aidank

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Toyota Model: corolla

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

hi all,

had a test drive in a 2007 auris with 60k miles on the clock today.

A few things struck me, v heavy clutch, not really gone on either the handbrake position or the gearstick position. It was the handbrake with the button on top of the lever rather than it sticking out the frount.

the only thing that put me off this one was the heavy clutch, is that common to Auris or indicating a fault with this one?

the Auris is a bit like a Yaris, your back further from the frount window than the VVTi corollas, and you can't see any bonnet out the frount window, even where you lean a bit forward. Under the bonnett looks a bit like a Yaris too engine nearly under the dashboard.

Also I was wondering what are the differences between the 2007 corolla and the auris.

It appears to me neither a single body panel or light are common, so what about in the cabin is the gear stick and handbrake in the same place or are they in the same place as an Avensis

all info appreciated

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 T Sport 1978

T Sport 1978

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • First Name:Des
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Corolla T Sport - Auris T180 - Auris HSD T Spirit
  • Year: 2005

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

Difference between the Auris and the Corolla is that the Corolla is solid whereas the Auris is anything but :)

I have had both and I can safely say that the Corolla was built to last, the Auris was very clearly built to an overly low cost.

In the Auris you sit very high, the first time I drove in one I thought I was in an MPV. But it is very comfy and whilst everything is new, it's a good car. But inadvertently the creeks and squeaks comes in, and the interior trims are just not as good as the Corolla was, both in feel and quality.

Mechanically the Corolla was rock solid as well, infact the Corolla was a very very good car. I miss my T Sport to this day :)

#3 aidank

aidank

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:23 PM

Difference between the Auris and the Corolla is that the Corolla is solid whereas the Auris is anything but :)

I have had both and I can safely say that the Corolla was built to last, the Auris was very clearly built to an overly low cost.

In the Auris you sit very high, the first time I drove in one I thought I was in an MPV. But it is very comfy and whilst everything is new, it's a good car. But inadvertently the creeks and squeaks comes in, and the interior trims are just not as good as the Corolla was, both in feel and quality.

Mechanically the Corolla was rock solid as well, infact the Corolla was a very very good car. I miss my T Sport to this day :)

thanks for info, in your post are you referring to Corolla 2005-2006 or Corolla 2007-2008?

what do you think of my heavy clutch observation

#4 T Sport 1978

T Sport 1978

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • First Name:Des
  • Toyota Model: Corolla T Sport - Auris T180 - Auris HSD T Spirit

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

Sorry, my corolla was an 03 reg, pre face lift. Essentially they would have been the same quality though.

The Auris had a light clutch, so I suspect your test drive car is NOT on the original clutch or that the clutch might be in need or attention soon.

#5 Cyker

Cyker

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris/03

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

Is this a diesel Auris?

I know the 2.0D4D Corolla had a very heavy clutch but AFAIK the Auris are all quite normall pressure clutches unless the Auris D4D also now sports a heavy clutch...?

Or maybe someone has fitted a heavy duty clutch to it :lol:

#6 acetip

acetip

Top Rank Poster!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,475 posts
  • First Name:peter
  • Toyota Model: auris t spirit 1.6 vvti duel.
  • Year: 2007

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

I agree about the poor quality of the Auris build. As to the gear lever position i too found it strange at first but have come to like it.The distance to move your hand from the steering wheel to the gear stick is much shorter than the conventional position of the stick. which cant be a bad thing.
The handbrake position is not in to my mind ideal,but one adapts.
On my Auris the clutch is not at all heavy but its a petrol model so there maybe a heavier clutch on some diesel models.

#7 aidank

aidank

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

no bother selecting gears or anything with the one that I drove and don't think clutch was slipping either

would a heavy clutch be a sign that it would be on the way out?

#8 aidank

aidank

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

the auris and corolla have the same engines and gearbox I presume but not a single body panel or light is the same?

is the cabin the same between auris and corolla?

#9 Bemused2

Bemused2

Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • First Name:Martin
  • Toyota Model: Auris 1.33
  • Year: 2010

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

I have had a 2004 Corolla M.M.T.( Still recovering from that neurotic gearbox)and a 2006 facelift. Now got a year old Auris.
The cabins are completely different. I doubt if any of the body panels etc are the same..
Not sure about the engines but some Auris have a six speed gearbox.

The Corolla was a solid car with no rattles and good quality fitments. Superb reliability. Only thing was it did throw water on the seats when you opened the door in the rain. Apart from that, a car Toyota should be building now. No doubt the bean counters considered profits before quality.

As for the Auris its O.K. Does not seem as solid and has some annoying faults, probably down to cost cutting. And guess what, mine has developed a rattle in the dashboard area.

The clutch is very light. I would get that heavy clutch checked out.

#10 baba_metca

baba_metca

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • First Name:Teodor
  • Toyota Model: Toyota Avensis

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

We have 2.0D4D Auris (nearly 3 years old, ~25K on the clock, 6 speed manual) and the clutch is very light. I drove a 1.4 d4d Auris (3 years old, 5 speed manual) with the same very light clutch.

About the other things, I agree with most of them. The Auris is a bit squeaky on the panels and a bit plasticy. But the Auris is roomier. Before getting ours, I have checked can I fit in front and then at the back, and in the Corolla was a bit tight, but you get a bigger boot. The Auris is taller I think, and i'm not sure about the Corolla, but the Auris's back seats have two back setting. One slightly upright, and one slightly tilted backwords (proven worthy when trying to rest on a long journey). It's slight tilt but it makes a hole lot of difference for us.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users