Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking To Change My 2006 T180 Before 112K/7Yr Warranty

tubaman

Had my 2006 T180 since 2008, done circa 65K miles and absolutely love it - no problems so far except for the odd blocked EGR valve.

I'm looking to swap it within next 6m or so (definitely before the 7yr/112K warranty) - I love its power/torque/comfort/reversing sensors/cruise control although its mpg could be better. Whilst I dont really do the miles for a diesel, I tow about twice/year and love the low-down totque of the T180.

I'm looking for a 2010/2011 car - what should I be considering ? New Avensis, Passat, Accord or even Mondeo ??

I'm quite into reliable, powerful & technologically advanced engines (the new 1.8 toyota petrol engines seem very good but I think I may miss the torque).

Any opinions welcome

I would go and have a run in a Passat 1.8T, and i stress the T. Petrol turbo is a superb engine with the combo of torque and power but still good on fuel, they are rare though. There all good cars, but the mondeo would need to be cheap!

Accord tourer would be worth a look. 2.0 petrol returns 40mpg average according to figures which probably isnt far off what you get from your T180. The diesel might not be worth paying extra for if you don't do the miles to justify.

if I was changing & given my sub 10k annual mileage these days the 1.8 petrol Avensis Tourer would be high on my list.

You can buy a 1 year old, low mileage with 4 years warranty remaining from ~£10k depending on trim.

Yes, the annual road fund licence is higher & mpg not quite as good as a diesel (but petrol is about 6% cheaper atm) but once you go out of warranty (& Toyota's 5 year is better than either Ford or VW) the cost of potential issues is far lower (no DMF, no DPF, no turbo etc.).

but cars are personal things & what I love you may not & vice versa.

To be honest, having had a good look around various models and particularily their engines, I cant find anything that comes close to the BMW 320D engine - power/torque and superb economy. I'm considering a 2-3 yr old model (whilst the 2.0ltr 2012 models are a bit down on power at 163Bhp, the economy is well up)

you aren't just buying an engine though - does the cabin suit you, are you OK with RWD, how's service & insurance cost etc. etc.?

The 320d is a very good car, but they are quite small inside, and can be twitchy in the wet and are useless in the snow. So for most of the time still very good and are very easy to sell on and own. Not really a direct Avensis competitor though as your going into the small exec class as opposed to large family car.

To be honest, having had a good look around various models and particularily their engines, I cant find anything that comes close to the BMW 320D engine - power/torque and superb economy. I'm considering a 2-3 yr old model (whilst the 2.0ltr 2012 models are a bit down on power at 163Bhp, the economy is well up)

The BMW 520/525 is a far better car all round than the 320, more room inside bigger boot and more comfort, all beemers can be expensive to maintain, Honda are one of the most reliable these days.

Pete.

Some very fair points guys and I havn't yet made my decision.

I know the 3 Series is a bit smaller than the Avensis, i can live with that. I used to love RWD cars years ago and quite look forward to possibly owning another one. I havn't really seen any bad reports on the 3 Series and especially that diesel engine - whilst the power/torque are similar to my T180, economy looks on the next level and they aint making T180's any more. Dont get me wrong, I love my T180 but I'm really getting a little bored with it - I'm sure the 3 Series would be a better drive.

2012 model too new to have feedback but worth reading on the previous model - DMF & DPF problems http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/bmw/3-series-e90-2005/?section=bad

I've also heard that BMW have turbo problems across various model ranges.

I prefer RWD cars too from a driving pov (not so keen on the transmission tunnel) but if the last few Winters are indicators of the future at least budget for a set of Winter Tyres.

Interestingly Toyota.de still lists a 177PS 2.2 D-CAT option as available for the Avensis so it may well be that Toyota UK decided to not offer the T180 in the UK anymore due to co. car tax etc. rules.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links