Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mechanical Part Of Turbo Sheared Off And Damaged Turbo And Intercooler

ricky_k

Hello all,

You may remember me from the post on "Verso T180 2.2D Acceleration" which is marked as a "HOT" issue and I thank you all for the good advice that was given where eventually Toyota UK agreed to pay for the partial engine replacement and the DPF change. You probably also are not aware that further to this, the car had an oil leak and I had to take it back to the garage to fix this.......So, now a NEW problem occurred when driving from London to Nottingham at the weekend. Coming off the A46, the car just went into LIMP MODE, but no diagnostics on the dashboard. AA suspected it was DPF fault again, but the Toyota Garage have come back to me and said to me that there was a mechnical part of the Turbo (i.e. a nut) and that has been sheared off and gone into the turbo and also the intercooler and has damaged both of these parts that would need replacing. The total cost will be circa £2000 with the labour being £816.

I told the garage about the catalogue of problems with my car, and I would ask a couple of questions to you:

(1) Have I just had bad luck here with the nut shearing off and damaging the parts? Could it have been avoided by the garage doing a check of the turbo at service intervals? It seems as though Toyota say that at servicing, they do not check the Turbo.

(2) In my unfortunate case of having the engine replacement and DPF change, I find it strange why Toyota did not check the Turbo, though I would state that the Turbo has not blown, but just the shearing of a mechanical part has damaged the turbo and intercooler.

Toyota UK will NOT pay a penny towards the costs because it is out of warranty and because of the mileage (its only 67K!!). I implored with them that my situation seems to be different to a standard turbo failure and also the issues with my car do not bode well for the image of Toyota, but I have hit a brick wall with them.

So, the CRUCIAL QUESTION is whether anyone else has experienced this type of issue. Is it something that is well documented and people have had the same issue happen to them?

I am mindful that I have had goodwill from Toyota already with the DPF issue which has had a lot of press. However, my car (T180 2.2D CAT) is worth £5000 only now and so a bill of £2000 would not go down well with me.

What advice would you give?

It seems that inevitably it has to be fixed, but I am wondering if there is someone out there that has experienced the same issue and whether the issue could have been avoided.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,

Ricky.

Sorry to hear that Ricky and agree that its not the normal `blown turbo` scenario,

I dunno what advice to offer.

I`ve read about a stray nut/bolt damaging a turbo before, it wasn`t a Toyota I think it was a Jaguar posted on a Jaguar forum.

I can`t remember the outcome but I know there was some dispute where the nut/bolt had come from :mellow:

Hopefully the broken piece has remained in one piece and been trapped in the intercooler and hasn't disintegrated and entered the engine.

If the turbo shaft has sheared allowing the but to escape it is probably due to metal fatigue or incorrect fitting. Neither of these faults could have been detected by a visual inspection of the turbo.

If you are going to be stuck with the cost of a full repair it may be worth seeking prices from an indpendent garage as it may be possible to source a reconditioned turbo and have the intercooler repaired.

Sounds like the dealership have balls up the repair of your engine replacement/rebuild, nuts should not come off, more like they lost one, and now its shown its face........ No idea how the nut has busted the intercooler as well....It must have been a super nut, with magic powers.

I would get pictures of all the damage and post them on here..........

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Thanks for the advice. Argued this issue with Toyota UK Customer Services, many phone calls. In the end, they were steadfast. They were not going to budge on giving me any goodwill on this. I have the same opinion as "jedi134" that I think the garage ballsed up the original repair of the partial engine replacement and DPF, but there is no way I can prove that. A nut shearing off is quite strange in my opinion, and it happened soon after they did the engine replacement. Seems not like coincidence to me. Anyway, in the end, I took the hit - a bit hit! Cost was £2446.84. I had an opportunity to try and flog the car as a part exchange to a Toyota Garage, but they would have taken into account the repairs, so I would not have got much for the car. Anyway, now the car is great, though there is a slight whining sound when the car accelerates and the turbo kicks in. It does not bother me that much. Sounds a bit like Knightrider car (Kit). Would you agree that there is nothing to worry about this noise?

The big question is whether I now get rid of the car, though I am at pains exactly what car I would get (similar MPV). Anyway, I am hoping I do not have to post again with new issues.

Thanks again,

Ricky.

I would thought the noise was the turbo spooling up Ricky

Hello all,

Thanks for the advice. Argued this issue with Toyota UK Customer Services, many phone calls. In the end, they were steadfast. They were not going to budge on giving me any goodwill on this. I have the same opinion as "jedi134" that I think the garage ballsed up the original repair of the partial engine replacement and DPF, but there is no way I can prove that. A nut shearing off is quite strange in my opinion, and it happened soon after they did the engine replacement. Seems not like coincidence to me. Anyway, in the end, I took the hit - a bit hit! Cost was £2446.84. I had an opportunity to try and flog the car as a part exchange to a Toyota Garage, but they would have taken into account the repairs, so I would not have got much for the car. Anyway, now the car is great, though there is a slight whining sound when the car accelerates and the turbo kicks in. It does not bother me that much. Sounds a bit like Knightrider car (Kit). Would you agree that there is nothing to worry about this noise?

The big question is whether I now get rid of the car, though I am at pains exactly what car I would get (similar MPV). Anyway, I am hoping I do not have to post again with new issues.

Thanks again,

Ricky.

Ask yourself this question.

Did the original turbo whine when you got the car - if not then the new one shoudn't.

You don't say exactly which nut ot bolt sheared and ended up in the intercooler. If it was a nut which retained either of the turbo blades then there would have been no need to touch during when it was transferred form one engine to another.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links