Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replace The Tweeters In An 09 Sr?

Paul E

I have a 2009 Yaris SR and am thinking of replacing the headunit and the front door Speakers and tweeters (with component speakers). Lots of threads on the american forums about replacing headunits and door Speakers, but I can find nothing about replacing the OEM tweeters. If possible I would like to put my new tweeters behind the existing grilles for neatness. Reading the Yaris manual I am nervous of messing with the A pillars since there are airbags there.

So - anyone done this? Is it possible to get the tweeter grills and/or tweeters off the A pillars without removing the entire A pillar inside trim? I have tried (gently) to remove the tweeter grills (sort of rounded off triangles) and they don't seem easy to remove - didn't want to break anything.

And does anyone know how the OEM door Speakers and tweeters are wired? Just wondering whether to remove the existing wiring or re-use it, is there a crossover somewhere? (I would need to replace it with the one from the new speakers if so).

Any and all input would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

And in case anyone else wants to know, I have now answered my own question, via a circuit diagram from a "usually reliable source".

In a 2009 UK Yaris with the 6 speaker setup (2 front, 2 back and 2 tweeters) the front door Speakers and the front tweeters on each side are wired in parallel. The wiring seems to go from the HU to the tweeters on each side and then down into the doors.

This means -

- that the tweeters at least must have a cap mounted on each tweeter to roll off the low frequencies

- that the front door Speakers may have a choke mounted on the back to filter out the high frequencies (different part number to the normal 4 door speakers)

- that putting component Speakers with crossovers into such a system is going to be tricky using the existing wiring!

Not rushing into action now, having a bit of a think!

Paul

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links