Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long Drive In A 4.2 Automatic Recently

Big Kev

....and can see why folk like Firemac Jim wax lyrically about them. Picked up a low mileage (33k) 2004 XT3 trim one in Subikhorpe for a neighbour's wife as he is working abroad long term, so choice of marque and trim and even price was doon to me. I was absolutely stunned at how smooth a drive (and gearbox) it actually had and would recommend harwholetedly to anyone swithering re auto or not (and yes I was well warned and armed to test for known ECU / changing problems.)

As a matter of interest, seller had fitted it with 4 budgetty tyres (Nexen) as part of the deal. I can also say without fear of contraception I drove it back in Crowded House conditions....four seasons in one day, and they really are very impressive tyres both in ride comfort and roadholding. Best attribute was standard of roadnoise, my biggest hangup with any vehicle.

Any members looking for a trustworthy car showroom around Sunny Scunny.......Greencactus Cars.

Big Kev.....EDITATION: "Subikhorpe" is in North Lincolnshire FFS!!

Nicely lyrically waxed, BK. Only problem we have is knowing what to replace them with when they finally come to the end of their economic life. Of the 30-odd cars I've owned (not to mention the dozens I've had use of, rented, etc.) the 4.2 has been the all round best.

And yes, the autobox is one of the best I've ever experienced.

Sounds a good little motor you found there, Kev :). Did you notice the economy on the run back north? That was the only downside of the 4.2 petrol I thought but the auto doesn't seem to hurt on that model.

I think I would have a little problem going to manual now. The SR autobox is so smooth and so hassle-free in traffic (had my first bad traffic yesterday since moving up here 3 years ago! - hold up on M90 coming back from Perth)

Sounds a good little motor you found there, Kev :). Did you notice the economy on the run back north? That was the only downside of the 4.2 petrol I thought but the auto doesn't seem to hurt on that model.

I think I would have a little problem going to manual now. The SR autobox is so smooth and so hassle-free in traffic (had my first bad traffic yesterday since moving up here 3 years ago! - hold up on M90 coming back from Perth)

Was scared to publish figures, David, for fear of ridicule.......OBC regularly showed between 34-36mpg....aye Popeye thought I.

Brim to brim after journey was JUST OVER 34 mpg....believe me officer, I was NOT hanging about...!!!!

Big Kev

Nlightenment dawns eh Kev!!

I completely agree with Jim and David,postings.

My first RAV was a auto and when that was so cruelly put down,it had to be replaced with likewise.

Its aways been a bit of a mystery to me that some peeps always say their motor has to have this or that on because it is an improvement (and I,m all for that)and then ignore the improvement on the gearbox.

As for not feelling in control they accept the car taking over with ABS and CC etc.

I have never ever felt that the auto box is in charge and not me!

Bring it on

Del

Well ..... a RAV4.2 with an accurate OBC? That is a novelty :) decent economy there. I am now getting around 38mpg with mine, so guess it is bedding in now :thumbsup:

Del, FWIW, if someone really does want to 'keep control' but get "lumbered" with the RAV4.3 auto, they can stick in it manual mode and use it as a sequential clutchless gearbox in effect. I have occasionally done that but after a few mins think 'why bother' as the auto mode does the job so well :yes:

Well ..... a RAV4.2 with an accurate OBC? That is a novelty :) decent economy there. I am now getting around 38mpg with mine, so guess it is bedding in now :thumbsup:

Del, FWIW, if someone really does want to 'keep control' but get "lumbered" with the RAV4.3 auto, they can stick in it manual mode and use it as a sequential clutchless gearbox in effect. I have occasionally done that but after a few mins think 'why bother' as the auto mode does the job so well :yes:

Yes, the OBC's on 4.2's seem to be of varying accuracy. The 02-reg's is dead accurate whilst the 54-reg's is about 15% optimistic (but does better mpg in any event). BK's return wasn't bad, I'd say.

On the replacement front, I've been toying with the idea of getting both of the cars professionally waxoyled to keep them structurally sound (no corrosion at all yet, apart from a brake pipe) assuming that the mechanical bits seem capable of going on for quite some time. Also, the design is such that they still look fresh and, on that score, I don't feel any compulsion to change.

The alloys were recently refurbed and are now like new, tyre wear is pretty good (40K + on average) & the bouncy bits all seem to be in good nick. The only costs are fuel, consumables & the dreaded ins/tax so why would I change?

Apart from an M5 maybe.............

I had a recent long run, around 8 hours, from Spain to Portugal and back, and that was with a dodgy injector, and a brim to brim tank gave nearly 34 mpg. :driving: With injector cleaned, the recent run to Alicante, 2 1/4 hours gives a computed 36 mpg. What is best about this car is the comfort. management generally gets back pain on long trips, and my last BMW was bad for her. Over 10 1/2 hours we did to Bilbao last year she had no problem in the RAV. The mind tells me to get a new car as ours is now 9, but the heart says stay with what we know. Now 115000km, and no problems! 2003 VVTi auto 5 door :flowers:

Just bought a 4.2 petrol Auto ...and pleasantly surprised by fuel economy too. Expected 30 ....from the various mags and road tests etc ..but actually getting 34. A most pleasant surprise. OK ..not hammering it, but longest journey only 15 miles in the 4 days I've owned it ...so first impressions are GOOD!

I'm getting 28MPG. City driving but like a Saint! :-(

Are Automatic Rav 4.2`s imported ravs?............I always thought they were....????

Or were they Uk dealer supplier?

Are Automatic Rav 4.2`s imported ravs?............I always thought they were....????

Our 02-reg was bought new in France and had to be ordered from Japan - took about 6 weeks.

Our 54-reg has a "Made in Japan" sticker in the windscreen.

Our 02-reg was bought new in France and had to be ordered from Japan - took about 6 weeks.

Our 54-reg has a "Made in Japan" sticker in the windscreen.

Car originated through Lindop Toyota in 2004.

Big Kev

I've been looking long and hard at the Rav and other manufacturer's auto equipped cars within the same class. (Im not going to mention which cos it will start a My cars better than those type argument as usual)

It seems the Rav Auto is no better or worse than the competition... All are crap in comparison to much bigger engined luxury cars with auto transmission...

In short the Rav diesel auto is in class at least not so bad... MMMmmmmmm

Horses for courses,Charlie?

Over the last 5000 miles my wifes 2002 Auto Rav has averaged 28.6 mpg, mainly short journeys I was going to fit a LPG kit but doing only 6000 miles a year it wasn't cost effective. She swore she would never have a automatic, but now would never drive anything else. I drive 100 miles a day in a Fiat Panda diesel, 75 mpg average. Cheap, but no where near a comfortable!

Pete