Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Warning Light

Chris Home

Hi there,

Yesterday the brake warning light came on (same light as handbrake). Still coming on today but goes off when braking hard. Today after being parked up in work all day, there was a clunk when I released handbrake and drove off (came from passenger rear wheel I think), not sure if these are related.

Wondered if this was brake disc sticking, dont imagine this would cause warning light to come on though.

Anyone any idea what might cause this light to come on?

I have a 2002 D4D. 190k on clock.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Chris

I think there's an issue in the disc break, Don't quite sure about it.

Check the basics. jack up the wheels and make sure that the handbrake is releasing on both wheels. After driving check around the wheels with your hand to see if any are abnormally hot from a sticking brake. If brakes seem ok the warning light may indicate a fault in the system.

Fitter

The handbrake warning light usually doubles up as a "brake fluid low" warning light.

If your brakes are getting a bit worn then there will be more brake fluid being used by the pistons in the calipers and therefore less left in the reservoir. If it's low then topping it up should get rid of the light, but then when you fit new brakes there will be too much in the reservoir and it'll overflow.

The handbrake on the 03 onwards model is old fashioned shoes operated by a cable and therefore shouldn't affect the fluid level. Not sure if the pre 03 model is the same.

Hope this helps :)

I had a simular issue with my landcruiser and as daft as it sounds, check the brake fluid level, this would explain why it goes out when braking hard, as the fluid levl moves forward, no harm in looking !

Regards,

Nick.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links