Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2.2D First To Second Gear Problems

big mally

When I change from 1st to 2nd, especially from cold, it is really quite clunky and certainly not smooth like the other gears. When coming down from 3rd to 2nd it very much less noticeable. I have had my local (non T) garage have a look and they apparently tightened up some of the cables and greased them, which helped a little (although this might just be psychological), but the problem is certainly still there. Is this something to worry about or should I get Mr T to have a look? I've had the car about 3 weeks with 72k on the clock and a full T service history.

Malcolm

I had the same problem with my gearbox. It was awful trying to get it into 1st when cold and always crunched into 2nd untill the box oil warmed up. I changed the oil to a straight 75w grade oil called Silkolen Pro SRG double ester oil and it made a World of difference to these triple synco boxes...

Thanks Taff, will give this a try. How much roughly would an indie charge to do the oil change?

The clunky change from first to second when cold seems to be a bit of a problem with a few models.

Mine can be a little reluctant unless a slow deliberate change is made.

Thanks Taff, will give this a try. How much roughly would an indie charge to do the oil change?

Its a really easy job to do yourself mate. But I guess that it would cost about 20 quid for there time. Takes about 30mins to do. Take a look on the Opie Oils site for the oil. Fuchs and Silkolene are the exact same stuff as Fuchs own them both...

Its a really easy job to do yourself mate. But I guess that it would cost about 20 quid for there time. Takes about 30mins to do. Take a look on the Opie Oils site for the oil. Fuchs and Silkolene are the exact same stuff as Fuchs own them both...

How much oil do I need? Will 1 litre do the job??

Malcolm

How much oil do I need? Will 1 litre do the job??

Malcolm

Hello Malcolm, 2.5 ltrs according to Opie at this link, according to my manual it says 1.9 ltr but the manual I have only covers the 2.0 d4d 5 speed box so the 2.2 d4d will be a different gearbox being 6 speed.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/product-finder/car/engine-oil/toyota/2007/avensis/DIESEL/avensis/33509/product-finder-2.aspx

Regards Pete.

Thanks Pete

No must be 75w low viscosity or ur problem will reoccur toyota part number 08885 81001 avaiable at your dealer 10 euro per ltr or ster eqivalent

Looking at the Opie Oils website and the Silkolene oil that Taff recommended it says that it is a high viscosity oil . Is the normal gear box oil that Mr T recommends low or high viscosity. Here is the info. from the Opie site:

About Silkolene PRO SRG 75 Full Ester Synthetic Ester Racing Gear Oil

A synthetic gear oil of SAE 75W viscosity developed exclusively for racing transmissions. This grade has a naturally high viscosity index (ensuring good low temperature performance) and excellent shear strength, as well as possessing an inherently excellent load carrying capability. The synthetic materials used for this formulation have an oxidation stability of 3 to 4 times that of conventional mineral oils, prolonging the effective life of the lubricant under extreme working conditions.

Its actually a 75w lv states that on both the data sheet on techdoc and the bottle and is stressed at every toyota meeting .we use genuine as we cannot find another oil with the same cold shift performance ive tried many

Thanks Kev - I'll take your word on this.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links