Do Not Sell My Personal Information

An Iq Called Toya

craggle

On 23/03/2016 at 8:55 AM, craggle said:

If I ever replace my dashcam I will get a forward and rear facing version as I too see stupid things in the mirror. Had my camera for years now and apart from needing a new SD card it's been faultless. Would happily buy another BlackVue product next time.

Craig.

I actually use two cameras as I've got a forward and rear facing camera fitted in the wife's mazda and after viewing the footage of the rear camera, I don't think it would help (maybe the better and more expensive cameras offer better footage).

I should start taking the videos off the cameras and view them. There is some footage I'd like to pass to the police so they can deal with some of the drivers out there who think they are not being watched. 

I have one incident of a van driver texting on a mobile, going up a hill passing a cyclist at speed.

• 6 months later...

Hello all

Been a while since I posted on my thread but no news is good news I guess. iQ has been running really well recently and taken me many miles of happy motoring. 

Made a small change last weekend though in fitting new horns. I always thought the single tone, small horn of the iQ was a bit feeble so bought some twin tone ones from eBay and managed to squeeze one in the same space as the original horn and the other one in the space near the front wheel. Bumper comes off nice and easy to allow fitment and the wiring was nice and easy too. 

Does sound a lot better.

Craig.

IMG_4470.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/05/2015 at 2:01 PM, craggle said:

Well, Another mod took place today.

Well, Fitted today, it's taken some time in the planning and build of it.

In my previous cars I've always enjoyed changing the radio unit to something a bit better, Keep up with technology, better sound quality, more options to play with etc. but the standard, built in CD player in the iQ always felt a bit basic to me. It's very built in though so what can you do I hear you cry, Well, Read on.....

I purchased another radio unit from an accident damaged iQ on ebay for £40. It came complete in the plastic housing with the radio unit still fitted to it. An interesting thing to note is the radio behind the plastic housing is a standard Din size radio so I bought myself a Pioneer CD, DAB, unit and fitted it to the same brackets as the existing unit, Even the screw holes lined up. I then cut the plastic housing and made a new plastic fascia surrounding the radio and fibre glassed it all into place.

After a few coats of filler and lots of sanding it was painted a similar grey to the old unit and fitted into place.

It seems to work fine except I can't find anything on DAB at the minute? I got a steering wheel control adapter too so they still work and it sounds much better than the old unit. I have more photos and have the part numbers of cables, adapters etc. if anyone else fancies having a go.

Craig.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 4.JPG

Hello,
I thought about doing the same thing, and I did not know if possible.
As you disassemble the original stereo?
Is there a guide?
How it connects the Pioneer to original connector?
Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not replying Anthony, I completely missed your replies somehow?

Have you figured it out now? 

To get the stereo out the car you simply get hold of the heater panel under the radio housing and carefully ease it towards you. There are no screws, just clips. Keep pulling and it will eventually come off. To get the stereo housing out you will now see the heads of two screws hidden at the sides of the radio. Remove those and the radio housing will un-clip towards you in much the same way as the heater panel did.

Most of the interior panels in the iQ are clipped in so if you can't see any screws carefully start pulling and most things come out! :biggrin:

Craig.

• 3 years later...

3 and half years and nothing new with car? Is it still alive? Haha

Yup, Still rolling along perfectly. 🙂

Other than new brake pads and a new set of tyres there isn't much to note really. It's gained a few more stone chips in those years and now around 115k miles on the clock but once a year oil changes and it's a goodun . 😁

Gave her a polish over the weekend.

Craig.

IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_3148.JPG

• Like 1

Great looking car you inspired me with my Toyota IQ build 😄

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I have to thank Craggle for the information he has posted in this thread, I've just replaced the wiper arm rubber boots on the car. Our 7 year old model had suffered splits in both seals and its cheaper to change the seals than get another wiper arm mechanism. The parts were £31 inc next day postage. I couldn't get to replace the seals without taking the trim and the black metal plate out because of the way the seals fit to the metal plate.

I found the plastic corner trims at the lower corners of the windscreen to be the most 'testing' bit to remove. On our car there was a small piece of double sided tape in place at the top which held it to the black trim running up the sides of the windscreen. There are also two small 'clips' which catch under the lip of the 'A' pillar. At the bottom there are two other clips. In short. I found I had to lift the top part of the trim away first to break the adhesive seal of the double sided tape. Then push down the out edge, (nearest to the 'A' pillar), whilst at the same time easing it away from the pillar. It doesn't need to move far. Once those clips are free, the whole trim is slid sideways towards the centre of the car, that frees it from the last two clips and it lifts away. After that, the rest of the job is pretty straight forward. Have a small bit of double sided sticky tape to hand so full assembly can be achieved.

• 3 weeks later...

That's amazing work there mate! I was wondering if you would do the stereo trim and fiber glass work as a separate job and pay you for it. Am tired trying to find the double din console and am not really good in fiberglass either 😕

On 10/11/2016 at 10:09 AM, craggle said:

Hello all

Been a while since I posted on my thread but no news is good news I guess. iQ has been running really well recently and taken me many miles of happy motoring. 

Made a small change last weekend though in fitting new horns. I always thought the single tone, small horn of the iQ was a bit feeble so bought some twin tone ones from ebay and managed to squeeze one in the same space as the original horn and the other one in the space near the front wheel. Bumper comes off nice and easy to allow fitment and the wiring was nice and easy too. 

Does sound a lot better.

Craig.

IMG_4470.JPG

Hi

I need to replace my horn, does the front bumper need to be removed in order to replace the horn? Is it fairly straight forward?

• 10 months later...

Been a fair while since I have been on this forum, Got distracted by Range Rovers, series one Land Rovers and life in general. One thing that hasn't changed however is my iQ. 😀

I came back to post about the failure of my air con recently and how I overcame the issue without giving the dealer a fair chunk of money! 

Attached should be a PDF with the details in it but to put it short, if your AC has stopped working suddenly and the compressor can not be heard engaging when the button is pressed, read the document, you might be able to get it working again for about £10.

Oh, I've broken another widscreen as well, this will be the third one the car has had when fitted!

Craig.

Toyota AC fix.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Craig, it good to hear you still have the iQ. I wish I could have kept mine and still got the Jimny. Strangely enough mine has not been taxed or MOT'd since I part x'd her 😞

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi Craig, thanks for your posts over the years, they're very inspiring with great ideas with ways to create subtle upgrades. I have a silver iQ3 am wondering where you bought those great looking chrome interior door handles from? immy007 

• Like 1

Been trying to remember where the chrome handles came from but have just found an old email that explains it. I bought them from another member on here, David or Tarquin on here. 
He bought them from China or Japan for a different Toyota model which was a four door car. As he got four of them and he only need two I bought the other two from him.
Unfortunately I can't remember what car they were for and searching on eBay and on the forum here doesn't find much either.

If I find anything more I'll let you know

Craig.

• Like 1

The mirrors are prius so may be a prius/aqua ?

Edit. It's Prius ZVW30, 40 and 41 the other is the Wish ZGE20, 22 and 25