Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Short & Sweet

mike n helen

The time has come for me to part with my iQ after only a few short months. I purchased the car in anticipation of another bad winter and didn't want to get stuck in the snow with my rear wheel drive car. The snow didn't come so now it's time to part with my little car. I've part ex'd it so the other night there was some frantic activity to remove my lowering springs and the wheels I purchased less than 1 month ago. Managed to change the lowering springs back to the standard ones in less than 2.5 hrs, easy once you know how.

The car looked so much better with them on in my opinion,

Mike

9966_43786.jpg

:( So you buy cars just for the winter? Wish I could do that.

Good luck with your new ride. (Let the posts wanting your springs start)

Fish

The time has come for me to part with my iQ after only a few short months. I purchased the car in anticipation of another bad winter and didn't want to get stuck in the snow with my rear wheel drive car. The snow didn't come so now it's time to part with my little car. I've part ex'd it so the other night there was some frantic activity to remove my lowering springs and the wheels I purchased less than 1 month ago. Managed to change the lowering springs back to the standard ones in less than 2.5 hrs, easy once you know how.

The car looked so much better with them on in my opinion,

Mike

9966_43786.jpg

Wow! you have money to burn, although its hardly a car for winter driving. A 4 x 4 would have been better. I would not even drive my iQ in the snow, as it's the other drivers you have worry about.

Any advice on changing the springs in 2.5 hours? Going to do mine fairly soon so if there is any shortcuts be good to hear them.

Are you selling the springs and wheels?

Craig.

The rear springs are very easy to change and took me only 20mins. I have the benefit of a ramp in my garage, but the same applies if you're working with axle stands.

6994_30801.jpg

jack the rear of the car up and support it on alxe stands. Remove the rear wheels. Remove the bolt which holds the ABS cable on the rear subframe, as this gets very tight when you remove the springs. With a trolley jack supporting the mounting point, remove the lower bolt from the rear shock, then gentley lower the trolley jack. Repeat this for the other side, but this time be very careful when lowering it as the springs will now want to push it down all the way. Once lowered you can then easily remove the springs and fit the new ones. Jack it back up and fit the lower damper bolt and then repeat for the other side, don't forget to refit the ABS cable brackets.

The fronts are straight foreward too, just takes a little longer because you have to remove all of the plastic trim to access the bolts on the top of the struts. Make sure you have a ball joint splitter to remove the track rod ends otherwise you'll not get the struts off the car, other than that it's all pretty straight forward.

I am selling the wheels/tyres and springs seperatley I have the wheels here on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/alloy-wheels-and-tyres-17-inch-4-x-100-stud-fittment/101602729 I haven't advertised the springs yet, if somebody local wanted to buy them I could fit them too for a small price ^_^

Mike

You have a ramp in your garage???????? Color me green with envy!

Green_with_envy_____by_HumanDescent.jpg

And I'd like the springs but knowing my limitations they would never get fitted . . . .

Thanks for the advice Mike, very useful and I should be tackling this job fairly soon so I'll remember what you said. I'm sure in the manual it says to remove the entire rear axle to get the springs out but your method sound so much easier! :)

I have a ball joint splitter with a lever arm, not the chisel type and I have spring compressors too if needed but it sounds fairly straight forward.

Paul, If you do get the springs and I fit mine without too many problems maybe we could tackle yours together?

Craig.

Thanks for the advice Mike, very useful and I should be tackling this job fairly soon so I'll remember what you said. I'm sure in the manual it says to remove the entire rear axle to get the springs out but your method sound so much easier! :)

I have a ball joint splitter with a lever arm, not the chisel type and I have spring compressors too if needed but it sounds fairly straight forward.

Paul, If you do get the springs and I fit mine without too many problems maybe we could tackle yours together?

Craig.

Craig, I think I read in the manual you have to remove the exhaust too, :huh: not necessary so long as you slowly let the jack down once the dampers are disconnected. (don't forget the ABS brackets too)

If you have tools like ball joint splitters and spring compressors in your tool box then you must be confident with hammers and spanners and therefore should have no problems doing the job.

Paul, The springs have been spoken for by another member, but will let you know if the sale falls through,

Mike

Craig.

Oh I know my limitations - and I don't like to get my hands dirty. I make a mean cake and cups of tea tho!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links