down.

Hmmmm, I've sort of bucked the trend here, I've sang the praises of Toyota and BMW in the same post! ;)

[

No one seems able or inclined to answer My question as to why the diesel Automatic is so greedy ???????????

Already did just the other day.

The same reason as the T180. Its the D-CAT system. The 5th injector puts neat fuel into the exhaust to clean up emmissions.

[

No one seems able or inclined to answer My question as to why the diesel Automatic is so greedy ???????????

The same reason as the T180. Its the D-CAT system. The 5th injector puts neat fuel into the exhaust to clean up emmissions.

Not a problem shcm, I was just interested in your engines oil consumption, being one of the unaffected models, but if its all hush hush? Just makes me wonder why?

No disrespect to you, but I'm just curious, whether the change of oil solved the problem?

Guess i'll/we'll never know, and not wanting to be banned for pushing the issue, I will have to let it drop :D

Good luck with your swim :thumbsup:

SHCM did not report you for your last ban. I don't want you to keep bringing it up either. You are not banned at the moment but you are on thin ice so just drop it.

If you were a little more pleasant I'm sure you would get an answer about the oil but you're not going to get one when you keep insulting people. It isn't the subject of oil that is getting you blanked it is your attitude.

Right. I can tell you that my oil still hasn't moved off the top mark and still isn't nearly black. I will post a pic and the bulletin when I get chance at my desk top computer.

Ok thanks, Sorry if I offended anyone, I must have a word with myself :D

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I thought it was just harmless banter?

I thought I did ask nicely.....in January? :D

[

The manual trans car can do 40+ the auto does only 32 in Hoovies car ?? So the thing that is supposed to clean up emissions results in putting the fuel consumption into a ridiculous sset of figures ?? Well done Toyota.........

I'm not sure what type of auto gear box the SR has, but if it uses a torque converter, then this will reduce the mpg figures, as there is constant slip in a torque converter, (until it locks up 50mph plus) which is waisted energy. The DSG autos found in VVs etc do not use a torque converter, the use a clutch system, similar to a manual setup, so no slip, 100% transfer of energy.

Charlie has a good point about the manual being able to do say 40mpg and the auto 32mpg I belive, if they use the same engine and d-cat system, them the loss in mpg must be through the auto box?

What type of auto box does the SR have?

Over the last twenty years I have bought Toyotas because I find them to be reliable, reasonably good build quality, sensible servicing and insurance costs, and not too expensive to buy. I wish they still made a 3 door RAV and the model range could do with an update.

David

• Like 1

well i bought my first toyota (73 corolla st) as my rover 2000 expired and fell to bits, and the local toyota dealer had an orange ,2 door , tinted windows , reclining seats with head rests , radio and wooden dashed,18 month old 1973 toyota corolla st available , what 18 year old could resist a bird puller like that one?

that one was so good it was followed by 74 celica,75 carina , 77 carina,83 celica,86 corolla gt,91 corolla gti, 97 rav 4.1 then my current 2 mounts, a 52 plate rav4.2 a 59 plate iq3. and apart from rust on the early ones up to the rav 4.1 and an engine change on the 8th hand ex irish 83 celica , they've all done the job and most went up and over the 100k without a lot of pain or expense.

I bought my Toyota because of their reputation, reliability and after sales service which I believe are the best.

I'm not sure what type of auto gear box the SR has, but if it uses a torque converter, then this will reduce the mpg figures, as there is constant slip in a torque converter, (until it locks up 50mph plus) which is waisted energy. The DSG autos found in VVs etc do not use a torque converter, the use a clutch system, similar to a manual setup, so no slip, 100% transfer of energy.

Charlie has a good point about the manual being able to do say 40mpg and the auto 32mpg I belive, if they use the same engine and d-cat system, them the loss in mpg must be through the auto box?

Transmission on the SR is a six speed conventional with a torque converter. So is the one in My XF which has a 3.0 V6 Twin turbo engine which produces over twice the power and beats the Ravs consumption figures hands down..

Don. I accept the Dcat is different in using a 5th injector but how often is the 5th injector employed ??

I am genuinely interested to hear the answer to this one. As You know Don I was set ready to buy a brand new SR but not if the car cannot get at least reasonably close to the T180s figures.. I also accept Jedis explanation of torque converter slip on moving away.. But the XF does this and still returns far better figures.. Now that is just daft..

Emissions controls are there to limit the crap that comes out of the exhaust.. So it does this by burning more fuel ? The same fuel it is trying to clean up the emissions on ??

Charlie, I did PM you ref Economy and the SR150 and advise you not to base likely economy of an SR on the results of my particular SR and my Lead Foot. I never seem to get great economy on ANY car I drive compared to what other owners achieve (my 1.5DCi Qashqai I averaged 43.9MPG, when other owners claimed to get 60MPG (personally I think 60 is doubtfu, but I expected 50mpg on that car)

Right now, with the Bridgestone tyres back on the vehicle, I am around the 36-37 MPG mark.

Is that enough for you? you have to decide.

Would YOU achieve better with the same Vehicle? Given my own past experience, very likely.

I am now getting close to the official 'Combined' target figure of 39.2 MPG, so I am not expecting to get much higher then the current 37 MPG

As far as Environmental stuff goes, it seems that all the govt figures are based of CO2 and that is anyone talks about, but a major thing about the D-Cat is the way to reduces the other stuff way on down, such as the CO, the HC, NOx , etc. If THOSE were used to determine Road Tax, then everyone would be singing the praises of the D-CAT,

Transmission on the SR is a six speed conventional with a torque converter. So is the one in My XF which has a 3.0 V6 Twin turbo engine which produces over twice the power and beats the Ravs consumption figures hands down..

Don. I accept the Dcat is different in using a 5th injector but how often is the 5th injector employed ??

I am genuinely interested to hear the answer to this one. As You know Don I was set ready to buy a brand new SR but not if the car cannot get at least reasonably close to the T180s figures.. I also accept Jedis explanation of torque converter slip on moving away.. But the XF does this and still returns far better figures.. Now that is just daft..

Emissions controls are there to limit the crap that comes out of the exhaust.. So it does this by burning more fuel ? The same fuel it is trying to clean up the emissions on ??

It may just be down to the fact that the RAV running gear is now quite an old design, certainly older than any JLR kit. Look at some of the new BMW's for example where the official fuel consumption for the autos is better than the manuals - I'm thinking of the new 3 & 5 series cars, especially with diesel engines. Some of that will be down to more clever torque converter design, lock-up clutches, double clutch automated manuals & of course CVT's.

Presumably Toyota will have to offer something competitive on the 4.4 whenever that comes out. It would certainly seem that the new generation of automatics (whatever their core technology) may consign manuals to the history books.......

Chemistry, not my strong point, but believe it goes something like this, but don't ask me to explain:

You inject fuel so the air-fuel ratio in the exhaust becomes rich, which helps purify NOx (nitrogen oxides). That therefore generates active oxygen from the NOx reduction. The active oxygen reacts with the exhaust particulates and then also generates CO2, reducing the particulates.

EGR is also a NOx reduction technique, which also does increase fuel consumption a little.

NOx reduction is important, because NOx generates stuff like smog. Personally, I think we should be responsible and not do things like blanking off EGR valves and at least think a little bit about the environment. People would soon be screaming and shouting if the manufactuer put his engines through certification and then proceeded to blank the thing off in production, with little regard to the regulations.

Charlie, I did PM you ref Economy and the SR150 and advise you not to base likely economy of an SR on the results of my particular SR and my Lead Foot. I never seem to get great economy on ANY car I drive compared to what other owners achieve (my 1.5DCi Qashqai I averaged 43.9MPG, when other owners claimed to get 60MPG (personally I think 60 is doubtfu, but I expected 50mpg on that car)

Right now, with the Bridgestone tyres back on the vehicle, I am around the 36-37 MPG mark.

Is that enough for you? you have to decide.

Would YOU achieve better with the same Vehicle? Given my own past experience, very likely.

I am now getting close to the official 'Combined' target figure of 39.2 MPG, so I am not expecting to get much higher then the current 37 MPG

As far as Environmental stuff goes, it seems that all the govt figures are based of CO2 and that is anyone talks about, but a major thing about the D-Cat is the way to reduces the other stuff way on down, such as the CO, the HC, NOx , etc. If THOSE were used to determine Road Tax, then everyone would be singing the praises of the D-CAT,

Sorry Mate I cannot recall that PM ?? I was basing My assumptions on Your postings and the fuelly thing on the bottom of You sig ?

Plus the other Member who has an SR who was saying exactly the same,,

I would hope that the new model if and when it arrives has a more up to date engine.. Not that there is anything wrong with the 2.2 in Your late car.. The 2.2 is stonking engine and I like the power delivery. But one minute We are saying 32 next 37 to 39

Confused ..............................................

the clue is the word "now" ..... :)

read the "poor fuel consumtion" (sic) post for more info.

To all those that have kept on topic thank you, for those that havent go start your own !Removed! thread!

Just helped a bloke at work today with his mrs next car choice ;)

To all those that have kept on topic thank you, for those that havent go start your own !Removed! thread!

How pleasant ............... :huh:

Got to second you there mate. Fed up with reading two posts in one.

Bought my Rav cos of the fuel economy (irony there for CF)

Would recommend Toyota to anyone. Just waiting till I can afford to replace the LR with a LC!

Dave

Charlie

The 5th injector isn't another Toyota device to hack you off, its an essential method of getting a diesel engined automatic 4WD to meet Euro 5. It works most of the time under various conditions. It may well be that your style of driving is far more economical than Hoovie's especially if you can squeeze good figures out of the Jag.

My manual isn't spectacular knocking around in this cold weather but it is very acceptable on a trip.

I tried to push the OHs father towards a Yaris instead of a Clio but not having much success due to the (slightly) higher price have to pay for '10 plates. Promoted the 5 year warranty from July 2010 onwards Cars and having a spare (Clio has foam kit) but losing battle I think - (especially as he is looking for a car with lower average miles then the one he wrote off - 12,000 after 6 years!!)

I tried to push the OHs father towards a Yaris instead of a Clio but not having much success due to the (slightly) higher price have to pay for '10 plates. Promoted the 5 year warranty from July 2010 onwards Cars and having a spare (Clio has foam kit) but losing battle I think - (especially as he is looking for a car with lower average miles then the one he wrote off - 12,000 after 6 years!!)

Make sure he test drives both! I think he'd then go for the Yaris for sure.

Dave

Driving a Verso

I will never buy another Toyota, anything else but a Toyota.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links