Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deisel Particulate Filter

chizz1uk

woops....just been pulled over by police....."DPF needed cleaning officer...."

"OK Sir....drive on....."

Most DPFs regenerate at speeds of over 40mph and 2k revs for 20 mins/20miles

Well I have never driven at 40mph in my life......

Reverend Sister Kevina (seriously but....thanks for info....always wondered how it works.

woops....just been pulled over by police....."DPF needed cleaning officer...."

"OK Sir....drive on....."

Most DPFs regenerate at speeds of over 40mph and 2k revs for 20 mins/20miles

Well I have never driven at 40mph in my life......

Haha maybe I should`ve said at a minimum of 40 mph Kev :D

Ford Mondeos suffer from dpf issues too they can't be used as mummy trucks or taxis for too long round the houses. Only way to keepem from getting clogged is long motorway journeys. Not sure if it's an MoT failure if you takem out.

Good grief.

The DPF on RAV T-180 is a DPF and a NOx trap. There is no need to do anything different to regenerate them, the 5th injector operates to heat the unit up and clear any deposits. You do not have to drive like a 'Bank robber'. The ECU will operate the 5th injector when it sees a pressure difference over the filter, you will not notice when it happens, it takes only a couple of minutes.

A dealer can do a forced regeneration in circumstances where the car has been unable to regen itself (Rare under normal conditions). The forced regen is not to rev the ***** off it like Nissan (Renault in drag). The procdure is to drive at a steady speed whilst the tech operates the regen.

The problems RAV have with DPNR/DPFs is blocking due to oil consumption (Common AD engine fault) and not using low ash oil (ACEA C2).

Yes, ... visit each year due service Mr. T (engine oil and all filter change) + after every 5k "Forte DFP cleaner + after every 10k EGR valve cleaning + always premium diesel fuel ..... and you'll be happy! :yes:

The system measures the pressure on each side of the particulate filter to determine if it is blocked. Obviously it is easier to detect when the engine is under power/revving and for some drivers this is less often. However, while it may not be doing it "all the time" it is doing it frequently especially for some drivers. The system also detects exhaust temperature and injector volume and goes into a NOx and sulphur poison reduction phase. Changing up early and driving steady will reduce the frequency but while it is operating for particulate (PM), NOx and sulphur reduction all 4 of the injectors AND the 5th injector are pumping additional fuel into the engine and exhaust.

These PDFs kind of understate the occurance by refering to "fuel efficiency drops" or "fuel efficiency momentarily drops" during these cycles. The trick is to use good quality low sulphur fuel and reduce the amount of times the cycles occur - take it easy!!!

DPNR.pdf

DPNR 2.pdf

Charlie

1 Oil consumption

2 The 5th injector is running all the time to balance emmissions, not really to purge the DPF. Some cars have a chemical injector to clean the DPF and some have to be stripped and cleaned. The RAV self purges every so often automatically at which time it can be seen throwing clag out of the exhaust.

Tatteam

Charlie's explanation of knowing about a D-Cat is probably easiest but to summarise, yours doesn't.

Also, I think so mine doesn't have the 5th injector either...???

......The RAV self purges every so often automatically at which time it can be seen throwing clag out of the exhaust .....

Think I saw this on my SR today for the first time. Pulling away from a roundabout and going up a fairly steep slip road, looked in the mirror and saw a cloud of blue smoke just in front of the car behind me (unless it was the Golf TDi in front and the smoke went under my car first?)

......The RAV self purges every so often automatically at which time it can be seen throwing clag out of the exhaust .....

Think I saw this on my SR today for the first time. Pulling away from a roundabout and going up a fairly steep slip road, looked in the mirror and saw a cloud of blue smoke just in front of the car behind me (unless it was the Golf TDi in front and the smoke went under my car first?)

Well, my 2,4 duratorque (ford) engined Taxi has chugged around town for 310,000mls, before test inc emissions twice a year, we are advised to run it flat out in third and only ease off when the car behind vanishes in a cloud of black smoke and horns start Blaring!!!! :blowup::toot: :toot: :toot: Stew

From my own experience of the Alfa-Fiat -Saab -Vauxhall CDTI DPF issues.....I have heard it said that if you soley drive urban speeds then you shouldn't consider a diesel engine fitted with a DPF / EGR valve engine. These diesel engines need to be driven at over 60mph for 20 - 30 minutes minimum for engines to re gen and burn off the built up of gunk!.....to me completely bonkers but true! Fortunately I drove a lot of km's and mostly motorways so it was never an issue for me ( I had sh@t loads of others though! ). If you drive only a few miles a week and mostly city driving...I would think twice about any modern oil burner.......

Good Luck either way!

A

I think you'll find even city cars that meet euro 5 have dpf's now.