Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Demister

ianfish

Anyone have any prob demisting the screen on their Rav 4.3? My XT4 has climate control, but if you set the control to screen demist, no air is blown out of the vents below the screen. The fan is working, you can hear it. Air just gets blown out of the face level vents.

Have you changed the cabin filter Ian?

It might be the servo motor. To test it, press and hold both the AUTO and RECIRC button together then turn on the ignition. The whole display will light up with all the indicators. Now press the ricirc button again and it will cycle through all the different modes. Make sure that air passes to the screen as indicated.

To check for fault codes AFTER you have run the servo check, press the AUTO button repeatedly. It will show some default codes but if you tell me what the codes are I will try to decipher them.

You can clear codes by pressing the heated rear window button.

Have you changed the cabin filter Ian?

It might be the servo motor. To test it, press and hold both the AUTO and RECIRC button together then turn on the ignition. The whole display will light up with all the indicators. Now press the ricirc button again and it will cycle through all the different modes. Make sure that air passes to the screen as indicated.

To check for fault codes AFTER you have run the servo check, press the AUTO button repeatedly. It will show some default codes but if you tell me what the codes are I will try to decipher them.

You can clear codes by pressing the heated rear window button.

Haven't changed the filter, no. Should I?

Tried your suggestion and it showed no's 24 & 21,

Thanks for helping, very much appreciated.

the first mist traces mean there is shortage of circulating air thru an air filter.

have filter changed

regards/Igor

Have you looked at the filter? It won't work properly if blocked but you can take it out just to test the flow;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69757

Mine shows 21 & 24 so don't worry about that. Just take that filter out and have your vacuum cleaner ready!!!

If it is blocked it could create enough back pressure to stop it pulling the flaps open inside the heater.

See what happens.

Have you looked at the filter? It won't work properly if blocked but you can take it out just to test the flow;

http://www.toyotaown...showtopic=69757

Mine shows 21 & 24 so don't worry about that. Just take that filter out and have your vacuum cleaner ready!!!

If it is blocked it could create enough back pressure to stop it pulling the flaps open inside the heater.

See what happens.

I have taken it out and cleaned it, it wasn't too bad. Problem still exists, airflow only coming out of facia vents not the screen ones.

Did it come out of the demisters during the test cycle?

Don't mean to be rude but you are pressing the demister button and not the cabin refresh. Its on the right hand group of buttons.

Did it come out of the demisters during the test cycle? Don't mean to be rude but you are pressing the demister button and not the cabin refresh. Its on the right hand group of buttons.

Ha ha! yes the correct button, and no it didn't come out of the demisters in the test cycle.

hmmm, you might be in trouble then. It sounds like a faulty servo or detached operating flap.

Can you hear the servo motor run if you set it to screen? (turn the fan speed right down).

Taking the heater out is a big job. Will you do it or a get a garage involved?

Taking the heater out is a big job.

Yup, whole dash has to come out :wacko:

See what happens.

I have taken it out and cleaned it, it wasn't too bad. Problem still exists, airflow only coming out of facia vents not the screen ones.

Maybe not going to cure your problem , but I was told the air filter's are not supposed to be cleaned, just replaced. They are quite cheap and they are scheduled to be changed fairly frequently (can't remember exact times- prob annually?)

Personally I'd just replace it anyway.

Dave

See what happens.

Maybe not going to cure your problem , but I was told the air filter's are not supposed to be cleaned, just replaced. They are quite cheap and they are scheduled to be changed fairly frequently (can't remember exact times- prob annually?)

Personally I'd just replace it anyway.

Dave

Seems to be a kind of "moveable feast" them pollen filters....I am sure it's 20k miles in between renewal, but some dealers seem NOT to make it mandatory that THEY do it without customer express permission / consultation as it is such an easy DIY job, but their labour charge far outweighs that of, say....me....?

Big Kev

hmmm, you might be in trouble then. It sounds like a faulty servo or detached operating flap. Can you hear the servo motor run if you set it to screen? (turn the fan speed right down). Taking the heater out is a big job. Will you do it or a get a garage involved?

I think I'll let my local garage take a look! Thanks for all the advice.