Do Not Sell My Personal Information

40K Service

forevered

my car was booked into my local dealer for its 40k service,yesterday, and when it was returned to me (collection and delivery service) i checked the service paperwork and to my annoyance i found they had done the 50k service (minor service) not the full service 40k

i went into the dealer in person over easter to book it in and showed them the servive plan 30k (done last year) 40k and 50k, all paid for also showed them my toyota service book and pointed out even though it had a stamp on the 40k service this infact was a minor 30k service done by themselfs last year, the reason for this is it had a service when only 8 months old 4300 miles probably when it was sold next service at only 13k then 22k 31k the guy agreed and fully understood that the next service should be 40k, benfield toyota will have all the service details on there system as they have done all the services so there was no excuse for a misunderstanding, anyway i went into the dealer today to complain the service manager looked at my service sheet and said they had ticked the 10k minor service boxes by mistake i didnt believe him and told him to investigate, he came back to me and admitted they had infact done the 50k minor service probably because somone looked at my service book and got confused, at no point did they ring me to ask me about it they just went ahead and did the wrong service.to make matters worse the service manager said dont worry when your 50k service is due next year we will do a full service instead of a minor one to make up for it . i refused and said this wasnt acceptable and could compromise the reliability value etc of my car so he said i could book it back in next week to have the work carried out that should have been done yesterday. they were quick to phone me yesterday during the service to tell me it needed its brake fluid changing as it hadnt been done for 2 years , i told them i had it done at its last service with them and so didnt need doing and told them to check there records which he did and admitted he was wrong (why didnt he do this before phoning me ? ) then he told me my hand brake had to much travel in it and needed adjusting at a cost of £40, this i wasnt having either as i told him i had had new rear discs and pads fitted only about 2 months ago by them and it shouldnt need adjusting so soon, he agreed and said they would do it at no cost. so why didnt they mention they were doing a 50k minor service when they called to try and load the bill. when i was there i saw the job sheet and somebody had crossed out the 40k full service request and hand written 50k ! anyway i have emailed the dealer principal today to complain, so will see what he has to say if he can be bothered to reply.

Personally as a tech I wouldn't follow the dealers service intervals they are far to long of mileage out of filters they don't take into account of poor diesel , dusty conditions. come on manufactures 40,000 miles for a air filter and fuel filter change it should be done at 20,000 miles u would be better buying Toyota parts and getting an independent garage to carry out your servicing to me dealer history is only a stamp

Personally as a tech I wouldn't follow the dealers service intervals they are far to long of mileage out of filters they don't take into account of poor diesel , dusty conditions. come on manufactures 40,000 miles for a air filter and fuel filter change it should be done at 20,000 miles u would be better buying Toyota parts and getting an independent garage to carry out your servicing to me dealer history is only a stamp

100% Agree with the above genuine parts along with a breakdown of service items with the Toyota Invoice is far cheaper than a dealer "Stamp" + you know exactly which items have been replaced

Agree with you there on the air filter. I wouldnt leave it in ANY car for 40k / 4 years!

I serviced my car last nite 30,000 on it and I replaced oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter,pollen filter, rear wiper,rear brake pads freed up front pads that were binding . The fuel and air filter was as black as the road. I wouldn't of liked to pay mr t for that service. they would of only have changed the oil and filter

When my car was returned from last 4 years service the coolant level was below minimum, air filter was not touched and front pads were binding. I didn't mention the pads thing as it was very obvious so they should have noticed it. When I bought toyota service plan we had discussion about what is included and they agreed that brake fluid change will be covered. Now they stated no fluid change required despite last one was over 2 years ago. This is frustrating because each time you have to call them or write the letters, book car again and waist your time so they can kindly do the job properly.

It's a sad fact that some dealers are better than others. I have a polite, friendly local Toyota dealer who re-secured my undertray after the snow had dislodged it - for free ! Okay it was only a small job, but many garages would have charged for it. I'm not so keen on the Toyota dealer in the next city to me as their attitude is nowhere near as customer friendly. They also refused point-blank to service a Supra I owned a few years back ! It was in immaculate condition but needed a cambelt done on time expiry - not even vaguely interested . . . . . .

• 5 years later...

Hi all,

I've been using the Toyota essential servicing (major / minor) each year for my 1.4 D4D.

From what I can see, the only item missing is fuel filter (40k) and pollen filter (20k) - is there anything else I should keep my eye out for in regular items?