Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Engine Changed... Not Starting Now.

ROBBIE82

Hi all first time post here. I have a 2002 1litre yaris which recently did the cylinder head in. Engine in general is not in good condition so have decided to put another engine in. On doing this i discovered that the cam sensor on the replacement engine has 2 wire and mine has 3 wire and is slightly longer. Also the knock sensor in rear of block is different. Anyway i swapped these over and airgapped the cam sensor so it was same distance as the old one etc. The engine will not start at all ......... I have air fuel & spark, timing marks are good & its up on cyl 1 TDC.

After looking into this i found that my engine is a french made engine ???????? The one i have installed is a jap made engine. Has anyone came across this or have a solution as i rang about 10 breakers and there is no french made engines available ........

A friend of mine plugged it into diagnostics and it shows a cam fault but he says thats only because it is not starting and will show on anycar if it just keeps turning over etc. There was a vvti fault also but it was a stored fault and has not shown up again.

ANY HELP HERE on getting this engine going or am i going to have to get another engine ?

Yaris all sorted !

French yaris engine to jap engine or jap to french engine only changes are the knock sensor to rear & cam sensor / air gap pick up ( as one sensor is longer than the other ) and the only real work was exactly as said above. There is a crank pick up gear inside the chain casing. Strip off cover and swap gear over as the toothed pick up is different on the two engines giving a wrong timing reading.

Started first turn of key & back on road. Cheers lads for the info.

Glad it's sorted..

And thanks for telling us :-)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links