Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Did You Buy A Toyota?

Gods_gift

Because the sales man gave me a cup of tea and a biscuit.........and I belived his pitter patter :thumbsup: now i`m lumbered with a huge oil bill.............hijacked.gif

SORRY!!!!!!!!!

Because the sales man gave me a cup of tea and a biscuit.........and I belived his pitter patter :thumbsup: now i`m lumbered with a huge oil bill.............hijacked.gif SORRY!!!!!!!!!

Thats a bit of an `oil` spot Jedoil :D

@J888www

Why are you on this forum then? It's a free world and all that but the web address gives it away really!

Dave

Because the sales man gave me a cup of tea and a biscuit.........and I belived his pitter patter :thumbsup: now i`m lumbered with a huge oil bill.............hijacked.gif

SORRY!!!!!!!!!

Careful !! One of the new moderators will tell You off...................................

They will indeed. You are entitled to your opinion but like giving somebody a reference, you can say good things but have to be very discreet in saying bad as it is usually the experience of the individual. If you publicly accuse a dealer of doing "dangerous" things you may well end up in court unless you have some very substantial facts and not just your feelings.

The forum does not condone such publicity and it is against the rules. Please amend your signature or I will do it for you.

Is that aimed at me????????.... as I dont know what Ive said that is offensive?.........now worried?..............please PM me some guidlines if so.......Was it a southener that complained?

Anchs is a cool and balanced Mod......if only all forums were run this way?......plus he has huge knowlege.:D

and who is this new mod? is it me have I been premoted?.......

Are the Toyota police watching this forum........

Simon-Frith-and-Br.-Anas-Al.gif

I bought this My second only Toyota for the legendary build quality and reliability that comes with Toyota ownership.... I have owned Many German cars also...............

The same reasons as i bought my first and only and possibly last Toyota.

I was looking for a make that would seem me through the last couple of years commuting and then through retirement at minimal extra cost for repairs.

BAD MISTAKE!

Silly things like heater control panel replaced at 3.25 years @ £1200 and a pipe connecting 2 valves in the fuel system @ £163 mostly taken up with fault diagnosis costs @ 3.8 years'

I dont need these type of silly faults and costs so will almost certainly be moving on long before planned.

Going back to the original topic

I bought my 2002 Corolla 5 years ago and it has passed every MOT needing nothing with no advisories, my father has a 2006 Merc C200 and it has needed new brake pipes, and a clutch!! My father in-law has a 2003 BMW 3 series coupe and has had to Shell out on new wishbones, coil packs and other various parts

With the exception of brake pads and tyres, German reliability ? remove the re from reliability and your closer to the mark. My Toyota been 100% reliable, never let me down and returns an average 38-41 mpg, I love my little red Toyota and I will be keeping it for years to come.

Our first Toyota, had Hondas before that.

Looked at CRV but uncomfortable.

Tried RAV4 and found it comfortable and nice to drive.

Staff at local dealer (Pentagon, Rotherham) were very helpful and pleasant to deal with. Still (2 yrs on) have time to speak to you when you call in.

Thanks

Peter

I have one for Mrs CC as they have always been reliable and the dealer treats her with respect. But it started for me when i was selling cars, the old Toyota/Nissan/Honda's always started and you never saw the customer again. Unlike the other junk.

The german stuff is better finished and they do some great drivers cars, but you dont get what you pay for. They know the buyer is desperate for the Badge and they dont need to try hard, its a great position to be in. I have a new German car on order at present, and my last car was a german car.

Toyota do need to maintain the improved quality as the whole 2AD/VVTI etc oil issues are hard to defend, plus some of the other stuff you see on here. I think Toyota buyers would rather have reliability than style, after all a car is supposed to be A-B transport.

Going back to the original topic

I bought my 2002 Corolla 5 years ago and it has passed every MOT needing nothing with no advisories, my father has a 2006 Merc C200 and it has needed new brake pipes, and a clutch!! My father in-law has a 2003 BMW 3 series coupe and has had to shell out on new wishbones, coil packs and other various parts

With the exception of brake pads and tyres, German reliability ? remove the re from reliability and your closer to the mark. My Toyota been 100% reliable, never let me down and returns an average 38-41 mpg, I love my little red Toyota and I will be keeping it for years to come.

Had my passat td for 15 years years and it passed mot each time no problems.

and build quality puts my Auris to shame.

Supposed to have had its 20000 miles service when i purchased the Auris.

only thing it had was the service book stamped.

there are many who have car problems on these forums with their Toyotas and many who dont as with any make or model.

too many people are wearing rose tinted, and some who would not admit that their car is as not as good as it should be.

also those who havent a clue about what they are talking about.

Someone described on these forums as the Auris being bullet proof. Well they would have to be useing rubber bullets and extra soft at that.

We had our first rav4 because we had a baby due. We went to pick up the push chair before the due date and it wouldnt fit in the boot of the Volkswagen polo we had at the time. We quickly got the rav. As for the Japanese V German thread we have had 2 ravs since 2006 (the first being 3 years old when we bought it) with no problems but on the other hand we had the polo for 7 years and i was sorry to see it go as it was bomb proof and only had Tyres and spark plugs in all that time.

Always liked the Rav4 since the first one came out when I was in my teens. Bought the 2.2 d4d xt5 as I loved the spec level and wanted something with all the toys and reasonable economy that would still fit the bikes/tents or whatever in the boot.

I'm getting about 36mpg combined and 45mpg on a run so not bad for its size although I agree that the diesel engine is way out of date in terms of power to economy compared to BMW. My father has a 330d that is immensely powerful and fast but does 50mpg. I previously had a 2002 passat tdi130 that was mapped to 175bhp and did 50+mpg. Build quality was on a par with the Rav but the materials used, especially the dash and door cards felt much better in the VW. The passat ate its dmf clutch and cost £800 to fix, but that may be the extra stress of the map!!!

I also had a Mazda 3mps between the passat and the rav. A bit of fun but chronic running costs.

I have no loyalty to any brand or country of manufacturers, I just buy what I like and say what my experience has taught me.

Some say the better the 4x4 performance is, the worse the mpg is. True in the Rav. Good abilities, not the best mpg.

What does that say about the BMW then?!

Dave

You aren't seriously comparing the RAV4 with the much more expensive to run and own BMW X5????

I bought a Toyota because all the evidence suggested that it would be a reliable motor that it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg if anything went wrong.

You aren't seriously comparing the RAV4 with the much more expensive to run and own BMW X5????

I bought a Toyota because all the evidence suggested that it would be a reliable motor that it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg if anything went wrong.

Mate My Jag actually costs LESS to run than My Rav4. Honestly it just does.....

Rav4 2.2 Diesel 6 speed manual. 176 BHP 400 NM of torque.

Fuel consumption

Town. 32 ish

Motorway 34 to 35

Figures are without the Lindop box in place.......

Insurance £416 per Year...

Jaguar XFS 3.0V6 Diesel Twin turbo. 6 speed auto. 315 BHP. 690 NM of torque

Fuel consumption.

Town 37ish

Motorway 42ish

Car has Spires remap.

Insurance £315 per year.

Both cars have the same VED rates

Both cars will cost a fortune if they go wrong......

The current engine in the Rav whist a nice tourqy reasonably refined unit is just out of date now... The T180 I have is quite lively but the latest SR with its auto box is again a nice drive and not sluggish is just way off the pace.. 150 BHP from a modern 2.2 is a bit on the low side.. Or perhaps the engines fragility is why Toyota saw fit to limit the power a bit ?? Consumption figures are also way off the pace.

Car is a brilliant load lugger though and I had it stuffed with so much gear on the last run up the road it was unbelievable....

Specifically, I could have stretched to an early BMW X5 3.0d but the cost of VED, insurance, servicing and, (if my experience of a 3 series is anything to go by), repairs would have all been MUCH more costly than my 2000 VVT-i Rav4. I've been getting early 30s MPG on the last few fuel ups and that's about what my X5 3.0d driving mate recons he's getting so all things considered an X5 would be considerably more costly to run.

BMW X5 3.0 V6 diesel 281 BHP 36 mpg!!!

Yes please!!!!

The BMW 3.0d unit is a straight 6 #pedant

So it is, still its growing on me, mpg figures are great for such a powerful engine.....

But then I'm thinking what the BMW Rav will be like, all that power and mpg....

But then why not just buy a BMW?

Mate My Jag actually costs LESS to run than My Rav4. Honestly it just does.....

Rav4 2.2 Diesel 6 speed manual. 176 BHP 400 NM of torque.

Fuel consumption

Town. 32 ish

Motorway 34 to 35

Figures are without the Lindop box in place.......

Insurance £416 per Year...

Jaguar XFS 3.0V6 Diesel Twin turbo. 6 speed auto. 315 BHP. 690 NM of torque

Fuel consumption.

Town 37ish

Motorway 42ish

Car has Spires remap.

Insurance £315 per year.

Both cars have the same VED rates

Both cars will cost a fortune if they go wrong......

The current engine in the Rav whist a nice tourqy reasonably refined unit is just out of date now... The T180 I have is quite lively but the latest SR with its auto box is again a nice drive and not sluggish is just way off the pace.. 150 BHP from a modern 2.2 is a bit on the low side.. Or perhaps the engines fragility is why Toyota saw fit to limit the power a bit ?? Consumption figures are also way off the pace.

Car is a brilliant load lugger though and I had it stuffed with so much gear on the last run up the road it was unbelievable....

If a further "running costs" comparison helps, my insurance just renewed last week at £286.00 , to include Homestart, wife, and 3 penalty points for running an amber light with low Feb. sun in ma eyes (don't ask....that wee wummin polis was under quota, obviously....) Did a multi car policy with wife's 3 door, so came in at £460.00 for the two with H/Start. (AVIVA)

Big Kev

Kev. Both of Our cars were renewed just last week.. Bit of a bugger when they land together !!

I questioned why the Jag was cheaper than the Jag as its a newer car and worth 3 times the money.... Barmy but that's just the way it is !!

Did one of those internet checks and could have got it cheaper but the cover was less and excesses larger and all those wee tricks they play....

Still don't explain why cover for the Jag is cheaper though !!

few comments ...

"...Or perhaps the engines fragility is why Toyota saw fit to limit the power a bit" - Toyota actually UPPED the power from 136 to 150 in 2010 so I don't think that observation really passes the test. What they seemed to do was simply drop the 180BHP model in the UK (still available elsewhere in Europe).

"Both cars will cost a fortune if they go wrong......" - not mine. I still have over 4 years warranty on mine, and if I still keep the car after if is 5 years old, I will take out extended (peace of mind) warranty. I did the same with my last RAV4 and when all 4 discs were replaced, I had to pay nothing for the repair; similarly with the Celicas Exhaust System (replaced under extended warranty at 5 years old!)

Re Insurance -

What I have done with my insurance this time round is instead of having no excess at all, was to take an excess, and then take out an additional Excess insurance policy which will pay for any excesses on Motor, Home, Travel, Phone and Pet Insurance claims - When I did the sums, found that was a cost effective option

"Both cars will cost a fortune if they go wrong......" - not mine. I still have over 4 years warranty on mine, and if I still keep the car after if is 5 years old, I will take out extended (peace of mind) warranty. I did the same with my last RAV4 and when all 4 discs were replaced, I had to pay nothing for the repair; similarly with the Celicas Exhaust System (replaced under extended warranty at 5 years old!)

Surprised that discs were covered and very surprised exhaust was covered. I would have expected both to be excluded as wear and tear items.

Did you make a special plea over this?

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links