Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.33 Coolant Top Up

Tezzer

I previously owned a rover which of course suffered from HGF so I am a little paranoid about coolant levels. So on my yaris I have marked the maximum and minimum coolant levels I have observed. When it is back from a service it is always higher and wonder if they top it up as a matter of course, it is coming up to the end of its warranty period so will ask the question anyway. Does anyone else need to top theirs up?

Coolant should be midway between the high and low marks with the engine cold. Bear in mind that when the engine is hot the level in the expansion tank will rise a little and fall again as the engine cools. And no you should not have to keep topping up.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Coolant should be midway between the high and low marks with the engine cold. Bear in mind that when the engine is hot the level in the expansion tank will rise a little and fall again as the engine cools. And no you should not have to keep topping up.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Thanks. I realise about the fluctuations which is why I marked the high and low levels I have observed. I have never actually had to top up, I noticed that it is at the lower mark before the service and the high mark afterwards. Coolant is never mentioned on the invoice.

• 3 weeks later...

I always like to fill to the max mark when cold. There is plenty of expansion room above the max mark to allow for expansion. Maybe that's what the Toyota guys are doing too?

It is part of the service for them to 'top up as necessary'