4 replies to this topic

#1 Tezzer

Tezzer

• Registered Member
  • 12 posts
  • Gender*:Male
  • Toyota Model: Yaris 1.33

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

I previously owned a rover which of course suffered from HGF so I am a little paranoid about coolant levels. So on my yaris I have marked the maximum and minimum coolant levels I have observed. When it is back from a service it is always higher and wonder if they top it up as a matter of course, it is coming up to the end of its warranty period so will ask the question anyway. Does anyone else need to top theirs up?

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 Geoff Peace

Geoff Peace

Advanced Club Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Toyota Model: yaris

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

Coolant should be midway between the high and low marks with the engine cold. Bear in mind that when the engine is hot the level in the expansion tank will rise a little and fall again as the engine cools. And no you should not have to keep topping up.

Regards Geoff Peace.

#3 Tezzer

Tezzer

• Registered Member
  • 12 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris 1.33

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

Coolant should be midway between the high and low marks with the engine cold. Bear in mind that when the engine is hot the level in the expansion tank will rise a little and fall again as the engine cools. And no you should not have to keep topping up.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Thanks. I realise about the fluctuations which is why I marked the high and low levels I have observed. I have never actually had to top up, I noticed that it is at the lower mark before the service and the high mark afterwards. Coolant is never mentioned on the invoice.

#4 Q.S.

Q.S.

Guru Member

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  • Toyota Model: Avensis

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

I always like to fill to the max mark when cold. There is plenty of expansion room above the max mark to allow for expansion. Maybe that's what the Toyota guys are doing too?

#5 Cyker

Cyker

Top Rank Poster!

• Registered Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • Toyota Model: Yaris/03

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

It is part of the service for them to 'top up as necessary'

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users