Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis D-Cat (177Hp) With 190Tkm '07

teohirs

Hi all!

I'm about to buy a 5 year old toyota avensis d-cat with 190 000km in less than 5 years. Do you think that I'm crazy or is toyota really reliable car. The car was regularly maintained at authorized toyota service center every 15tkm.

BTW. I would really be happy if I could drive for next 70tkm without "bigger" investements.

Regards,

Teo

Any diesel vehicle wit 190k is gonna cause problems .diesel is a dirty fuel and leaves alot of particulate matter after the fuel is burnt in the cyl.manufacturers deal with theese pm and nox harmfull gases by using egr and dpf .theese two systems and the quality of fuel in ireland and uk make having a high milage diesel vehicle just not worth the hassel or expense do yourself a favour buy urself a cheap petrol or hybrid vehicle

Personally, if the price is right I would have a look at the car since for a diesel the mileage isn't too high. Also I assume with such mileage in relatively short time, its been on the motorway a lot which isn't the worst and plus its been serviced regularly. Just check with a dealer that the services have been recorded on their system as well.

In terms of reliability well no one can say for certain that 'nothing' will go wrong, you are buying a product so should have some spare cash handy for the 'just in case' moment. that said, just look out for any head gasket issues, the earlier found the better!

Oh and don't be too worried about every squeek and rattle, no point being paranoid.

Finally, enjoy the car! :)

11500€.

@Jas16 - thanks, that was a nice advice - I'm thinking the sam way you do and I'm also aware that when you are buying an old/used car without any warrenty, it's only a metter of risk you are willing to take.

"... that said, just look out for any head gasket issues, the earlier found the better! " -- since I'm not native English speaker, I'm not sure if I understand this well, but the previous owner hade some problems with head gasket and the cooling system and it cost him about 800£ to fix it (water pump, head gasket, thermostate). Since every single service was made in toyota, I hope that give certain security in the near future.

BTW. here is the link of that car

http://www.njuskalo.hr/auti/toyota-avensis-2.2-d-cat-executive-kao-nov-oglas-4767662

Regards,

Teodor

It sounds scandalously expensive to me, ie around double what it should be (if it was the UK anyway). The person selling that one should be wearing a mask and holding a gun!

I'm not sure which exact model is the D Cat but according to Parkers a clean top of the range T180 2.2 diesel on a 57 plate (late 07/early 08) with 50k miles on it should retail at £8000 - £8500, and should sell privately for £5500 - £7250. One like you mention with an inter-galactic 120k miles would go through auction here for £3500 on a good day, would sell privately for £4000, and retail at £5000 tops. Converting that to Euros and I'd say yours is worth 5000 euros, maybe 6000 if it's perfect and comes with a decent warranty. Have a look on Auto Trader to confirm prices.

The 2.2 diesel engine (which is also fitted to Lexus) is plagued by cylinder head problems. Toyota extended their warranty to, I believe, 100k or 7 years to cover it - but yours is outwith that range anyway. Have a browse through this forum to confirm the extent of this problem. If that's not enough they're also rubbish on fuel economy. ie some people are around low 30's to the gallon.

As has previously been posted pretty much all modern diesels need expensive repairs once they're over 100k miles or so. I'd say you'll spend a small fortune keeping that car on the road for another 50k miles unless the expensive things have already been done, and when you try to sell it with around 200k miles you'll get buttons for it.

Over here you can buy a new shape 09 reg 2.0 diesel with 30k on it from a dealer with a warranty for around your £9000. Although the smaller diesel engine still has some cyliner head problems they're nowhere near as common, and you'd have a low miler car which should run your next 50k miles with little maintainance costs.

Have you also considered a petrol? They're pretty bulletproof except regular maintainance, and they're surprisingly good on fuel. ie the 1.8 petrol will return somewhere between 35 - 50 mpg depending on how you drive. You could pick up a new shape 09 reg with 15k miles on it for your £9000 here.

Hope this helps :)

Hi,

first of all, thanks on all your replays. In Croatia, the cars are a little bit more expensive, without any good reason.

Considering all posts and reply's, I'm really not sure what kind of car to buy - the only good option would be a new car (which btw. I can't afford ), but I'm not sure about that either.

I won't give any 11000€ for a new hyunday i30 beacuse it is an ugly car, and I want buy a peugeot or renault with 50 tkm since no one trust them ( including me). The only cars that should be durable are the ones build in Japan (at least that is what they say), but it looks like they are also rubbish since they can't go more than 200tkm without changing 60% of car. How is that that my old seat cordoba (I'm the first owner) with 225 tkm didn't cause me any troubles for 14 years? Is there a car that can go over 200tkm that is better equipped that skoda and looks nice?

Considering the fact that if one searches for a problem with any car, one will find it, also with petrol as well with hybrid or lpg, I'm not sure if I'll buy that particular car, but now I have learned that you should spend to much time by asking forum people for advice, because you'll never buy any car at all :).

Regarding price: yes the car is expensive in relation to UK, but new Toyoty like this costs in Croatia 38t€ and ther's no way to find it much cheaper than thirs. How much is it in UK?

However, thank you for your time and sorry if I sounded roughly, but it's a little bit frustrating when you can't find a good car to buy.

Kind regards,

Teodor

The only cars that should be durable are the ones build in Japan (at least that is what they say), but it looks like they are also rubbish since they can't go more than 200tkm without changing 60% of car. How is that that my old seat cordoba (I'm the first owner) with 225 tkm didn't cause me any troubles for 14 years?

Well, the Avensis is assembled in the UK, the 2.2 D4D engine is built in Poland ...

But really it's modern turbo-diesel engines that have become too complicated with DPFs, DMFs, EGRs etc. etc.

The older Toyota diesels were bulletproof as well.

Regarding price: yes the car is expensive in relation to UK, but new Toyoty like this costs in Croatia 38t€ and ther's no way to find it much cheaper than thirs. How much is it in UK?

The T180 isn't sold in the UK anymore but if it was as the top of the range it would probably list at around €34,000 on the road incl. taxes etc.. but hopefully one would negotiate a discount.

A used car of age/mileage like you are looking at would probably be around €4500.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a car identical to the one you want, from Germany. The price was 7000 euro. Toyota Avensis 2.2 D-CAT executive, full leather, DVD navigation, xenon headlights, etc. The car was inspected in a Toyota service and had no technical problem. It was also checked its history and had only minor accidents. 190000 km for a diesel is not much, most go up to 500 K without any engine problem. I know this from experience!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links