Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 1.8 1999 Idling At 1600 After Being Off Road For 2 Months

tonos

For financial reasons my Avensis was in the driveway for a few months. I have been using the car for the past week, but it now seems to be idling at 1600rpm. It used to sit steadily at about 700. I thought that it would have corrected itself by now - thinking that it may be due to it being parked-up - but have done a number of miles since then and don't know what to check for.

I am no expert when it comes to cars, but am willing to try and repair it myself if anyone can give me a few pointers?

The idling isn't erratic, it just appears to be too high compared to what it was a few months ago before being off the road for two months.

Hi T,

I was wondering if wildlife got into the engine bay. Make sure the wiring has not been gnawed or damaged. Check the airfilter and make sure the tempature sensor is in place and okay. Make sure the induction pipe from the air filter to the throttle body is in place. Also check the vacuum pipes for leaks. Basically make a visual check for anything unusual. The throttle should have free movement and the cable should be clean.

Did you have the Battery disconnected whilst off road? The ecu may need resetting - pull the efi fuse.

These are only ideas to try but you may need to see a mechanic.

Things can stick through lack of of use,more so if a car is not garaged.

i Suppoe you checked the throtte pedal is fully returning and not being stopped doing so by things like mats.

Does it happen when aircon is on or off.

I have cleaned out throttle body and checked for anything unusual; such as split hoses etc. I have pulled out and replaced the fuse for the ecu (efi).

It only races when at a standstill. If i'm driving slowly in a high gear the rpm acts normal, ie. rpms go below current idling speed. So i am thinking it might be a sensor of some sort.

Could it be a temp. sensor? If so where is it located?

If anyone has any other ideas what to check, I would be willing to give it a go.

p.s. I have done over 100 miles since putting the car back on the road, so i know it's nothing to do with the fuel.

I have cleaned out throttle body and checked for anything unusual; such as split hoses etc. I have pulled out and replaced the fuse for the ecu (efi).

It only races when at a standstill. If i'm driving slowly in a high gear the rpm acts normal, ie. rpms go below current idling speed. So i am thinking it might be a sensor of some sort.

If anyone has any other ideas what to check, I would be willing to give it a go.

p.s. I have done over 100 miles since putting the car back on the road, so i know it's nothing to do with the fuel.

While the engine is idling at 1600rpm tap the idle speed contol valve on the underside of the throttle body using a rubber mallet and see if the rpms drop this area tends to build up with slight carbon but when the vehicle is left lying it the carbon hardens causing the valve difficulty when sliding .hope this helps .a gud clean with any carb cleaner will free it out once there is no scoring but it must be removed for proper inspection

Problem solved!

I was ready to remove the throttle body and check for a seized valve, after looking at a youtube posting, with a toyota suffering from the same symptoms.

I had ruled out it being a simple spray of a cleaning fluid onto the butterfly area, as I had covered several miles since doing so, and it still revved up too much. However on my way home last night, I stopped at the final set of traffic light before my house, only to notice that it was now idling at 1000rpm. I drove round the block and by the time i stopped at the next junction the revs had lowered to the original settings before it was off the road.

I have been using the car - starting and stopping - since it remedied itself and can only assume that the valve in the throttle body has freed-up.

Thanks for your help, as I didn't relish having to go to a garage for them to rip me off, for parts and labour costs for a ten minute job.

T

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links