Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Lowering Springs?

aaronfife

We've both came to the decision the IQ needs a firmer ride. I'm looking for firmer springs but not wanting the car 'slammed'. I've researched in here and online and came to a few choices (Any other suggestions welcome)

H&R 35mm Springs

Spax 30mm Springs

PI 30mm Springs

I would like to know from the owners that have lowered there IQ, which is best? I hear the H&R ones are very good but being 35mm, they might be too low & how long will it be before the dampers give in?

My budget is £120 max and would be grateful to see photos of different options :thumbsup:

Thanks.

My IQ: Toyota IQ 1.0 (2009), 11,000 miles

See pages 2 and 3 of my thread http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129583&st=15.

I have the Eibach springs fitted, 25mm front and 30mm rear drop.

If you budget is £120, that will buy the springs, if you fit them yourself you will still need to get all the alignments checkes as the front will be out on camber and toe after lowering.

Thanks Mark for that information :) I've got a good mate who is a self employed mechanic so I'm sure he'llhelp with fitment. Few questions:

What are the Eibach springs like compared to standard? eg/ firmness/ride. They have great reviews on other cars so would rather swing towards them but the Spax and PI are cheaper...

Cheers

Have you tried Motorsport World for a price, I got mine from there for £120 (not sure if I linked there website in the above thread or not now).

They have improved cornering slightly due to less body roll, but I wouldn't say they feel any harsher over the std springs, bigger bumps in the road do feel harsher though if you know what it mean (the bumps you should really avoid).

My main reason for lowering the car was looks really. It looks more like an SUV at std height IMO.

I've got h&r like the majority of people go for. They were around £120 off eBay and I had them fitted, alligned etc for £100 at my local garage. So far so good; still goes over speed bumps etc just fine.

J

Yes a SUV is exactly what it looks like! I'll certainly look into them.

I had a look and there £130, which is bit overbudget but if I know there very good, I would invest.

Whats the ride like on H&R's Jordan?

I have a brand spanking new set of Eibach springs for the 1.0 version of the iQ sitting in my living room.

They are brand new, never fitted but the box is a bit tatty from postage and copious amounts of parcel tape used in the packaging! I bought them in error thinking they were the same for all iQ's but the springs are different for the 1.3 model which I have.

Eibach part number. E10-82-034-01-22

As I say, tatty box but brand new springs, never fitted and will offer a quoted 25mm drop on the front and 30mm on the rear. I have now ordered the correct Eibach springs for my car so have these ones available.

Drop me a PM if interested and maybe I can save you a few quid. :)

Craig.

Pm'd you mate :-)

Yes a SUV is exactly what it looks like! I'll certainly look into them.

I had a look and there £130, which is bit overbudget but if I know there very good, I would invest.

Whats the ride like on H&R's Jordan?

To be fair, the ride is a little harsher. It's not overly harsh where its uncomfortable, just it's noticeable on crappy roads. Usually it's fine. But the way the springs improve handling-you have to experience that yourself. So good!!

J

Thanks Jordan :-)

I've been told just lowering the IQ completely transforms the way it handles because of its weight and small characteristics. So just exploring options to make the correct decision.

Thanks Jordan :-)

I've been told just lowering the IQ completely transforms the way it handles because of its weight and small characteristics. So just exploring options to make the correct decision.

You're welcome mate :P you getting wheels for it too?

J

Keeping the 15's, always liked the clean lines of the IQ. Upgraded the lights and made a armrest so pretty happy once the springs get on :)

I can't decide on wheels either.

On one hand I really don't want to change them while they have plenty of tread on them and I like the look of my 16" wheels but it would be good if there just a bit further out in the arches.

Anyone tried wheel spacers although with studs and wheel nuts it becomes a bit more difficult to add them and keep a safe amount of thread engagement to hold the wheels on?

Craig.

Tbh I might change the 175 tyres for 185/195 in the future because the IQ is 4 stud.. Very limited to wheels. You'd be as well keeping the 16's. I think all alloys on the ranges of IQ's are nice

I kinda fancy the multi-spoked 'titanium' Toyota accessories wheels - and think the darker ones would go well with the burnt orange

Do you like my wheels? they are 18's x 215 x 35

David

post-109788-0-45033400-1336073735_thumb.

post-109788-0-85818300-1336073772_thumb.

post-109788-0-43751400-1336073804_thumb.

Agree with yous all there like, i actually bought a set of wheels and fitted them on. Decided the oem's looked better haha!

J

If/when I do replace the wheels I'll be keeping to either the 15's or 16's but just a wider version. Whilst checking my car against David's the ride height was very close, so mine might already be lowered. Need to get underneth to check.

Fish

Really like the look of 18's but it must slaughter the ride!!! tempted myself but think i'll stick to small wheels!

The wheels do suit the car, bit big for my taste though. Well hopefully be purchasing Craigs Eibach springs so that will improve things both visually and driveabilty :)

Sweet wheels David

What make are they and do you know what offset they are? My biggest fear about getting new wheels is paying out loads of money then wishing they were just a bit more offset but your's seem to fill the arches very nicely.

Craig.

I can't decide on wheels either.

On one hand I really don't want to change them while they have plenty of tread on them and I like the look of my 16" wheels but it would be good if there just a bit further out in the arches.

Anyone tried wheel spacers although with studs and wheel nuts it becomes a bit more difficult to add them and keep a safe amount of thread engagement to hold the wheels on?

Craig.

You should be able to get longer wheel studs to replace your existing ones. They press in and out of the wheel hubs (or they did on older cars).

Ooohhh yeah, You're right.

Just looked at the workshop manual and the studs on the front and rear are a simple press in stud and you can even get them out by just taking the brake disc off, no need to take the hub and bearing apart.

Interesting...... :)

Craig.

Hi all if any body is interested I have a set of four new boxed 17 inch wolf race alloys multi spoke silver / black bought them for my iq but have aygo fire now I can e mail pics to anyone interested want£300 could post for£25.

• 3 years later...

Back from the shop, had the H&R 35mm springs installed, ride is only slightly stiffer but got the lowered look I was after, doesn't look like a mini countryman anymore, passed the MCM shoe test so all good!

post-150197-0-08167300-1442057800_thumb.

post-150197-0-14996200-1442057805_thumb.

post-150197-0-54434400-1442057812_thumb.

• Like 1