Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Differences Between Auris And Corolla

aidank

hi all,

had a test drive in a 2007 auris with 60k miles on the clock today.

A few things struck me, v heavy clutch, not really gone on either the handbrake position or the gearstick position. It was the handbrake with the button on top of the lever rather than it sticking out the frount.

the only thing that put me off this one was the heavy clutch, is that common to Auris or indicating a fault with this one?

the Auris is a bit like a Yaris, your back further from the frount window than the VVTi corollas, and you can't see any bonnet out the frount window, even where you lean a bit forward. Under the bonnett looks a bit like a Yaris too engine nearly under the dashboard.

Also I was wondering what are the differences between the 2007 corolla and the auris.

It appears to me neither a single body panel or light are common, so what about in the cabin is the gear stick and handbrake in the same place or are they in the same place as an Avensis

all info appreciated

Difference between the Auris and the Corolla is that the Corolla is solid whereas the Auris is anything but :)

I have had both and I can safely say that the Corolla was built to last, the Auris was very clearly built to an overly low cost.

In the Auris you sit very high, the first time I drove in one I thought I was in an MPV. But it is very comfy and whilst everything is new, it's a good car. But inadvertently the creeks and squeaks comes in, and the interior trims are just not as good as the Corolla was, both in feel and quality.

Mechanically the Corolla was rock solid as well, infact the Corolla was a very very good car. I miss my T Sport to this day :)

Difference between the Auris and the Corolla is that the Corolla is solid whereas the Auris is anything but :)

I have had both and I can safely say that the Corolla was built to last, the Auris was very clearly built to an overly low cost.

In the Auris you sit very high, the first time I drove in one I thought I was in an MPV. But it is very comfy and whilst everything is new, it's a good car. But inadvertently the creeks and squeaks comes in, and the interior trims are just not as good as the Corolla was, both in feel and quality.

Mechanically the Corolla was rock solid as well, infact the Corolla was a very very good car. I miss my T Sport to this day :)

thanks for info, in your post are you referring to Corolla 2005-2006 or Corolla 2007-2008?

what do you think of my heavy clutch observation

Sorry, my corolla was an 03 reg, pre face lift. Essentially they would have been the same quality though.

The Auris had a light clutch, so I suspect your test drive car is NOT on the original clutch or that the clutch might be in need or attention soon.

Is this a diesel Auris?

I know the 2.0D4D Corolla had a very heavy clutch but AFAIK the Auris are all quite normall pressure clutches unless the Auris D4D also now sports a heavy clutch...?

Or maybe someone has fitted a heavy duty clutch to it :lol:

I agree about the poor quality of the Auris build. As to the gear lever position i too found it strange at first but have come to like it.The distance to move your hand from the steering wheel to the gear stick is much shorter than the conventional position of the stick. which cant be a bad thing.

The handbrake position is not in to my mind ideal,but one adapts.

On my Auris the clutch is not at all heavy but its a petrol model so there maybe a heavier clutch on some diesel models.

no bother selecting gears or anything with the one that I drove and don't think clutch was slipping either

would a heavy clutch be a sign that it would be on the way out?

the auris and corolla have the same engines and gearbox I presume but not a single body panel or light is the same?

is the cabin the same between auris and corolla?

I have had a 2004 Corolla M.M.T.( Still recovering from that neurotic gearbox)and a 2006 facelift. Now got a year old Auris.

The cabins are completely different. I doubt if any of the body panels etc are the same..

Not sure about the engines but some Auris have a six speed gearbox.

The Corolla was a solid car with no rattles and good quality fitments. Superb reliability. Only thing was it did throw water on the seats when you opened the door in the rain. Apart from that, a car Toyota should be building now. No doubt the bean counters considered profits before quality.

As for the Auris its O.K. Does not seem as solid and has some annoying faults, probably down to cost cutting. And guess what, mine has developed a rattle in the dashboard area.

The clutch is very light. I would get that heavy clutch checked out.

We have 2.0D4D Auris (nearly 3 years old, ~25K on the clock, 6 speed manual) and the clutch is very light. I drove a 1.4 d4d Auris (3 years old, 5 speed manual) with the same very light clutch.

About the other things, I agree with most of them. The Auris is a bit squeaky on the panels and a bit plasticy. But the Auris is roomier. Before getting ours, I have checked can I fit in front and then at the back, and in the Corolla was a bit tight, but you get a bigger boot. The Auris is taller I think, and i'm not sure about the Corolla, but the Auris's back seats have two back setting. One slightly upright, and one slightly tilted backwords (proven worthy when trying to rest on a long journey). It's slight tilt but it makes a hole lot of difference for us.

I had a 2006 Corolla 1.4 Colour Collection from new, and changed to a new 2009 Auris 1.33 TR. The Auris is larger - 50mm wider and taller, and has the larger boot (354 litres as opposed to 289 litres for the Corolla hatch). In common with a lot of other manufacturers, Toyota have gone for harder plastics on the dashboard and control surfaces, which don't feel as pleasant as the Corolla's. For example when I had my 53 reg Mazda 323, the Mazda 3 which replaced the 323, had exactly the same change in interior plastics - harder plastics, not as good to touch, etc.

The Corolla did seem to be better built and had greater detailing (eg rubber mats in the glovebox and door pockets, felt lined storage box in dashboard). Where the Auris has a tendency to rattles (mine doesn't), the Corolla used to dribble rainwater onto the front seats (and sometimes stained the fabric) when the doors were opened, and the dashboard (whcih was constructed in two halves) had a tendency for the lower half to sag slightly in time, leaving a gap between the upper and lower halves.

The 'optimal drive' Auris's in 1.33 and 1.6 petrols, gained the six speed gearbnox in 2009.

The 'bridged' console of the Auris raises the gearlever to a similar position of some MPV's - this and the different handbrake arrangement don't take much time to get used to.

The clutch in my Auris is similar to my Corolla - light.

The auris and corolla use the same engine gearbox .looms and floor panels but thats it the auris is produced in the uk and turkey from start to present using locally sourced parts (bosch) the corollas we get from 07 on, first batch came from japan using japaneese parts (denso / tockica) the second batch of corollas which if not mistaken the uk didnt get came from south africa using

european parts so although the vehicles may look

simillar they have very different build qualitys and managment systems

i have a corolla 2005 d4d 2.0 and a auris 2007 d4d 2.0

the auris feels lighter overall but that down to the cheaper build.

the corolla i would trust to drive around the world but not to sure about the auris althogh i drive the auris move and as i type this the corolla is sold and about to be picked up. will be sad to see it go :crybaby: but time moves on.

the auris however is full of gadgets so i choose to keep it until later this year when i will hopefully get a audi A3.

auris clutch is light compared to the corolla but that could be because the auris is 33k and corolla 52k

The auris and corolla use the same engine gearbox .looms and floor panels but thats it the auris is produced in the uk and turkey from start to present using locally sourced parts (bosch) the corollas we get from 07 on, first batch came from japan using japaneese parts (denso / tockica) the second batch of corollas which if not mistaken the uk didnt get came from south africa using

european parts so although the vehicles may look

simillar they have very different build qualitys and managment systems

Did the Corolla have the Dual vvti engine as the Auris has.

The 1.4 and 1.6 VVTi engines were carried over from the Corolla, and then replaced in 2009 with the Dual VVTi 1.33 and the 1.6 Valvematic.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That's not true, at least when you look at the 1,6 L engine. The valvematic is a totally new engine, compared to the 1,6 L Corolla E12 engine.

the auris is face lifted corolla same engine and i think its called corolla in some other countries.

iThe Auris was not designed as a World car like the Corolla, it was designed purely for the European market in mind, ( it was not what Europe bought in quantity as it goes,a massive fail there) although has now been released in in other parts of the world. I have no idea on the total sales of the Auris per year but I suspect it is no where near to previous world sales of the Corolla.

The ergonomics of the controls at 1st. seem a bit strange but the gearchange is a massive hit for me, the stick just happens to be in the perfect place for me but the handbrake is a massive fail, the angle and stupidly poisitioned release button just don't fall to hand , you have to look at it and figure out the way the button depresses, just not instinctive at all.

Foot pedals are no problem, correctly spaced and the right feel to all 3 of them.

The climate control with the mode switch has defeated me on how it all works, the designer was trying to be clever there showing how many buttons and switches he could muster up and have so many combinations of auto/manual control, instead of what should be a simpler heat or cold control for joe public, yes a massive fail for me.

Having recently driven a freinds '04 Corolla diesel, that has twice as many miles on the clock, I have to say it's much better screwed together and feels like it will last a lot longer than the Auris.

The Auris and current generation Corolla share the same floorplan, and in Europe, the same engines, etc. In some European countries the Corolla is still sold in saloon/sedan form only. Looking at the Toyota.ie website, the Corolla saloon is the same width as the Auris, approx 30mm lower in height, and looks very similar. The doors are different, and the saloon doesn't have the small window between the front doors and the windscreen. The dashboard seems identical with the same raised bridge feature housing the gearlever, heating/air controls, and radio/CD.

The Turkey factory has an annual production capacity of 60,000 Auris's, made up of the Auris 3 door and the Auris van. The Derby factory produced over 23,000 five door Auris's and over 33,000 Auris Hybrids during 2011.

Realistically I suppose somewhere in the region of 100-120,000 Auris's were produced for the European market in 2011.

• 11 months later...

How does the 2012 Auris compare to Corolla in build quality?

Which Corolla are you comparing the 2012 Auris to?? The 2002-2006 Corolla that was built in Derby? Or the 2012 Corolla that is built in Japan?

Little point in comparing the 2002 Corolla to the 2012 Auris as the build standards are ten years apart, and time/economics have moved on.

That would be the Derby one since we cannot get the 2012 JP in EU.

My father in law (Japanese) had a Corona (prob. from the JP 2002-2006 period. I felt very solid.

I guess what I'm afraid of is that the 2012 std. build quality is lower than the old cars.

Specifically, I wonder about the Auris 2012 in the cabin: lots of different plastics and what about the alu like dashboard on the passenger's side?

Bit like comparing apples and pears really.

I had a 2006 Corolla Colour Collection, and that had some nice detail touches like rubber mats in the base of the door pockets (which helped reduce things rattling and sliding about), lining of a couple of the interior storage compartments with felt, etc. The top of the dashboard was soft touch plastics as well. However the one drawback with the dashboard was it was made in two halves: the upper part contained all of the instrument panel, air vents and stereo, with the lower part making up the centre console, glovebox, etc - see http://www.carcollery.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/2006-toyota-corolla-compressor-dashboard.jpg
Sometimes the lower part used to drop slightly, making a visible gap between the lower and upper parts.

One drawback with the seat material on the Corolla was that some people experienced water staining from rainwater dripping onto the seats when doors were opened - this was due to the fire retarding treatment Toyota used on the material. Believe some seat covers were replaced under warranty. As far as I'm aware the Auris had no such problems.

By the time the first generation Auris came along in 2007, Toyota had moved onto using hard plastics for the interior trim - similar to Mazda (323 compared to the 3), Ford, etc. Owners of early models (eg 2007) had more problems with scratching trim, rattles, etc - although I had no similar issues with the 2009 Auris I bought new.

The 2010 Auris facelift addressed some of the criticisms, - soft touch plastic on the upper glovebox lid and on top of the instrument cluster for example.

Reductions in cost also included not finishing non-visible interior surfaces with a top coat of paint - again this is now common amongst most manufacturers - , etc.

The 'metallic' finish on the dashboard of my Corolla lasted just as well as the silver/gunmetal type finish on my 2009 Auris facia - as will the trim on my 2012 Auris. So I would suggest the aluminium type finish on the current Auris will be similar.

At the end of the day, the design of the Corolla dates back to before 2002 - ten years earlier than the current Auris - so standards will be different.