Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guide To Replacing Fuel Filter On Rav 4.3

webleymk3

The following advice is intended as a guide as to how to replace the fuel filter in a Toyota Rav 4, 4.3.

Tools Required:

• Non-latex gloves (do not underestimate the mess diesel will make of your hands.. nasty stuff!)
  • 10mm spanner or socket
  • Old rags or kitchen roll
  • Pipe grips
  • Jam jar

Removal

With the bonnet open, locate the fuel filter at the back right of the engine bay, behind the air filter:

photo+1-1.png

Remove the air filter by unclipping the three clips round the side and prising open from the front. Unscrew the clamp with either a large cross head screw driver or a 10mm socket (red circle). Disconnect the plug (blue circle):

photo+1-3.png

And remove the air filter itself:

photo+2.JPG

You can remove the lower section of the air filter housing but I did not feel this was necessary.

You'll notice there are four hoses connected to the fuel filter housing. Its very important you reconnect these later in the correct order.. Mine had been colour marked as you can see in the picture. the reality is you cannot connect them wrong as they are shaped and as such will sit in the right place when the new filter is fitted. To disconnect the hoses squeeze the clips with your fingers and slide them a few cm further up the hose away from the filter. This way they stay attached and you have no risk of losing them into the engine bay:

photo+3.JPG

Now slide the hose off the metal pipe. Have some kitchen roll or a rag ready as you will get some spillage out of some of the hoses.

With the hoses disconnected unscrew the bolt holding the fuel filter to the bracket using a 10mm socket or spanner:

photo+2.JPG

Unhook the cable from the bracket by sliding it horizontally then dropping it down. If you can disconnect the cable now then go ahead. Otherwise disconnect once you have the filter partially out and the connector is above the support bar in the picture. Be careful with this as this is a water sensor that sits within the filter. You need to re-use this bit and is probably not cheap to replace:

photo+1.JPG

The filter unit is now free to be removed from the car. Remove the cut out in the plastic trim directly above the filter by gently (but firmly) pulling it upwards. Then slide the filter unit up off the bracket and out:

photo.JPG

This is where i run out of photos as my hands were covered in diesel whilst changing the filter so taking pictures became impossible! Sorry!

First thing to do is to drain the filter. On the bottom you will see a drain plug. unscrew this until the diesel starts to flow. Pour this into a jam jar or similar.

a131639.png

Before it empties, close the valve again and shake the whole filter. this should free up some of the dirt so when you poor the rest of the diesel into the jar you should see a lot of the crud that was stuck in there... (Only if you're interested!):

This was my jam jar:

photo+3.JPG

Once the diesel is drained you need to unscrew the plastic sensor. If you cannot do this by hand use pipe grips or similar but be careful not to squeeze too hard. You do not want to damage the sensor. Once off you need to unscrew the filter itself. Again if necessary use pipe grips to slacken the filter and unscrew.

a131642.png

Installation:

Now do everything in reverse order with the new filter but considering the following points:

• Never reuse the o-rings you've taken off the filter. there will be a new one in the box. Use it.
  • Install the filter first. wet the o-rings with a touch of diesel or engine oil before tightening. Once tightened, do not slacken as you may not get the same good seal due to the o-ring reshaping.
  • Tighten the filter by hand until it makes contact then tighten another 3/4 turn (still by hand). I used pipe grips just to ensure the seal was there as i struggled to get the 3/4 turn by hand.
  • Fit the sensor again tightening by hand until firm. I gave it a tweak with the pipe grips because my hands were covered in diesel so could't ensure it was tight. DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN. You are screwing plastic into metal. Over-tightening risk stripping the plastic threads. If you do this you will need a new sensor.

Once reassembled, fit back into the car in the opposite order to removal. i.e.:

• Connect sensor cabling (Note when re-seating the connector to the bracket it pushes up from below opposed to sliding in as per removal)
  • Place filter onto bracket and screw into place using 10mm bold
  • Connect all hoses except the one with the arrow pointing away from the filter:

photo+2_23.png

You are now ready to prime the system...

With the hose still off and a rag over the end of the metal pipe, pump the black plunger:

photo+1-2.png

Pumping could take a couple of minutes so keep at it. The plunger will begin to go hard and the fuel will begin to flow out the open pipe. Stop pumping and reconnect the hose. Pump a little more to continue to push the diesel through. The plunger will become quite firm.

Remember to refit your air filter and the plastic trim directly above the filter before attempting to start the car!

Start the car. It may turn over a few times before taking. Once it starts it may sound rough as the air gets pushed out the system. Once it's idling happily rev it a bit and make sure all is running well.

Step back and admire your handiwork!!

------

Any inaccuracies or recommendations let me know and i'll fix it.

Webblers

• Like 1

Nice guide, very useful, needs to be pinned (but only after you've changed the first paragraph- "oil filter" to "fuel filter"!)

Dave

Nice guide, very useful, needs to be pinned (but only after you've changed the first paragraph- "oil filter" to "fuel filter"!)

Dave

Cheers dave. Changed it.

Nice one Dave.

You sure you've not been pond dipping or keeping tadpoles in that jam jar? That's what it looks like to me :).

Nice one Dave.

You sure you've not been pond dipping or keeping tadpoles in that jam jar? That's what it looks like to me :).

Dagnamit! You worked it out!

Will be pinned asap.

Nice work Dave.

Nice write up Wibllers.... Using those wee circle things helps with understanding the plot ..

I'd say it's almost worth a star!!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Useful guide, one further piece of information that may be of use; Changed my fuel filter today and could not get it to bleed/prime.

Spoke to an associate who works in a Toyota dealership and was informed this can happen on RAV D4Ds . Suggested filling the fuel filter with Diesel before assembly, (had to take mine back off!) and then turning the engine over. Usually the engine will catch, not immediately and then run.

• 1 year later...

Useful guide, one further piece of information that may be of use; Changed my fuel filter today and could not get it to bleed/prime.

Spoke to an associate who works in a Toyota dealership and was informed this can happen on RAV D4Ds . Suggested filling the fuel filter with Diesel before assembly, (had to take mine back off!) and then turning the engine over. Usually the engine will catch, not immediately and then run.

If you find that happening make sure the fuel intake tube is tightly sealed with no air getting in. That's the one at the back that goes straight up. Found that out after 10mins of pumping.

Incidently the pipe closest to that one is the one that supplies fuel to the engine via fuel pump; not the one with the arrow on top.

• 6 years later...

Just did the filter change on my rav4 2007, it started yesterday after I changed it and I ran it for a minute or so. Today it won’t start. Just turns over and over and doesn’t fire. Any tips on what might be wrong?

I primed the system with diesel coming out of the pipe with the arrow and then after fitting the tube to the pipe again.

Going to work tomorrow morning so need tips!

Thank you!