Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Model

Muttley123

What I was trying to get across is that we dont know the full facts and we dont know the true facts.

17 forum members have been affected - that is not a true representation of how many people have these cars in the UK. An it also means thats not a fair and balanced view for the thousands that have these engines that are working fine.

It's a bit like say a manufacturer made 6000 toasters and 20 of them had issues. Now I get there has been an issue but it needs to be put into perspective. Can you really trust the 4 engines a week figure at one dealer? I'd have thought if the issue was that serious they'd have launched a recall. Are they all from the same model year/range/manufacture batch/model, did they all fail in the same way? Have we got verification of the things you've been told. We just don't know.

Now yes lets have honest and open debates but lets keep them in context of our own user experi

ence. I have an XT4 with a 2AD 2.2 it's solid as are many many many others. Im just trying to get across your initial sweeping statement regarding the engines needs to be kept in context.

Yipeeee !!!!!!! Another Far King engine thread !!!! I was going out in the sunshine today, but now ah'm staying in with ma laptop and a wee glass of 5/30 fully semi synthetic oil.......

Big Kev

Is that glass of oil Thick or Thin?

Yes Dave....it is.....

That's because its a car forum.....durrrr :P

If you want to talk about roses and fairies, try the UC forum :lol: :D :P

What I was trying to get across is that we dont know the full facts and we dont know the true facts.

17 forum members have been affected - that is not a true representation of how many people have these cars in the UK. An it also means thats not a fair and balanced view for the thousands that have these engines that are working fine.

It's a bit like say a manufacturer made 6000 toasters and 20 of them had issues. Now I get there has been an issue but it needs to be put into perspective. Can you really trust the 4 engines a week figure at one dealer? I'd have thought if the issue was that serious they'd have launched a recall. Are they all from the same model year/range/manufacture batch/model, did they all fail in the same way? Have we got verification of the things you've been told. We just don't know.

Now yes lets have honest and open debates but lets keep them in context of our own user experi

ence. I have an XT4 with a 2AD 2.2 it's solid as are many many many others. Im just trying to get across your initial sweeping statement regarding the engines needs to be kept in context.

Mate there are several threads here on the Forum which will explain fully..

Lets be realistic here if I went onto a forum and saw how many engines are and have been replaced I would quite simply not buy car with a likely affected engine..

So You thing 17 out of what is a relatively small forum is not many !!!

"Bill says to Ben... Ere Ben I've just been onto that Toyota Forum and 17 Guys have had to have new engines !! Best bit though Ben is they are still buying them !!

What are they on WEEEEEEEED .................

Toyota have not and will not do a recall for two very good reasons.. Not all cars are affected.... And more importantly the issue is not one of safety....Not difficult is it ??

ALL dealers are replacing engines on a very very regular basis Your 20 in 6000 is just so way off the mark its almost laughable.

Im not laughing though as I was daft enough to buy a car affected without bothering to ask questions like the OP has..

Kev it would seem that these threads will continue to be dominated by engines simply because so many cant be bothered to do a search or look at the pinned threads where the information is already set out....

It is unfair plain and simple not to inform those that ask about the cars and any possible issues....

Or would it be preffered to not say and then inform when yet another member complains of high oil and fuel consumption ??

Cant be had both ways !!!

When I had my 2nd engine rebuilt there were another 3 in there at the same time having there engines done. I had to wait a couple of weeks before my dealer could get me in because the amount of 2AD engines in front of me!!!

This issue is far bigger than what you think mate!!!...

You still dont get it - how do you know what dealers are doing? They dont have to tell you the truth. I still think your sweeping statements are without fact and without hard proof. 17 members with issues is still a !Removed! small amount of people when you consider how many of these engines are out there. The internet is a big place an surely thousands and thousands would be lining up to post if the 2AD was as duff as you think!?

Anyone buying a rav yes check to see if this car has been affected (check and ask seller if engine has been replaced for instance), if your that worried make sure you get a solid warranty. But for christsake dont write off an entire model range because of some people having an issue.

I know what your saying.......but when a Manufacturer issues a TSB 3 times for the same fault......its got to be huge..........but they have stood up to the mark, and offered a extended warranty.......maybe wish they hadn't now :D

Bmw 3 series have had an issue with oil pumps failing, merc v6 petrol with oil control rings, ford coil packs and dash failures, audi injector faults and dsg control module failures.

All manufactures have issues and you have to accept the risk personally that when you buy a car no matter how nice the dealer is, or how many checks you have done that car could be a lemon. An thats not your fault it just happens as it's a mechanical design mass produced by the most unreliable thing on the planet - people.

Well if TGB are replacing engines at this rate they should all be getting done now. It would be intersesting to know what the percentage of effected models/had engines done ratio is but my feeling is that Toyota are catching up on them now. In that case there is a better chance of you finding one with a new/replacement engine than without.

Anyone know the difference between the xt4 and xt5?

Just kidding.

I have the pdf brochure but at 5.7 meg its a bit too big to post. If you pm me with your email I will send it to you.

Basically its all the toys of the T180 but with the 140 engine.

Anyone know the difference between the xt4 and xt5?

Basically its all the toys of the T180 but with the 140 engine.

But no Run Flats !!! yeah!!!!!

Also no 18" wheels and probably no arch extensions either I think? :(

You still dont get it - how do you know what dealers are doing? They dont have to tell you the truth. I still think your sweeping statements are without fact and without hard proof. 17 members with issues is still a !Removed! small amount of people when you consider how many of these engines are out there. The internet is a big place an surely thousands and thousands would be lining up to post if the 2AD was as duff as you think!?

Anyone buying a rav yes check to see if this car has been affected (check and ask seller if engine has been replaced for instance), if your that worried make sure you get a solid warranty. But for christsake dont write off an entire model range because of some people having an issue.

You are the one Who isn't getting it !! Go into ANY Toyota franchise and ask for information on the situation with the 2AD engine ?

When My car went in for the first time there were three other vehicles all in for the same thing... 2nd time around there were 5 engines including My one palleted an awaiting the lorry to take them back to Toyota GB ready for shipping back to Japan..

You think this is normal ? I have advised at least 4 other Members on the situation and helped them with the process of getting the engines in their cars replaced ...

Cmon Guys speak up ?

I am not condemning the whole range just pointing out the facts related to the engines fitted to the 4.3 2.2 Diesels between 2006 and 2009 (Late)

And still You say this is without fact and is normal ..

My statement is not a sweeping statement without facts !! I can and will back every word up without a doubt..

I can even tell You exactly to the penny what a replacement costs !

Your comments and ridiculous statements are starting to make You look a fool now so either read what is on the net and by that I mean the fact or !Removed!.........

That's my point too Charlie, there are many who are not speaking up, yet read these forums and have had problems.........yet take all info on here to Toyota for s new engine........

Cmon guys/gals don't be shy :D

That's my point too Charlie, there are many who are not speaking up, yet read these forums and have had problems.........yet take all info on here to Toyota for s new engine........

Cmon guys/gals don't be shy :D

Are we able to know how many members are registered to this forum and, of those how many have a 2006 to late 2009 RAV4 diesel?

Juat a thought.....................

Bmw 3 series have had an issue with oil pumps failing, merc v6 petrol with oil control rings, ford coil packs and dash failures, audi injector faults and dsg control module failures.

All manufactures have issues and you have to accept the risk personally that when you buy a car no matter how nice the dealer is, or how many checks you have done that car could be a lemon. An thats not your fault it just happens as it's a mechanical design mass produced by the most unreliable thing on the planet - people.

But We are not talking BMW or Ford here ?? There is a slightly different liability implication to getting a coil pack fixed against an engine..

My point is that Anyone considering buying a rav 4 with the engine above is that when the warranty expires the liability does not !

We were asked Which model of Rav4.. Not which Mondeo..

So if You or anyone for that matter are considering buying one You should be given ALL the information and then decide..

All cars have minor faults the Rav has a few niggles in addition to the engines... Cracking leather seats ? Clunking creaking steering anyone ?

But to be maybe put in a situation where an engine needs replacing when the engines are out of the extended warranty would be a nightmare and perhaps not worth spending that amount of money on the car.................

GG. Could it be You are a Mug ?? A Mug like Me who did not ask the questions before buying ?? Perhaps like Me the penny has dropped that Your investment is or in My case be extremely difficult to sell or trade in ??

The statistics and information is MASSIVE... Only You are disputing this.. It is also backed up by Toyota's unparalleled move to offer the extended warranty.............

Yipeeee !!!!!!! Another Far King engine thread !!!! I was going out in the sunshine today, but now ah'm staying in with ma laptop and a wee glass of 5/30 fully semi synthetic oil.......

Big Kev

Yes Dave....it is.....

Still being a FUD I see and contributing nowt to this thread.

I was taken into the workshop to meet the guy who was going to be doing my engine! While I was there I saw the other engines that were being worked on. I asked the tech's who were re-building the engines and to what extent! They had see lots come in and expect many more to!... Dont know what more proof you'd need tbh?...

Big Kev

Yes Dave....it is.....

Still being a FUD I see and contributing nowt to this thread.

Thought ye meant me there, Dave....then noticed the inclusion of that which is and shall remain on IGNORE / BLOCK, so ah'll stop driving about looking for yer hoose.....!!!! :thumbsup:

OK.............

...................I've been involved with several owners that have had their engines changed under warranty. They are all very grateful and still as pleased as ever with their cars. I believe they would all buy another Toyota because of their experience. Anyone who knows about engine design will understand that the 2AD concept is first class albeit that SOME of the early engines have benefited from some running production changes. These were all brought together in a replacement engine for customers that suffered some of the early problems. As more of these engines are being fitted, the chances of future owners finding themselves with a problem vehicle is deminishing. I don't know what else we can expect from Toyota???

As for resale values, I don't know that a RAV retails at any less than a CRV and is certainly a better prospect than a X-Trail which had a similar purchase price. There seems to be owners here that have had their vehicles rectified at no cost yet seem extremely bitter. I don't get it.

Don I am not bitter at Toyota .. How many times have I sung the praises of not only the Dealers but Toyota GB ??..

I am not even bitter about the ridiculous prices I have been offered for My car as it is a recognised thing that these cars have engine issues and even non Toyota franchises are picking up on this FAST....

We cant expect anything more of Toyota... But the facts are the facts and as long as a new Members asks the questions I for one will answer .. Fell free to ban Me if it makes You feel better cos that's the only way You will stop Me from voicing My opinions on any subject good or bad. That is why Forums such as this exist. So new Members can gain information and either take heed or ignore....

I said above I was a Mug for not looking but at the time this whole thing was in its infancy anyway so I may have missed it. But if I had picked up on it then I would not be here on this Forum today. That would be a shame as I have met in person more people from here than any other of the Forums I go on put together. Have also spoke on the phone to quite a few and given AND received gratefully a lot of help and information....

The Rav is a great concept and a car I have taken to like no other vehicle I have owned in say the last ten Years...

But to anyone considering buying one please avoid any vehicle fitted with the 2.2 2 AD Diesel engine fitted between 2006 to late 2009.

Now I will go out on a limb and explain why and hope this does not get Me into a heap of ***** E ..

When I posted the change in the oil consumption figures I was told it was not true and We should not listen but wait and see ... Don even You would not accept it and I got ticked off.... It was true though ??

Now the biggie...... Dont shoot the messenger .............

I am told by a very senior person that the policy of engines to Toyota passenger vehicles carrying the 2.2 litre 2AD engines is to change during the next two to three months...

This is simply because the cost now being carried is just to great.................

Well We all thought it was to good to last ?

Myself and Charlie have been talking about the possibility of Toyota pulling the goodwill plug out for a while now! Looks like its going to happen soon! I think that some will be shocked about the amount of 2AD engines fitted!... I've heard that this could be in excess of 7000 units!... YEP! its a lot, but remember that these 2AD engines are fitted to Avensis,RAV ect...

You sure you got the whole car Adam? I can't see the steering wheel.......................

Anyway, welcome to the club :thumbsup:

Piccies to follow?

Myself and Charlie have been talking about the possibility of Toyota pulling the goodwill plug out for a while now! Looks like its going to happen soon! I think that some will be shocked about the amount of 2AD engines fitted!... I've heard that this could be in excess of 7000 units!... YEP! its a lot, but remember that these 2AD engines are fitted to Avensis,RAV ect...

Let's hope they've fixed the engine problems better than they fixed the DMF problem in the 4.2's :thumbsup:

7000 replacement engines......really? That sounds a mighty number! Good job I like the petrol engine :)

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links