Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5 Windscreens!

Rx8dave

Hi

First post and a query really. Had a quick search but couldn't find any relevant posts. I inhereted my 60 plate Avenisis TR Tourer company car in June last year. Within two days I had a chip which developed into a crack almost immediately. Autoglass replaced screen and I have since covered approximately 30k with a further 3 screens being replaced, the last one just three weeks ago. Driving home tonight picked up a small chip which within 5 minutes was another 5" crack. My question is have i been unlucky, are the replacement screens up to OEM quality (Autoglass always used) or is there a fundamental issue with my car. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave

Look at the corner of your windscreen usually oem glass in cars are pilkington glass some company's use cheap glass Which can chip and crack easy

I've never cracked a windscreen. 240k miles. You're oddly unlucky. I would not stand next to you during a thunderstorm!

I would check to see what window autoglass has fitted. Most likely it is a generic oem window that they will claim is the same as toyota fit. Im my experince it isnt. Best thing to do is find a new avensis in a deal and check out the window codes/ manufacturer detials on it and if it doesnt match your then its not a toyota one and most likely the generic rubbish.

See here for details on car window markings:

http://www.carwindshields.info/

http://www.carwindshields.info/windshieldmarkings.htm

With those links you could work out where the toyota glass and where the autoglass comes from.

Im my experince autoglass fitted a Surglass(spelling?) replacement even tho i specifically asked for a toyota one through insurers. Could tell instantly that is was poorer quality due to the cabin noise levels had to turn the radio up 5 levels and couldnt have a converstion to a front seat passenger on the motorway. Kicked up a fuss with autoglass and insurance and they were both being reticent. Lucky a week after fitting, minus 15c plus some morning sunshine combined to put a massive foot long+ crack along the bottom fritz (black edging of a window). Kicked up a bigger fuss due to replacement being rubbish and knowing where the windows were made and where toyota branded windows were made I got a toyota one fitted and not had any problems since. Autoglass want to use there oem one as it is cheaper lots cheaper for them something i was told something like £250 ish compared to a toyota one of over £700.

Hope you can get it sorted. its a pain loosing time to some one else cutting corners.

Well what are the really cause of this if they have crack?

Poor fitting can also contribute to any type of glass being more prione to failure so having an OE unit fitted is still no gaurantee if the numpty fitting it does a poor job. For instance if the incorrect adhesive is used the glass may be under tension therefore more suceptible to chipping and cracking. All bodywork flexes and the adhesive and/or seals need to allow a certain amount of movement betwee the glass and its frame.

Hi all, thanks for the responses. Took car to dealer, was not an OEM Toyota screen. Insurance company were good and agreed to investigate. Autoglass claim screen was made by pilkington as is the OEM screen. Anyway Autoglass have agreed to source screen direct from Toyota and should be fitted early/mid next week. Insurer also involved one of their investigators who asked if it had had a frontal collision, it hasn't but I wonder if there is a flex or body Shell issue/lack of welds that a few other have experienced, just a thought ......